Duck Concept - Work In Progress

Ben Schwartz

Hey guys, I've been using Photoshop for a long time and decided to use Illustrator to try a logo. I've used Illustrator only a handful of times and never really messed around with much until now. I tried to include elements of a good logo, but I'm not sure if my shadowing makes sense, if it's anatomically correct, or what to do next.

I think it turned out pretty good and it's a good place to start:

duckconcept-2.png

Let me know what you think I can start working on to improve it!

doctorwhozimmermansmall.pngeastdillon.png

walt.png

Well, it's a decent start..you have something to work off of. Proportionally, it looks okay, I can easily settle with that. For one, your outlines need to be so much thicker. Always, always, always use thick outlines, otherwise it looks like it was drawn with a pen.

I think you should stay away from rounded edges, it kinda looks odd that way. Specifically in the bottom left and right edges and the right end of the beak. Also, I know I always stress this alot but USE A LIGHT SOURCE! This will never fail you, and it will always bring life to your work. Since right now it looks as if the light source is coming from the top left, there should be light on the beak (just like you did) and on the top of his head. Below, there should be shadows underneath the beak and in the bottom right area of his head.

Hope this helps :D

not sure about the eyes... looks like a power rangers helmet lol.

Good start so, i'll be checking back on some updates. Good luck.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Well, it's a decent start..you have something to work off of. Proportionally, it looks okay, I can easily settle with that. For one, your outlines need to be so much thicker. Always, always, always use thick outlines, otherwise it looks like it was drawn with a pen.

I think you should stay away from rounded edges, it kinda looks odd that way. Specifically in the bottom left and right edges and the right end of the beak. Also, I know I always stress this alot but USE A LIGHT SOURCE! This will never fail you, and it will always bring life to your work. Since right now it looks as if the light source is coming from the top left, there should be light on the beak (just like you did) and on the top of his head. Below, there should be shadows underneath the beak and in the bottom right area of his head.

Hope this helps :D

I tried to change those shadows but I'm not sure if the one on the head is right. The thicker outlines definitely helped, do I need to go any thicker than that?

duckconcept1-2.png

And with some more shadow:

duckconcept2.png

I don't really like the top head shadow, it looks like he has a comb over or something lol, so I changed the shadow to a different shape, idk how it flows with the other shadows though:

duckconcept4-1.png

walt.png

I'm not really sold on some of the new shading.

An idea you might consider is changing the shading on the top of the head from the first version and making it white - ie turn it into a highlight. I'd also lose the thin shading to the right of the beak.

I also think matching the shading blue and outline blue would look better.

No offense but the first one kind of looks like Adolf Hitler.

Haha, I really didn't notice until you said something. The eyes are not working out on this concept. I feel like the beak and head shape could definitely be readjusted. And the shades don't look clean. Make sure you're getting rid of your rough edges.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

try making the main color the darker blue with the shading lighter blue.

I still think the eyes need to be changed or something, they just look... off.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

i think thats a little better. Maybe something more aggressive eyes... like a duck hitting 'roid rage. lol. I think it is coming along.

What are you trying to accomplish? an intimidating logo? a fun logo? a cool logo that can still make you laugh? I don't want to offer any constructive criticism if you have an idea of what you want and we aren't on the same wave length (hope that made sense).

A little narrower, I'll try some new eyes that are more like CJZ posted

duckconcept66.png

i think thats a little better. Maybe something more aggressive eyes... like a duck hitting 'roid rage. lol. I think it is coming along.

What are you trying to accomplish? an intimidating logo? a fun logo? a cool logo that can still make you laugh? I don't want to offer any constructive criticism if you have an idea of what you want and we aren't on the same wave length (hope that made sense).

At first I didn't really have a direction, but now I guess I'm trying to make him look angry and cool.

--------------

EDIT: I rounded them a little but now he looks a little less angry:

duckconcept99.png

walt.png

its def coming along. I say look at other duck logos as well as logos of other teams and animals. it may help with your technique and design of the eyes and shadows and whatever else you want to add or modify.

Archived