WEC 48

bigcoyotes

Wec-48-poster_medium.jpg

I don't know how many people are into MMA in this community but I thought I'd start a topic about the fight. WEC 48 is this Saturday in Sacramento California. I will be attending. There are going to be 11 fights, 5 on PPV, 2 on Spike TV, and 4 Preliminary Fights. Here they are:

Main Card (on PPV)

Featherweight (145lbs) Championship bout: Jose Aldo (Champion) vs. Urijah Faber [#1 Contender]

Lightweight Championship (155lbs) bout: Ben Henderson (Champion) vs. Donald Cerrone [#1 Contender]

Featherweight (145lbs) bout: Mike Brown vs. Manvel Gamburyan

Lightweight (155lbs) bout: Anthony Njokuani vs. Shane Roller

Bantamweight (135lbs) bout: Antonio Banuelos vs. Scott Jorgensen

Spike TV Card

Featherweight (145lbs) bout: Leonard Garcia vs. Chan Sung Jung

Lightweight (155lbs) bout : Alex Karalexis vs. Anthony Pettis

Preliminary Card

Bantamweight (135lbs) bout: Brad Pickett vs. Demetrious Johnson

Featherweight (145lbs) bout: Chad Mendes vs. Anthony Morrison

Bantamweight (135lbs) bout: Takeya Mizugaki vs. Rani Yahya

Featherweight (145lbs) bout: Brandon Visher vs. Tyler Toner

A little background information:

WEC is owned by the same company that owns UFC, Zuffa. This is WEC 1st PPV.

My thoughts:

I am a Faber fan. My avatar is his signature, and my sig his his two sponsors (Form Athletics and AMP energy) and his fight team (Team Alpha Male). But Jose Aldo is a bad dude. He knocked his last 6 opponents, and the fighter he beat to win the title, (Mike Brown), beat Faber twice. I am excited to go watch WEC 48. This will be my third attending a MMA event. The previous two times were also at Arco and were put on by WEC (WEC 34 and WEC 41).

raiders-2.png

It is not that there are not fans, but it is the WEC and that the main stars are fighting, but nobody else is a household name to the marginal fan. The main card has guys which were seen on Verses for free, including Scott "Patches" Jorgensen.

Now, the WEC events at ARCO have one thing going for them. There is a female cop/sheriff who walks behind the fighters on the way to the cage. She is the hottest cop I have ever seen.

I'm a big MMA fan. I'm looking forward to the show but sadly will be unable to watch it live. Aldo/Faber is a huge fight and should be a great matchup. I like Faber too, but Aldo is just such a badass I don't see Urijah being awake when the match is over.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

While most MMA fans know that the UFC/Zuffa own the WEC, the fact it is now priced like a UFC PPV is troubling. $60 for HD compared to the other UFC fights is (another) issue for Dana White who is the booker and seller of matches. I have issues with that as well, but one thing at a time.

Archived