NASL logos for sportlogo.net

MaximGan

BEAUTIFUL WORK on all three teams, MaximGan! :woot:

About the San Diego Jaws' logo, wasn't there a version that showed a shark with a soccer ball near it's tail? Just wondering, otherwise, it's perfect! And your execution of San Antonio's logos and kits is OUTSTANDING! It's very interesting and noteworthy how that club's 1976 kits, as well as the Hartford Bicentennials' name, directly commemorated America's 200th Birthday.

I have a personal observation of mine to share. Seems like 1975 was a big year for sports in San Antonio; the NASL's Thunder played their first season there. That same year, the American Basketball Association's Spurs completed their second season at HemisFair Arena, and the World Football League's San Antonio Wings began their first...and last, season there. For a time, it appeared as though San Antonio was "playin' with the big boys" in terms of professional sports.

--Larry

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About the San Diego Jaws' logo, wasn't there a version that showed a shark with a soccer ball near it's tail?

Yep.

6089.gif

The shark looks like a photo incorporated into the logo, which I always thought was a little strange. I wonder how hard that would be to render. By the look of the work Maxim has been doing, I wouldn't put it past him to pull it off.

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

About the San Diego Jaws' logo, wasn't there a version that showed a shark with a soccer ball near it's tail?

Yep.

6089.gif

The shark looks like a photo incorporated into the logo, which I always thought was a little strange. I wonder how hard that would be to render. By the look of the work Maxim has been doing, I wouldn't put it past him to pull it off.

This particular version of the Jaws' logo just has an undeniably "cool" look to it. I thoroughly appreciate and admire Maxim's work so far, and hope that he can include a Jaws logo with the shark and ball when he has the time to undertake it. As to the shark itself, whether it was an existing photo incorporated onto the logo or a detailed rendering specifically drawn, it's presence gives it a rather eerie and intimidating look to it, much like the great white shark itself, and perfectly ties in the logo to the sensation that the movie 'Jaws' created the year before. Too bad the same couldn't have been said for the club, given it's original year of operation in San Diego!

--Larry

San-Diego-JawsShark-logo.gif

Not bad at all. If that logo was being designed today without a photographic shark, that's probably close to what someone would have come up with.

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

MaximGan, so far, you've infinitely impressed all of us with your superb, detailed renderings of NASL logos and kits. I was wondering if you had any plans to give the same treatment to the other soccer leagues sometime in the future, like ASL II and/or the MISL? Thanks!

--Larry

Season 1970 Kits

Wanted Away Kit

Season 1971 Kits

Rochester-Lancers1971Kit.gif

Season 1971 ALT Home Kit (long sleeve)

Rochester-Lancers1971KitALT.gif

Season 1972-73

Wanted

Season 1974 Kits

Rochester-Lancers1974Kit.gif

Season 1975 Kits

Rochester-Lancers1975Kit.gif

Season 1976 Kits

Rochester-Lancers1976Kit.gif

Season 1977 Kits

Rochester-Lancers1977Kit.gif

Season 1977 ALT Kits

Rochester-Lancers1977KitALT-away.gif

Season 1978-79 Kits

Rochester-Lancers1978-79Kits.gif

Season 1980 Kits

Rochester-Lancers1980Kit.gif

Dear Max,

I'm sorry to have to tell you this but there are some errors in your Lancers time line. I personally outfitted the Lancers from 1968 (ASL days) until 1973. So let me try and point out to you where you are in error.

First- The Lancers always wore their colored jerseys at home. From 1968-70 the home uniform consisted of Royal/Gold striped jersey, solid Royal shorts and solid Gold socks. All uniform components were made by Bukta of England. All lettering and decoration was done in Rochester. The road uniform of the same period was all-White long sleeve jerseys, White shorts and White socks. Again from Bukta and lettered in Rochester.

The striped Bukta jerseys shown were always the HOME JERSEY. You'll note that they have full block (Stahls Varsity Block) numbers on front but plain block (Stahls Pro Block) numbers on back. This is because we only (at team request) numbered the backs when the shirts were new in '68. The front numbers and the logo patch were added by our own seamstress before the Lancers entered the NASL in 1970.

The first new jersey style the Lancers wore was in 1971 when the Gold short sleeve with the White/Royal/Gold trim on the neck and sleeve ends debuted. Two-color Royal-on-White tackle twill numbers were put on at the factory. These shirts were made out of Stretch Nylon Mesh by Russell Athletic of Alexander City, Alabama and sold by me at Ruby's Sporting Goods in Rochester. At first these jerseys were worn without the crest on the upper left chest. They also wore these on the road at times. These jerseys were extremely durable and lasted for at least the last three years ('71-'72-'73) that we outfitted the Lancers.

The uniform that you identify as the "1971 Home Alternate" is actually the Lancers' primary ROAD uniform from 1968-73.

As to the White jersey with the Royal sleeves-I know the team never wore such a jersey. From the dates on your work it indicates that you got your information from www.NASLjerseys.com. The team photo that shows a side wearing the colored-sleeve jerseys is not the Lancers at all! It's the Washington Diplomats. I know this to be true because I personally spoke with the owner of the www.NASLjerseys.com web site and inquired as to "Who are those guys?" He told me he goofed and they were actually the Diplomats. I took care of the Lancers for six years. I got to know the players personally. I recognize "my guys" on sight. Read my lips! That team is not the Lancers!

That "75 Road" jersey itself is actually the home Russell mesh from '71-'73. I know they wore them at home through '73. After then we stopped being the Lancers' outfitters.

So here's a chart with the Lancers NASL uniforms that we did:

1970 HOME- Striped Bukta S/S, Solid Royal shorts, Solid Gold socks

1971-73 HOME- Gold Russell S/S, Solid Royal shorts, Solid Gold socks

Gold Russell shirt occasionally worn on road

1970-73 ROAD- All-White Bukta L/S, Solid White shorts, Solid White socks

I am in no way criticizing your work. You should be commended for it. But we're talking 40 years ago. I would venture to guess that you're not 40 and even if you are you'd have been too young to understand what the NASL teams wore in those days.

I offer my corrections regarding the Lancers only because I was there, I have first-hand knowledge of what they wore. Plus if your work is going to be posted on the Creamer logo site and thus become a point of reference for people I would hope that you would want it to be as correct as possible. Good job thus far.

Bulldogbarks55,

Many thanks for your help and comments!!!

It is very important for me! All information on the given question I take from web pages Dave Morrison-NASLJersey. For both of us you valuable partnership!

I will correct files on your memoirs. If at you cuttings from newspapers or a photo scans have remained, I will be glad to see them.

Archived