2009 U.S. Open

gingerbreadmann

I didn't want to start this earlier as to jinx her, but 17-year-old Melanie Oudin is tearing up established champions left and right. Today's victim was a recovering yet still powerful Maria Sharapova in a gritty 3-setter. Although if she wants to continue this, she needs to convert break and set points much, much more efficiently and not get broken so often. But boy, oh boy, is this exciting.

So far, I have been very impressed with the Americans' play, specifically on the mens' side. Taylor Dent had a hard-fought, emotional win last night, qualifier Jesse Witten gave a much less likable Novak Djokovic a run for his money, Blake somehow hasn't choked yet, Querrey made it to Round 3 and although Andy Roddick is currently down a set, it is to another American. And then there are the Williams sisters and Ms. Oudin for the women. Good stuff and should be a very exciting remainder of the tournament.

Oudin reppin Marietta, Georgia! Hell yes! Not a huge tennis fan but I'm watching now.

I hope she converted you enough to make you stick around to watch UGA's own John Isner beat Roddick in a marathon. Holy balls that match was incredible.

Didn't see that, one match start to finish was enough for me, especially with football on, but sounds like a good day for georgia tennis, I would say that it offsets the showing against oklahoma state, but I would be wrong. :(

That's just shocking. Tiger finally lost a major when he led after three rounds and at the next tennis major, Federer loses a final with a 2 set to 1 lead. Fitting I guess. Didn't expect to see either happen.

That's. Why. They. Play. The. Games.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived