NASL logos for sportlogo.net

MaximGan

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you very much for the information you've provided, bulldogbarks55! By the way, about the team crest on the 1971 kits, how long was it before they were sewn onto the jerseys? Looking forward to hearing from you again on this subject.

--Larry

If I remember correctly it was before the start of the 1972 season. You have to remember, until the NASL signed a uniform agreement (with adidas I think) all teams were responsible for purchasing their own uniforms. Needless to say most teams were not overly flush with cash. That's why jerseys had to last for three or four seasons and many times the decoration of a shirt was a piece-meal thing. For example the Lancers original Royal/Gold striped Bukta jerseys debuted in 1968 when they were still in the American Soccer League. For that first season they only had enough money for 8" one-color numbers (Stahls Pro-Block) on the back. It was my idea to have the numbers sewn on with a dark, contrasting thread in order to make them more visible. I can't remember if we used Black or Navy thread for the contrast. The Lancers wore the striped jerseys like that again in 1969.

When they joined the NASL for 1970 the Lancers decided to upgrade the two-year old Bukta stripes rather than purchase new jerseys. The Bukta stripes, which were 100% Mercerized (pre-shrunk) Cotton were just like new. They were a quality product. So all we did to the jerseys was to add the embroidered team crest to the left chest (crests purchased from Voyager Emblems of Canada through their U.S. broker in the Niagara Falls, NY area) and put 6" numbers on the front (this time Stahls Varsity Block font. We had switched seamstresses by 1970). So for the rediculously low price of around $4.00 per jersey ($2.00 for numbers, $2.00 for the crest) the Lancers jerseys looked altogether new with these simple cosmetic changes. Believe me, even $4.00 per jersey for 18 or so jerseys was a major expense for the cash-strapped Lancers.

You can see Carlos Metidieri's actual No. 11 Bukta striped jersey on line at www.nasljerseys.com and you'll notice the different style front and back numbers.

I might also remind Max that the Lancers wore NO adidas components in their uniforms from 1968-73. All jerseys were either from Bukta or Russell and shorts and socks were both made by Bukta of England. We got Bukta from the U.S. distributor, the Peter Green Limited Co. located at 13 West Gay St. in West Chester, PA 19380-3010.

One other story about the Lancers. On the very day in 1970 that Carlos Metidieri arrived at the Rochester airport from Brazil he was picked up by Lancers trainer Joe "Red Card" Sirianni. Joe spoke fluent Italian and Carlos (he spoke Italian and Portugese) knew very little English. The very first place that Joe took Carlos was to our store to get him a pair of soccer shoes. We stocked adidas (we were still the ONLY adidas dealer in Rochester in 1970, thank you!) shoes but did not have any shoes small enough for Carlos. The smallest size we carried was a 5US. Carlos needed a 4 1/2. So I got on the phone to the adidas distribotor, Carlsen Import Shoe Co. of NYC and spoke with owner Dave Murray. Unfortunately he was out of size 4 1/2 and it would have been a couple of weeks to get a pair.

So I called Max Doss's Soccer Sport Supply Co., also in NYC and inquired if they had any 4 1/2 soccer shoes. Well, they did. I ordered one pair with removable cleats and one pair of molded-sole shoes. They were air-freighted to Rochester and we had them the next day. Carlos and Joe were forever greatful for our service. The Lancer players and support staff were all class guys.

When the team played at Holleder (nee Aquinas) Stadium the visitors dressed at Aquinas Institute High School about a mile or so away. I was one of a caravan of cars that shuttled the visiting players to the stadium. I enjoyed the games back then and got to know many of the Lancers quite well. Dick Howard, Peter Short, Charlie Mitchell, Carlos and Frank Odoi were regular visitors to our store. When the pro teams bought their uniforms and equipment locally you felt closer to them. You felt like you had an interest in the team and were proud that "your" uniforms would be seen all throughout North America. I wouldn't trade those days for anything.

Improbably!!!

You worked in a team???? It is a fantastic!!! :shocked:

I worked for the sporting goods store that the Lancers bought their uniforms and shoes from, not directly for the team. I helped out at the home games as a "gofer" who did all of the errands that needed to be done. It was great fun. After the Lancers folded the Rochester Flash joined the American Soccer League in 1982. We outfitted the Flash all of the years they played.

Thank you very much for the information you've provided, bulldogbarks55! By the way, about the team crest on the 1971 kits, how long was it before they were sewn onto the jerseys? Looking forward to hearing from you again on this subject.

