2010 National Lacrosse League season thread

Viper

With training camps in full swing, and now today's news of the league's biggest blockbuster trade in recent memory - which is saying a lot - I thought now was as good a time as any to fire up the 2010 NLL thread.

Today's trade is just the latest development in a very busy offseason for the NLL which has already seen:

• The San Jose Stealth move to Everett, Washington
  • The New York Titans - fresh off their appearance in last year's Champion's Cup final - move to Orlando
  • The Portland LumberJax go dark for 2010, but with their former head coach and a big chunk of their '09 roster now plying their trades with the Edmonton Rush
  • Gavin Prout get traded twice in one week - first from Colorado to Rochester, and then from there to Edmonton
  • The injury-depleted Rochester Knighthawks not only get their missing stars John Grant Jr. and Scott Evans back, but a ton of other talent as well, making them early favorites in the East
  • Minnesota (and Iroquois Nationals) head coach Duane Jacobs step down from the Swarm and later turn up in Buffalo, to be replaced in St. Paul by former assistant Mike Lines
  • The league cancel its 2010 All-Star Game, apparently for lack of teams interested in hosting it; instead they recently staged an all-star doubleheader in that lacrosse hotbed of Melbourne, Australia (this event also featured a logo that some had speculated would soon replace the current NLL logo itself, but that did not materialize)

While their division rivals in Edmonton, Colorado and Minnesota have done some serious wheeling and dealing over the summer and fall, the defending champions in Calgary only did some minor retooling. Can't blame them for not messing with success, but will (mostly) the same cast of characters be enough to propel the Roughnecks to another Cup? My preseason picks are coming in a week or two, but for now, discuss away...

CCSLC signature.png

I can't wait for the start of the season. About 3 and a half weeks away!!!

By the way, I don't like the name Washington Stealth. When I think "Washington" sports teams, I think Washington, D.C. and not a team that starts their home games at 11 PM Eastern. "Seattle Stealth" has a better ring to it with the alliteration.

Alas, it seems naming the team for Seattle would not have sit well with the fan base in Everett. Still, they could have come up with a better compromise. Puget Sound Stealth, anyone?

At least their latest logo (this, from what I gather will be their primary for 2010) doesn't leave much doubt as to which Washington the team represents:

washg.jpg

CCSLC signature.png

2 words: "go rock!"

But seriously, you'd have to think that Rochester and Calgary looks like a very safe pick for the Champion's cup this year.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

My biggest problem with the NLL logos is that most of them are too font-heavy.

I HATE The current Rock logo, it's not like they are the only Canadian team so having a maple leaf is stupid. I wish they'd go back to the old logo with the CN Tower playing a lacrosse stick like it's a guitar.

I also think Boston really messed up a chance to have a great logo, with all the history attached to the Blazers name. Where's the green?

I like Orlando's logo and Philidelphia's logos the best (with a honorable mention to the Mammoth) Phily has a logo that basically classic for LAX and I love how the T is worked into the mask for Orlando's logo, too bad they didn't stay in New York though, the whole empire state building in the logo thing was really cool.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

OK, as I promised in the original post, here are my predictions for the 2010 regular season:

East Division

1. Buffalo Bandits: Their 9-3 loss to the Titans in last year's playoffs was an aberration - that's the good news. The bad news is that they don't have the once-hapless Knighthawks to kick around anymore. Still, I find it too hard to pick against a squad with as much proven talent, experience and home-turf advantage as the Bandits. Dewey Jacobs joining the coaching staff and front office doesn't exactly hurt either.
  2. Rochester Knighthawks: Devastated by season-ending injuries to John Grant Jr. and Scott Evans, the K'hawks looked pathetic in the early going of '09, yet still managed to get hot down the stretch and into the playoffs. Now they have their stars back, a ton of young talent picked up in September's draft, and (finally) an heir-apparent to graying netminder Pat O'Toole in Aaron Bold. Don't be surprised to see an all-upstate Eastern final in May.
  3. Orlando Titans: Their swan song as a New York team was the Champion's Cup final against Calgary, so we already know they have a team capable of winning it all. Now that the vagabond franchise has finally found a permanent home in the heart of the Sunshine State, the big questions become how well the Titans will take to their new surroundings, and what kind of home-turf advantage they will enjoy in virgin boxla territory.
  4. Boston Blazers: Blazers 2.0 made a triumphant return to Beantown last season and they hope to make an even bigger splash in their sophomore campaign. That's a pretty tall order in the top-heavy East, especially for a squad that's still a little thin all around. Even making the top four is hardly guaranteed for Boston. Still, it's hard to envision any squad with a nucleus like Dan Dawson, Daryl Veltman, Anthony Cosmo and Brett Queener ending up on the outside looking in.
  5. Toronto Rock: The Rock still have a big task ahead of them in trying to recapture their past glory. Re-acquiring Colin Doyle is a start, but only a start, and an expensive one at that (giving up Lewis Ratcliff, Tyler Codron and Joel Delgarno in the deal with Washington). Finding a successor to Bob Watson in goal is most likely their next big step, but in truth the Rock simply have to rebuild their roster from top to bottom, and they know it.
  6. Philadelphia Wings: After leading the NLL in team scoring in '08, Philly goes most of '09 without injured offensive stud Athan Iannucci (who may or may not be back full-time in '10 is taking this season off to heal his badly damaged knee) and misses the playoffs with a lackluster 7-9 record, and what's the biggest move Wings management makes in the offseason? Why, to close off the upper deck at Wachovia Center and jack up ticket prices for the remaining lower-bowl seats. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!?

