NASL logos for sportlogo.net

MaximGan

Maxim it's been awhile!!

It's not like he might have a life or anything. ;) But I know what you mean. All this has been great we just want more.

One question for all those who frequent this thread. Regarding the United Soccer Association logo:

USA.gif

Has anyone seen a really good original copy of this one? The reason I ask is that it would seem strange that the circle at the lower left would have been a polar projection with an image of North America superimposed on it, particularly with a big white circle in the middle of it. All the other pictures I've seen of the logo are small and of terrible resolution, making it almost impossible to make out what it is. I always assumed that it was a polar map similar to this:

Polar2.gif

Not necessarily all the way down to the equator or with all the lines of longitude, but given that the clubs playing in the league were actually from other countries it make logical sense.

Thoughts?

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maxim it's been awhile!!

It's not like he might have a life or anything. ;) But I know what you mean. All this has been great we just want more.

One question for all those who frequent this thread. Regarding the United Soccer Association logo:

USA.gif

Has anyone seen a really good original copy of this one? The reason I ask is that it would seem strange that the circle at the lower left would have been a polar projection with an image of North America superimposed on it, particularly with a big white circle in the middle of it. All the other pictures I've seen of the logo are small and of terrible resolution, making it almost impossible to make out what it is. I always assumed that it was a polar map similar to this:

Polar2.gif

Not necessarily all the way down to the equator or with all the lines of longitude, but given that the clubs playing in the league were actually from other countries it make logical sense.

Thoughts?

:blush: So Sorry...!

The idea that the International League, was supposed to be embodied in the logo. But .... this is 1967 and the league in most American clubs and players.

This idea is perfectly fit for the later period. Colleagues, there are thoughts and ideas?? Although I myself think that mr. Titanole rights.

The idea that the International League, was supposed to be embodied in the logo. But .... this is 1967 and the league in most American clubs and players.

This idea is perfectly fit for the later period. Colleagues, there are thoughts and ideas?? Although I myself think that mr. Titanole rights.

It's not that the league itself was necessarily international, meaning clubs playing in different countries, although there were teams in Toronto and Vancouver as well as the U.S. The current USL is a good example of that with clubs in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and Bermuda. The teams in the United Soccer Association were in fact whole teams imported from other leagues to "represent" American cities. This was the opposite of their eventual merger partner NPSL which was a more domestic league.

The USA clubs and their real identities were:

Boston Rovers = Shamrock Rovers (Ireland)

Chicago Mustangs = Cagliari (Italy)

Cleveland Stokers = Stoke City (England)

Dallas Tornado = Dundee United (Scotland)

Detroit Cougars = Glentoran (Northern Ireland)

Houston Stars = Bangu (Brazil)

Los Angeles Wolves = Wolverhampton Wanderers (England)

New York Skyliners = Cerro (Uruguay)

San Francisco Gales = ADO Den Haag (Netherlands)

Toronto City = Hibernian (Scotland)

Vancouver Royal Canadians = Sunderland (England)

Washington Whips = Aberdeen (Scotland)

This is a little different than the International Soccer League from 1960 to 1965 where teams from around the world played in the U.S. as themselves and most of the matches were played in New York City with some other cities hosting matches as well. That was really more of a summer tournament with few clubs playing more than one year.

But to the point of the logo itself, without a decent picture of what it really looked like we're all basically just taking our best guesses.

I don't intend this to be a criticism of your work. I really enjoy all the great stuff you've done so far and look forward to the completion of the remaining few clubs. It's fantastic to finally have nice clean images for these old classic logos from the history of the game in the U.S. Brilliant stuff!

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

Titanole,

I totally agree with you and your story completely convinces me that your version is absolutely correct! Thank you for helping me in this work!

The logo will change, I think we are on the right way and the basic logo was just such....

I just picked up on this thread now. Previously, I knew nothing about the NASL (though I'd heard of some of the teams). Paging through all these wonderfully-rendered logos has left my jaw hanging. Aside from Maxim's outstanding work, it's like these logos and kits were designed by the 1970s--by the decade itself. So much orange! It's horrible and exciting all at the same time. For someone who missed out on the 70s entirely, I almost feel like I can see them (it? Is a decade described thus plural or singular...?) just looking through these logos. And oddly enough, the experience is filling me with anticipation for the start of the World Cup...

Kudos, Maxim! Keep up the great work!

it's like these logos and kits were designed by the 1970s--by the decade itself. So much orange! It's horrible and exciting all at the same time. For someone who missed out on the 70s entirely, I almost feel like I can see them (it? Is a decade described thus plural or singular...?) just looking through these logos.

Two words.

BROWN FRINGE!!!

OUTSTANDING!!

I remember the day back in '83 when the Sounders debuted their new logo and kits - at the time I thought they were soooo unimaginative and gaunt. At least the MISL, at that time, fielded some colorfully-attired teams with cool logos. And the Stars look great, as back then I wasn't aware that St. Louis had such a team in the NASL.

Maxim, you've done it again. Infinite kudos to you, sir, and thank you again for sharing and amazing us with your graphic talent! :woot::woot::woot:

--Larry

Glad to finally see the Rowdies set. Being a Strikers fan I hated them when they played, but now I just look back with nostalgia. Those were some fun matches. And the rivalry between fans from Tampa and Fort Lauderdale was pretty good too. I hope some day Miami FC moves permanently to Lockhart Stadium (they have been splitting time between Fort Lauderdale and Miami), change their name to the Strikers and renew the old Rowdies-Strikers battles.

Archived