--Larry

If I remember correctly it was before the start of the 1972 season. You have to remember, until the NASL signed a uniform agreement (with adidas I think) all teams were responsible for purchasing their own uniforms. Needless to say most teams were not overly flush with cash. That's why jerseys had to last for three or four seasons and many times the decoration of a shirt was a piece-meal thing. For example the Lancers original Royal/Gold striped Bukta jerseys debuted in 1968 when they were still in the American Soccer League. For that first season they only had enough money for 8" one-color numbers (Stahls Pro-Block) on the back. It was my idea to have the numbers sewn on with a dark, contrasting thread in order to make them more visible. I can't remember if we used Black or Navy thread for the contrast. The Lancers wore the striped jerseys like that again in 1969.

When they joined the NASL for 1970 the Lancers decided to upgrade the two-year old Bukta stripes rather than purchase new jerseys. The Bukta stripes, which were 100% Mercerized (pre-shrunk) Cotton were just like new. They were a quality product. So all we did to the jerseys was to add the embroidered team crest to the left chest (crests purchased from Voyager Emblems of Canada through their U.S. broker in the Niagara Falls, NY area) and put 6" numbers on the front (this time Stahls Varsity Block font. We had switched seamstresses by 1970). So for the rediculously low price of around $4.00 per jersey ($2.00 for numbers, $2.00 for the crest) the Lancers jerseys looked altogether new with these simple cosmetic changes. Believe me, even $4.00 per jersey for 18 or so jerseys was a major expense for the cash-strapped Lancers.

You can see Carlos Metidieri's actual No. 11 Bukta striped jersey on line at www.nasljerseys.com and you'll notice the different style front and back numbers.

I might also remind Max that the Lancers wore NO adidas components in their uniforms from 1968-73. All jerseys were either from Bukta or Russell and shorts and socks were both made by Bukta of England. We got Bukta from the U.S. distributor, the Peter Green Limited Co. located at 13 West Gay St. in West Chester, PA 19380-3010.

One other story about the Lancers. On the very day in 1970 that Carlos Metidieri arrived at the Rochester airport from Brazil he was picked up by Lancers trainer Joe "Red Card" Sirianni. Joe spoke fluent Italian and Carlos (he spoke Italian and Portugese) knew very little English. The very first place that Joe took Carlos was to our store to get him a pair of soccer shoes. We stocked adidas (we were still the ONLY adidas dealer in Rochester in 1970, thank you!) shoes but did not have any shoes small enough for Carlos. The smallest size we carried was a 5US. Carlos needed a 4 1/2. So I got on the phone to the adidas distribotor, Carlsen Import Shoe Co. of NYC and spoke with owner Dave Murray. Unfortunately he was out of size 4 1/2 and it would have been a couple of weeks to get a pair.

So I called Soccer Sport Supply Co., also in NYC and inquired if they had any 4 1/2 soccer shoes. Well, they did. I ordered one pair with removable cleats and one pair of molded-sole shoes. They were air-freighted to Rochester and we had them the next day. Carlos and Joe were forever greatful for our service. The Lancer players and support staff were all class guys.

When the team played at Holleder (nee Aquinas) Stadium the visitors dressed at Aquinas Institute High School about a mile or so away. I was one of a caravan of cars that shuttled the visiting players to the stadium. I enjoyed the games back then and got to know many of the Lancers quite well. Dick Howard, Peter Short, Charlie Mitchell, Carlos and Frank Odoi were regular visitors to our store. When the pro teams bought their uniforms and equipment locally you felt closer to them. Like you had an interest in the team and were proud that your uniforms would be seen all throughout North America. I wouldn't trade those days for anything.

Bulldogbarks55, that is a very fascinating story, and I'm very glad that you shared that with us here! So, from you've told us, the jerseys during the 1971 season didn't have the team's crest, but did in time for the following season. That bit of detail will definitely help with chronicling Rochester's kits more correctly.

On a personal note, I was generally aware of the NASL as a kid in the '70s, and heard about my local team, the Dallas Tornado, but didn't follow them at all. Later, I was able to see several of their games on television, and remember the day in '81 when it was announced that the team had folded. Had I been older, I might have taken advantage of the opportunity and gone to see them at Ownby Stadium on the SMU campus in Dallas, or at the soon to be demolished Texas Stadium in Irving during their last two years of existence. I didn't know all the players, but I did know about striker Kyle Rote, Jr. and goalie Kenny Cooper.

