Dunedin Scots

raysox

Alright, so I went to a local Florida State League game, the team was the Dunedin Blue Jays. It's the Advanced A ball team for the Toronto Club, and spring training home (I'm sure Mr. Creamer knows that ^_^ ). Personally I dislike the minor teams having the pro clubs team name. I almost bought a cap, but since it's nothing special(like the Clearwater Threshers set) I didn't. I thought it would be cool if they rebranded with a new team identity. For all of you that don't know, Dunedin is Scots-Gaelic for Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland. I chose the name Scots to represent that. I didn't chose highlanders, 'cause that's the middle school's team name.

Alright that was the back story, here's the logos. I chose navy, and green as the colours. I did that because the pictures of tartan kilts are those colours, and the Scottish national teams are blue. The scripts are cursive "Scots", and "Dunedin", with the secondary being a cursive D. The primary is Scots over bagpipes!!!!one!1! The high school's band plays bagpipes, so I thought it would work. The tertiary is an angry Scotsman! It was modeled after the Ottawa Senators zephyr hat logo.

DUN.png

The only thing I don't know about is the primary, and the tertiary. Even though they're the coolest.

Jerseys. Nothing out of the ordinary here. I used 2 piping...things? One navy, and one green. I made a blue alternate too.

DUNj.png

Here's what they would look like ON THE PLAYERS!!!! XTREME!

ActionScots.png

the X makes it cool.

Alright laddies, and lassies. C&C is welcome. I might make a tartan alternate if you guys would like.

Alright, so I went to a local Florida State League game, the team was the Dunedin Blue Jays. It's the Advanced A ball team for the Toronto Club, and spring training home (I'm sure Mr. Creamer knows that ^_^ ). Personally I dislike the minor teams having the pro clubs team name. I almost bought a cap, but since it's nothing special(like the Clearwater Threshers set) I didn't. I thought it would be cool if they rebranded with a new team identity. For all of you that don't know, Dunedin is Scots-Gaelic for Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland. I chose the name Scots to represent that. I didn't chose highlanders, 'cause that's the middle school's team name.

Alright that was the back story, here's the logos. I chose navy, and green as the colours. I did that because the pictures of tartan kilts are those colours, and the Scottish national teams are blue. The scripts are cursive "Scots", and "Dunedin", with the secondary being a cursive D. The primary is Scots over bagpipes!!!!one!1! The high school's band plays bagpipes, so I thought it would work. The tertiary is an angry Scotsman! It was modeled after the Ottawa Senators zephyr hat logo.

DUN.png

The only thing I don't know about is the primary, and the tertiary. Even though they're the coolest.

Jerseys. Nothing out of the ordinary here. I used 2 piping...things? One navy, and one green. I made a blue alternate too.

DUNj.png

Here's what they would look like ON THE PLAYERS!!!! XTREME!

ActionScots.png

the X makes it cool.

Alright laddies, and lassies. C&C is welcome. I might make a tartan alternate if you guys would like.

It's not ground breaking but it's pretty well done. Think you could do with maybe repositioning the bagpipes slightly or outlining them in the same green as Scots to help hold the two parts together better, as right now the pipes feel like they are dropping off the bottom a bit.

Your angry Scotsman needs a bit of work, I know over your side of the pond you all think us Scots (yes I am one!) are mad ginger buggers ;) , and while that may be the case for some of us (me? mad... perhaps. ginger? no.) I've yet in my thirty plus years of living here come across a single one of us with as many rows of teeth as your wee mascot has! He must have about four rows of them! In some places over here there are towns that dont have that many teeth! So he needs some work.

And please for the love of all things tasteful DONT do a tartan one! Tartan should be used for Kilts only and trust me you dont wanna be running round playing baseball in a Kilt. Not a good look. Like I said it's not revolutionary but your colour selection is good and it certainly gets across the Scottish theme. Would like to see the concept produced in something other than Paint tho as it tends to make things look rough as guts.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Hope you dont mind... but I liked this so much (especially the reference to the pipes) that I wanted to see it when it was cleaned up. I just ran it though vectormagic, so it's not perfect... but you have done a damn fine job with this.

dunedin_vectorized_free.png

canada.png

You should use vector magic more often, it instantly takes away most of the messiness.

The primary logo is way too busy. So much so that it is hard to tell what that thing is. Try simplifying or arranging it in a way that makes things more visible.

That tertiary logo is really bad, sorry. It looks hand drawn, the smile is kinda scary, the black needs to go, the orange is random...it doesn't work for me.

And I have to agree with patsox, the font is rather ordinary.

I like the idea behind this concept but I think it could be executed in a different way. I like how the one pipe comes thru the "C", but the bagpipe underneath the wordmark looks almost like a spider hanging from it. Perhaps you could make a more stylized version of the bagpipe without having such a detailed plaid pattern. It's too intricate. I think it could be cool if you could turn the "O" in Scots into the bagpipe. Having an "O" in the word gives you a perfect opportunity to incorporate the logo right into the wordmark. If you can' do this, find a way to make it meld together with the word. Maybe you could use a thicker outline or change it to green like 9erssteve recommended. I would say put a gray outline around Scots to tie the two together.

Even though your color scheme is no doubt accurate, it is too dark for a sports logo. How would it look if the blue and green were lightened a hair?

This is an excellent idea and a great start. I hope you can develop this further.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Archived