Another MLB Redesign Project

The Imperfect

Summer has arrived, baseball is the only sport on television, and I got nothing to do. So I decided after looking at some concepts that trying to re-design some MLB teams would be a fun little adventure to undertake on my slow, slow, old, slow, laptop. I started off with the NL West, because...I don't remember, but this is my Arizona Diamondbacks concept.

When I started off with the Diamondbacks, I looked at their current color set, and I was like, "Wow, purple and turquoise are :censored:ing sweet." So I decided to dump their previous color scheme and convert back to the good 'ole days, but instead of using white I decided I would borrow their current cream/sand color from their current color scheme. Thus I ended up with Arizona Turquoise, Purple, Sonoran Sand, and Black.

I also decided to change around the colors on the old logo, use their current alternate logo with the new colors, and fix around the snake logo. For the script, I used their current script because their previous one when they first joined the league was really crappy. As the home jersey came along, I decided to make it sand instead of white, to give the team a little more originality, and used the pattern found in the main logo as striping along the sleeves and pant sides, and the Road Jersey was nothing more than a color switch to a gray jersey.

For the home alternate, I based it off their old black-alternate jersey, which I love oh-so much. And for the away alternate, I made it purple, and was going to keep the sleeve striping on, but a color switch to get rid of the purple on the sleeve pattern didn't really work, so I dumped that and just kept the pattern on the pant sides.

I hope you guys like it, and hope to receive some comments and criticisms! Thanks!

arizonadiamondbackscopy.png

signature1b.png

signature2qx.png

I never understood why the purple & teal where hated on. The MLB needs other colours other than the red & blue. As for the concept I have no complaints. I really like the old colours with the new logo.

Blackhawks.pngBulls.png

I never understood why the purple & teal where hated on.

Other than the Diamondbacks, no one else use both those colors together. Also, while more people like teal/purple than it seems like, brick/tan/black works way better for an Arizona team. Teal and purple just need to find a place where they belong. Someone made a Marlins concept with teal and purple, and I thought it worked amazingly.

I really like their current color scheme, but I hated them leaving the purple/turquoise colors because it was so original. That's why when I worked on the concept I had clear aspirations to make it work for the team, and instead of just trying to set them apart from every other team (which it still does), but to make it look good in the process. By the way, the Los Angeles Dodgers should be up soon.

signature1b.png

signature2qx.png

I think the reason people hate on it is because teal and purple were both way overused in the nineties. Aesthetically, I thought the diamondbacks looked great in teal and purple. However, within a short period of time MLB saw a lot of teams adopt teal (Diamondbacks, Mariners, Marlins) and purple (Diamondbacks, Rockies, Devil Rays) without any real reason, just sort of blindly following the trends. This happened in really all pro sports (Jaguars, Jazz, Hornets, Raptors, Kings, Pistons). So since the Diamondbacks used both they had unfortunately become really representative of the trend, so regardless of how the colors looked together, it would always say 90s to a lot of people. So they changed it to something that better fits the identity and region.

Anyways, I love the concept, and the color scheme works well with their current logos. I also really like the sand color that you used as well.

Next up in the NL West is the Los Angeles Dodgers. For the logos, I didn't do much, except take the baseball from the main logo and turn it into a patch on the blue alternate jersey. If I recall correctly, I think I also lightened the blue color they use, as I think they darkened the color recently, but I might have just used the regular colors, I can't remember.

In many Dodgers concepts, the artist tends to eliminate the red number on the front of the jersey, but I think it looks sweet, and decided to see how it looked on the back of the jersey as well. I think it looks good, and decided to keep the numbers themselves red. As for the home and away jerseys, I really didn't change much, as I think they have a traditional look that goes well with their color scheme, and for the alternate jersey, I made it all blue, added outlines on the wordmark, numbers, and nameplate, and changed the brim of the hat from blue to white.

Anyways, I hope you guys like it, and I should have the Colorado Rockies up next!

losangelesdodgerscopy.png

signature1b.png

signature2qx.png

First and for most, gray should never be used as a primary color. That's the first thing I eliminated from Colorado's color scheme. I also modified the main logo severely, riding it of the pointless arch and text around it, getting rid of the baseball, reducing the size of the mountain, and just putting the CR logo in the middle. I also got rid of all the gray in the wordmarks, so the teams' colors would be just purple, white, and black (a very nice combination if I do say so myself, because purple is my favorite color.)

Moving onto the jerseys, I decided to get rid of the pinstripes. I know everybody thinks pinstripes are sooooo cool and they are apart of baseball, but I don't think pinstripes should be used by teams that are recently new and never used pinstripes historically. Plus their version of pinstripes were just gray on white, which is incredibly boring, and thus, I decided to make the home jersey itself purple. I also made the pattern on the sleeves more unique for the Rockies, and make them mountains instead of just normal stripes. With the away jersey, I needed to make the jersey itself gray (because that's what I plan to do with each team), but didn't think the mountains looked good on a background which wasn't purple, so I decided to make it a vest jersey, with purple sleeves and a gray top. Finally with the alternate jersey, I really liked their black alternate they have, but don't like the purple sleeves. So I got rid of the purple sleeves, made them black, and changed the hat black as well, except for the brim.

I hope you like this one as well, and I should have the Padres up tomorrow!

coloradorockiescopy.png

signature1b.png

signature2qx.png

Why are people so insistent on using white when there's no white in the color scheme? :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The San Diego Padres are my next team, and right off the bat I decided to go back to their color scheme from 1990, ditching the blue and sand colors, returning to a more original brown and orange. I decided only to have pinstripes on the home jersey, while on the alternate I made the jersey itself orange and changed the cap logo to the swinging friar. I hope you guys like it as I tried to do something a little more out of the box with the Padres. Next up will be the Giants!

sandiegopadrescopy.png

signature1b.png

signature2qx.png

Archived