Thank you, again, bulldogbarks55, and we're looking forward to hearing from you again soon!

--Larry

Waiting..patiently...for the rest of this great series!

Really? And I thought I was the only one! (j/k) :lol:

I'm guessing Maxim's correcting the Rochester kits, as per bulldogbarks55's invaluable information. Finishing that, the next major teams that we'll see should be the St. Louis Stars, San Jose Earthquakes, and Seattle Sounders, which will complete the "S" teams. But hey, he's only one man! :D

--Larry

Still to come:

Colorado Caribous

Team Hawaii

New England/Jacksonville Tea Men

San Jose/Golden Bay Earthquakes

Seattle Sounders

Tampa Bay Rowdies

Toronto City

Toronto Falcons

Toronto Metros/Metros-Croatia/Blizzard

Tulsa Roughnecks

Vancouver Royals

Vancouver Whitecaps

Washington Whips

Washington Darts

Washington Diplomats

Waiting with baited breath!!!!

Still to come:

Colorado Caribous

Team Hawaii

Seattle Sounders

Tampa Bay Rowdies

Toronto City

Toronto Falcons

Tulsa Roughnecks

Vancouver Royals

Vancouver Whitecaps

Washington Whips

Washington Darts

Washington Diplomats

Don't forget St. Louis Stars.

Still to come:

Colorado Caribous

Team Hawaii

Seattle Sounders

Tampa Bay Rowdies

Toronto City

Toronto Falcons

Tulsa Roughnecks

Vancouver Royals

Vancouver Whitecaps

Washington Whips

Washington Darts

Washington Diplomats

And Team America, too. Just one season played, and a final record of 10-20, but still a part of the NASL. I tend to think of them as a trivial subject from the Eighties, like the MISL, leg warmers, and Rubik's Cube. :lol:

--Larry

Still to come:

Colorado Caribous

Team Hawaii

Seattle Sounders

Tampa Bay Rowdies

Toronto City

Toronto Falcons

Tulsa Roughnecks

Vancouver Royals

Vancouver Whitecaps

Washington Whips

Washington Darts

Washington Diplomats

And Team America, too. Just one season played, and a final record of 10-20, but still a part of the NASL. I tend to think of them as a trivial subject from the Eighties, like the MISL, leg warmers, and Rubik's Cube. :lol:

--Larry

You are so right! Team America came along during the dying years of the NASL.

By the way, I'm hoping that Maxim will include the logo of another predecessor of the NASL: the United Soccer Association (USA).

It's not a particularly spectacular or eye-catching logo, but I'd like to see it included because of it's historical contribution to the phenomenon that was the NASL. From what I've come to understand, the USA was an officially sanctioned 12-team league, and was given the blessing of the United States Soccer Football Association (USSFA, now the U.S. Soccer Federation) and FIFA for play in 1967. That same year, an "outlaw" league, the National Professional Soccer League (NPSL), was formed and began play with 10 teams, with some franchises playing in the same cities as the USA. As pretty much every soccer historian knows, after their seasons were completed, the two rival leagues combined and formed the NASL in 1968, and played until the league folded in 1984.

Anyway, I thought I would include this one request/suggestion, for the record. I also look forward to seeing Maxim's NASL creations very soon!

--Larry

By the way, I'm hoping that Maxim will include the logo of another predecessor of the NASL: the United Soccer Association (USA).

It's not a particularly spectacular or eye-catching logo, but I'd like to see it included because of it's historical contribution to the phenomenon that was the NASL. From what I've come to understand, the USA was an officially sanctioned 12-team league, and was given the blessing of the United States Soccer Football Association (USSFA, now the U.S. Soccer Federation) and FIFA for play in 1967. That same year, an "outlaw" league, the National Professional Soccer League (NPSL), was formed and began play with 10 teams, with some franchises playing in the same cities as the USA. As pretty much every soccer historian knows, after their seasons were completed, the two rival leagues combined and formed the NASL in 1968, and played until the league folded in 1984.

Anyway, I thought I would include this one request/suggestion, for the record. I also look forward to seeing Maxim's NASL creations very soon!

--Larry

Yes anything that Maxim gives us is great! It's been awhile....

Maxium i'm still using your great works for my FIFA 10 NASL History project. I know that you are very busy and this is hard work, just please don't forget us and keep them coming till the end!! Thanks for all of your very hard work!!!! If you have the FIFA 10 PC video game, I will pass you along the completed version of the NASL History project as soon as it's completed.

Archived