AFL 50th Anniversary Throwbacks

Jaybird

This year, in honor of the 50th anniversary of the founding of the American Football League, the 8 founding teams will wear throwback uniforms from their AFL days. Some will be from the league's first year of play (1960), while others will be from different eras.

However, in my opinion, I feel that the Miami Dolphins (who began in 1966) and the Cincinnati Bengals (1968) should have throwbacks as well. For Miami, they should have their 1966 uniforms (which I think were worn in the 1972 perfect season). The Bengals should have the uniforms that they had from 1968-1979, with the word "BENGALS" on the helmet and gray facemasks (the black masks came in 1980, the tiger stripes on the helmet came in 1981).

According to Wikipedia (a good source to some, questionable to others), here are the uniforms for the teams:

1. Buffalo Bills-white helmet with red buffalo and uniforms from mid 1960's

2. New England Patriots- white helmet with Pat the Patriot (patriot hiking the football), early 1960's Boston Patriots uniforms

3. New York Jets- blue and gold New York Titans uniforms

4. Tennessee Titans- 1960 Houston Oilers uniforms (Columbia blue helmets, white oil derrick, Columbia blue jerseys). One suggestion to the Titans: don't wear these against the Houston Texans, especially if you play them in Houston unless you want to get booed out of Reliant Stadium.

5. Kansas City Chiefs- uniforms of the Dallas Texans (1960-62, before moving to Kansas City) (It would be something if the Chiefs played the Cowboys in Dallas this year and wore the Dallas Texans' unis).

6. Oakland Raiders-1963 uniforms like the team wore in the 1994 NFL 75th Anniversary season

7. San Diego Chargers-mid-to-late 1960's uniforms with light blue jerseys, I think gold pants with blue lightning bolt, white helmet, gold lightning bolt with black numbers under the bolt.

8. Denver Broncos- the 1960-61 uniforms when the team had brown and yellow as their colors. This will mean brown helmets with white stripes and numbers, yellow (home) and white (road) jerseys with brown numbers, brown pants, and-get this-the socks with brown vertical stripes (Yellow for home, white for road).

If you think Keith Olbermann talked about the yellow and pale blue Philly Eagles throwback unis as "throw-ups", wait until the Jets wear the NY Titans unis and the Broncos wear the brown and yellow unis that were mercifully discarded in 1962 by new coach Jack Faulkner (he burned the unis save for one which is in the NFL Hall of Fame) in favor of orange and blue ones.

Atlanta Braves, please bring back the Indian Head logo.

It all depends, really. Is this 50th Anniversary celebration a celebration of the AFL as a whole, or just the first season of it? If it's the former, then yeah, I guess the Dolphins and Bengals could be included. If it's the latter, however, then no, I have to disagree with you, limit it to the founding teams.

I just wish someone would address or explain (or at least try to) why San Diego's "1963 jersey" is powder blue when they were wearing Pacific Blue in 1963. This according to their own website. Not even self-appointed uni-God Paul Lukas has talked about it (at least that I've seen), which seems rather strange since it's the kind of thing he lives for.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I just wish someone would address or explain (or at least try to) why San Diego's "1963 jersey" is powder blue when they were wearing Pacific Blue in 1963. This according to their own website. Not even self-appointed uni-God Paul Lukas has talked about it (at least that I've seen), which seems rather strange since it's the kind of thing he lives for.

Probably because a sizeable contingent of the general populus and most of the Chargers fanbase has a king-sized boner for powder blue...most without even realizing their shade of blue was a ted deeper and darker back at that time. I myself prefer the pacific blue over the (IMO) vastly overrated powder blue.

(On another note...where you been hiding at?)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Well, it's sort of the same thing with the Colts announcing a couple years ago that they were returning to their classic shade of blue.

ColorWerx helpfully pointed out that the color to which they were changing was actually farther away from the classic shade than the one they were ditching, but such nuances are hard for most fanbases to care about.

Probably because a sizeable contingent of the general populus and most of the Chargers fanbase has a king-sized boner for powder blue...most without even realizing their shade of blue was a ted deeper and darker back at that time. I myself prefer the pacific blue over the (IMO) vastly overrated powder blue.

