Puerto Rico in Caribbean World Series

totc

In the Caribbean World Series, I'm watching the Dominican Republic playing Puerto Rico. These aren't all-star teams like Little League, but they are the champions of their particular leagues.

The Escogido Leones, champions of the Dominican Republic, are wearing their national-team uniforms.

The Puerto Rico team is not wearing its national-team jersey. Instead, they're wearing their club uniform.

FYI: The team is wearing MA on the front because Indios are actually a merged team. The Mayaguez Indians merged with the Aguadilla Sharks to form the current franchise.

It's kind of like having the U.S. team in the FIFA Women's World Cup wearing the uniforms of the Los Angeles Sol.

Hey TOTC. I'm from Puerto Rico and the winner of the PR Baseball League always wears their respective team uniform in the Caribbean Series. There have been rare ocations where the PR team uses "Puerto Rico" in their uniform and almost always it is when the Series are held here in PR.

Also the Mayaguez-Aquadilla team is not a "merged" team. The Mayaguez Indians are playing their home games in Aquadilla until the start of the 2010-11 season due to the fact that the 2010 Central American Games are gonna be played in Mayaguez and the Isidoro Garcia Stadium (Home of the Indians) was demolished to make way for a new olympic stadium and new baseball stadium. The Aquadilla Sharks have not played professional baseball since 1940's - 50's.

So I take it the Carribean Series is a baseball equivalent to the UEFA Champions League?

Sort of...they take the champions from the Puertorican, Mexican, Venezuelan and Dominican leagues and play a College World Series type of tournament to decide the champion.

Archived