Cincinnati Reds jerseys

matthager

I am a Reds fan and the one thing that always bothered me about them was the "REDS" typeface in the wishbone C. I didn't match the logo they used when I was little, nor does it match what they use on their jerseys now. They changed "Cincinnati" typefaces a couple of years ago, and it still doesn't match the "REDS" since the C.

I'm a "less is more" guy visually, so for my concept I just ditched the text altogether. Yes, the Chicago Bears use the wishbone C, too, but I doubt anyone is really confusing the two teams.

For the home look I went back to the past. My favorite Reds home jersey is the 1956 look. It's simple and awesome.

For the road jersey I decided to mix what the Reds do now and what they did the last time they won the World Series in 1990. I kept the current "Cincinnati" typeface but changed the numbers type. I also dropped all of the black drop shadows and decided to return white trim to the letters and numbers - like the Reds did away from home in 1990.

For the third/alternate I decided to go back to 1956 for a little inspiration. I went with a red top with the head of Mr. Redlegs replacing the wishbone C on the front. The Reds used Mr. Redlegs as a jersey logo on the road in 1956.

Finally, I should note the socks, which are red with five white stripes - much like what the Reds wore at home in 1956. The reason I did that was to honor Cincinnati's five World Series champions from 1919, 1940, 1975, 1976 and 1990.

I'm still new to Illustrator and trying to design logos and jerseys, but I like what I came up with. Maybe a little too minimalist, but that's the way I like it.

RedsRedesign.png

Oh man this is nice, dropping the black was a huge plus. I love the simple look, and that alternate is beautiful; I think the Mr. Redlegs head really pops on the red background. The one thing I'd consider is using the full bodied character as sleeve patches for the first two uniforms. Also, I think you can get away with that number font, but I think the standard MLB font would look better (like the Rays.) Nice work!

Oh man this is nice, dropping the black was a huge plus. I love the simple look, and that alternate is beautiful; I think the Mr. Redlegs head really pops on the red background. The one thing I'd consider is using the full bodied character as sleeve patches for the first two uniforms. Also, I think you can get away with that number font, but I think the standard MLB font would look better (like the Rays.) Nice work!

Two things. Shrink the sleeve logo as they are way too big, and if you're going to use that block style of number, then your

"Cincinnati" should be either block or cursive to stay with baseball tradition. Right now the current "Cincinnati" with a block

font clashes styles.

Frankly, it's a little boring for my tastes. It just looks unfinished. You're on to a good idea, but it needs something - maybe pinstripes? - to jazz up the look a little bit. Also, if you're going to use the Mr. Redlegs logo, I think you should use a white pillbox hat with red stripes to match Mr. Redlegs' hat.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I am a Reds fan and the one thing that always bothered me about them was the "REDS" typeface in the wishbone C. I didn't match the logo they used when I was little, nor does it match what they use on their jerseys now. They changed "Cincinnati" typefaces a couple of years ago, and it still doesn't match the "REDS" since the C.

I'm a "less is more" guy visually, so for my concept I just ditched the text altogether. Yes, the Chicago Bears use the wishbone C, too, but I doubt anyone is really confusing the two teams.

For the home look I went back to the past. My favorite Reds home jersey is the 1956 look. It's simple and awesome.

For the road jersey I decided to mix what the Reds do now and what they did the last time they won the World Series in 1990. I kept the current "Cincinnati" typeface but changed the numbers type. I also dropped all of the black drop shadows and decided to return white trim to the letters and numbers - like the Reds did away from home in 1990.

For the third/alternate I decided to go back to 1956 for a little inspiration. I went with a red top with the head of Mr. Redlegs replacing the wishbone C on the front. The Reds used Mr. Redlegs as a jersey logo on the road in 1956.

Finally, I should note the socks, which are red with five white stripes - much like what the Reds wore at home in 1956. The reason I did that was to honor Cincinnati's five World Series champions from 1919, 1940, 1975, 1976 and 1990.

I'm still new to Illustrator and trying to design logos and jerseys, but I like what I came up with. Maybe a little too minimalist, but that's the way I like it.

RedsRedesign.png

YES YES YES and YES

this is exactly what the Reds should look like. I HATE the black. Clean, crisp, simple but not plain. The socks set it off right. Good job!

• 2 years later...

Just came acrossed these. I do not like the sleeveless jersey on the home, but I love the clean look without the black. I prefer the standard C crest on the front and IF they really need an alternate. The alt here would make a great BP jersey since most teams experiement the most on those and it would be a HUGE upgrade to their existing BP jersey.

Archived