It's been a hectic couple of months. My wife and I found our dream house way up north of Atlanta. It took a lot of background research on the area and number crunching on the take from our old house (if we could sell it) and what we could do money-wise on the new house before we even decided to go forward. Must have been meant to be because when we were finally ready to market our old house, the sign went up Wednesday and we sold it Sunday for $500 under the asking price. Fortunately my wife had picked a nice growth area in Roswell (Atlanta suburb) back in '02 when she bought the house. Frankly we were shocked because several other houses in the neighborhood had been on the market for months. We staged the house nicely and had a new roof and siding so that helped a lot according to the buyers.

Anyway, 5/22 was a day to remember...a brief recap: 0700 - discover hot water faucet to washing machine won't shut off & a small bit of water leaks through to the living room ceiling before we can shut off & repair the faucet: 0900 - movers show up; 1045 - buyers final walk-through, we agree on how we'll handle the water deal; 1200 - closing to sell our old house; 1300 - closing to buy the new house; 1400 - return home to find the movers couldn't fit everything, left most of what they couldn't take upstairs, and tore up a lot of the trim and walls so we'll have to fix it; 1500 - we rent a 14-foot U-Haul and load it from floor to ceiling from the cab to the back door; 1700 - on the drive to the new house, we see the movers truck - they've already been to the new house, unloaded, and are now enjoying a nice BBQ dinner; 1900 - finish unloading U-Haul, eat dinner and collapse. ;-)

I'm not complaining though, the new place is well worth it and because of the buyer's market and low interest rates, we're not paying much more than we did for our other house.

Football-wise, the holidays will be extra special this year 'cause come 11/22 and 12/27, it's on my friend. Saints at TB and Bucs at Saints respectively. Saints have a weird sked, 1st division game is in Week 8.

It's been a hectic couple of months. My wife and I found our dream house way up north of Atlanta. It took a lot of background research on the area and number crunching on the take from our old house (if we could sell it) and what we could do money-wise on the new house before we even decided to go forward. Must have been meant to be because when we were finally ready to market our old house, the sign went up Wednesday and we sold it Sunday for $500 under the asking price. Fortunately my wife had picked a nice growth area in Roswell (Atlanta suburb) back in '02 when she bought the house. Frankly we were shocked because several other houses in the neighborhood had been on the market for months. We staged the house nicely and had a new roof and siding so that helped a lot according to the buyers.

Anyway, 5/22 was a day to remember...a brief recap: 0700 - discover hot water faucet to washing machine won't shut off & a small bit of water leaks through to the living room ceiling before we can shut off & repair the faucet: 0900 - movers show up; 1045 - buyers final walk-through, we agree on how we'll handle the water deal; 1200 - closing to sell our old house; 1300 - closing to buy the new house; 1400 - return home to find the movers couldn't fit everything, left most of what they couldn't take upstairs, and tore up a lot of the trim and walls so we'll have to fix it; 1500 - we rent a 14-foot U-Haul and load it from floor to ceiling from the cab to the back door; 1700 - on the drive to the new house, we see the movers truck - they've already been to the new house, unloaded, and are now enjoying a nice BBQ dinner; 1900 - finish unloading U-Haul, eat dinner and collapse. ;-)

I'm not complaining though, the new place is well worth it and because of the buyer's market and low interest rates, we're not paying much more than we did for our other house.

Football-wise, the holidays will be extra special this year 'cause come 11/22 and 12/27, it's on my friend. Saints at TB and Bucs at Saints respectively. Saints have a weird sked, 1st division game is in Week 8.

Ain't nothing on, my friend. You really think I expect the Buccaneers to do anything this year? (But, then again...this is the NFL, where anything can happen, apparently. But, still...)

And...congrats on the house, cat. Looks like both of us done made some nice moves here recently.

Back on point...Goth, I agree with that last sentence. Good thing this community doesn't make up the majority of most fanbases then, huh?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Ain't nothing on, my friend. You really think I expect the Buccaneers to do anything this year? (But, then again...this is the NFL, where anything can happen, apparently. But, still...)

And...congrats on the house, cat. Looks like both of us done made some nice moves here recently.

Back on point...Goth, I agree with that last sentence. Good thing this community doesn't make up the majority of most fanbases then, huh?

Back off point...what you got going on in terms of the recent moves?

Archived