West Division

1. Calgary Roughnecks: Unlike their division rivals, the defending champs did not see fit to overhaul their roster, instead doing only some minor retooling. Then again, they are the defending champs. And they shouldn't have many team chemistry issues (which could affect other Western teams with all their new faces). Everyone will be gunning for Tracey Kelusky and company now, but the Riggers should still have more than enough to win the West again.
  2. Minnesota Swarm: 2009's biggest underachievers enter 2010 with a new head coach and a revamped roster, featuring one of the most highly-touted rookies to come along in recent memory, NCAA all-time scoring leader Zack Greer. Goaltending consistency is still a big question mark, though both Nick Patterson and Kevin Croswell are among the best in the business when they do bring their 'A' games. The Blue Crew are the dark horses of the West, if not the entire NLL.
  3. Edmonton Rush: In '09 the Rush shook up their roster after an abysmal first few seasons, and managed to stay in contention until the season's final weekend. This year they get some real talent, with runners Brodie Merrill, Ryan Ward and Gavin Prout coming aboard along with goalie Matt Disher and head coach Derek Keenan. I would be amazed if this wasn't the year Alberta's "other" NLL club finally started making some serious noise.
  4. Washington Stealth: Until last week I had the transplanted Stealth finishing second, with an outside shot at overtaking the Riggers for the division crown. But that was before they traded away one of the league's three best forwards in Doyle. They still have more than enough depth and experience to get into the playoffs, but losing a game-changer like Doyle will probably cost them a first-round home game in Everett.
  5. Colorado Mammoth: I was tempted to put the Swarm here (this seems to be the "lucky spot"; as you may recall I picked Calgary to finish 5th in the West last season), but 2010 looks to be a changing-of-the-guard season in Denver, as the aging Mammoth finally begin a sort of youth movement, spearheaded by the three brothers Gajic. Without Prout (and possibly Dan Carey) or a clear #1 goalie though, this could be a leaner year than the fans in Colorado are accustomed to. Even so, they could still sneak into the playoffs again if the Swarm, Rush or Stealth stumble.

CCSLC signature.png

Viper,

I like your predictions. You always have your finger right on the NLL.

I would disagree with your predictions for the west though. I like the youth coming into Colorado and I believe, barring any melt-down like performance, that they will in fact be 3rd, Edmonton then gets 4th and Washington will drop to 5th. I just get the feeling that the Stealth's day are numbered as they get older and loose a piece of the puzzle with Doyle. I like Lewis Ratcliff a lot, but he's not a game breaker, he's a goal scorer and nothing further. I think the Stealth are really missing a proven veteran presence now. Keep in mind my perception of Ratcliff is based solely off his performance in a Rock jersey.

NLL Insider has a poll out that will probably interest people around these parts:

Which NLL logo is the coolest?

I voted for the Colorado Mammoth, but so far the Knighthawks appear to be winning.

The Toronto Rock logo pictured on their website isn't even their current logo.

Very true. But it is the logo on their jersey........ Don't worry. I'm confused about that too. There's no explanation for it at all.

Viper,

I would disagree with your predictions for the west though. I like the youth coming into Colorado and I believe, barring any melt-down like performance, that they will in fact be 3rd, Edmonton then gets 4th and Washington will drop to 5th. I just get the feeling that the Stealth's day are numbered as they get older and loose a piece of the puzzle with Doyle. I like Lewis Ratcliff a lot, but he's not a game breaker, he's a goal scorer and nothing further. I think the Stealth are really missing a proven veteran presence now. Keep in mind my perception of Ratcliff is based solely off his performance in a Rock jersey.

Well, as I said, 5th in the West is the place to be in my picks. Last year I picked Calgary 5th in the West and they walked off with the Champion's Cup.

CCSLC signature.png

Viper,

Well, as I said, 5th in the West is the place to be in my picks. Last year I picked Calgary 5th in the West and they walked off with the Champion's Cup.

That may have swayed my picks a little bit ;)

• 2 weeks later...

And the season is underway with the Wings and Titans in Orlando! Strangely both teams are wearing white jerseys tonight.

Update: Not surprisingly, the Titans have been wiping the floor with the Wings - 8-3 at the half. Looks like a pretty decent crowd for the Titans' debut in Orlando.

CCSLC signature.png

For anyone who's interested for viewers in Canada the game tomorrow night between the Toronto Rock & The Boston Blazers can be seen on TSN2 I believe it's the first time that NLL has been shown on big time cable in Canada since the 04 season when Sportsnet covered games.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

The Titans wound up winning 13-8 last night. Tonight, Toronto took care of Boston in Colin Doyle's first game back with the Rock, and in the most shocking result of the weekend so far, the Bandits only managed 5 goals in a 10-5 drubbing by the K'hawks (who were also sporting some nice new teal jerseys this evening).

The Swarm open in Calgary tomorrow, a game that's actually being carried on local Twin Cities TV. Meanwhile the Stealth are playing their first game in Washington state now, against Colorado. In an odd bit of revisionist history, they raised a 2008 Western Division championship banner to the Comcast Arena rafters before the game - with the Washington logo on it (the one I posted further up this thread), even though that title was obviously won in San Jose.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived