South Carolina-Upstate Football

sc49erfan15

In my Texas-Arlington concept, dakotapalm (a student at USC-Upstate) requested that his alma mater be an upcoming addition. So, as the next team to be featured in this series, we move back to the Atlantic Sun Conference - a non-football-sponsoring conference, so look for more A-Sun teams in the future. I've already done Belmont and Lipscomb.

The Spartans of the University of South Carolina-Upstate:

UpstateFootball.png

-The University of South Carolina-Upstate is located in Spartanburg, South Carolina. It is the second-largest university in the University of South Carolina system, and the only university in the system (other than the flagship campus in Columbia) to offer Division-I athletics. Upstate has roughly 4,500 students, and is the second-largest Division-I school in the upstate region of South Carolina - behind Clemson.

-USCU started out as a two-year school, and expanded in 1975, becoming the University of South Carolina-Spartanburg. In 2004, the university elected to change its name to the University of South Carolina-Upstate in order to broaden its appeal to the Upstate region (located in northwest South Carolina) and the cities of Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson. The region has a population of roughly 1.3 million.

-I'd explain the history behind the athletics team myself, but there's a really cool blurb in a women's basketball history page that explains it all for me. Check out those logos!

spartanrifles.png

The only thing I have to add is that in 2007, the Spartans moved from the Division II Peach Belt Conference, entering Division I and the Atlantic Sun Conference.

-And the design: I was confused for a while about where to go. I ended up with truncated shoulder stripes and a Broncos-style stripe on the pants. USCU emphasizes green over black, but black is definitely present, so I used it as a trim and on the alternate.

-The main thing I'd like C&C on is the helmet. I didn't want a green helmet with a white spartan because well, there's another, more-well-known university that wears a green helmet with a white spartan. ^_^ None of the other logos were very conducive to a helmet - so, I did something I normally don't do (I prefer to use pre-existing logos, just for reality's sake) - I created a script.

So let me know. Script or Spartan? Anything else that needs an update?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Typically, I am a fan of actual logos being on helmets. Numbers and script are sometimes nice, but should only been done if it has some historical meaning (like the team has been doing it for a while.) However, the Script on this helmet works really well with the helmet. I would go for the script in this case. Of course, you could do the white spartan helmet for some jerseys and the green script for other jerseys.

• 3 months later...

Sorry it took me so long to find my requested work :D

In all seriousness, though, I really like this. It's a good, uncluttered modern look for a young university.

Wholeheartedly agree about the Green Spartan helmet thing, but I think the "Spartans" wordmark on the green helmet would look best. Thanks for giving USC Upstate some love!

Sorry it took me so long to find my requested work :D

In all seriousness, though, I really like this. It's a good, uncluttered modern look for a young university.

Wholeheartedly agree about the Green Spartan helmet thing, but I think the "Spartans" wordmark on the green helmet would look best. Thanks for giving USC Upstate some love!

Save the helmets, it would look like the uniforms of the future for the New York Jets!

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

Archived