San Jose Sharks

ScotM

I scrapped the whole logo as a primary, (although it might end up as the secondary mark, with a bit more work) and decided to go start from scratch. Here's the new primary:

sharks%20primary1.jpg

Now that's a huge step in the right direction. I still think there are to many colors going on though, I count 7 including the white. 9ersteve brings up good embroidery production points, you might want to cut it down to 4 colors and make the outlines more bold. I think you could also incorporate some sort of shaped background, like the triangle or another shape.

Thanks. I think it's a huge improvement too. Less of a clip art feel.

To be honest, I agree with every comment (save the first couple that seemed a bit harsh). Regardless, I don't come here to be coddled, nor would I ever want to be, so I appreciate the honesty.

That said, how many colours does Rimouski use in the logo above? 5, not including black and white? How many colours does the Blackhawks logo use? I don't think all the colours need to be used, but if I cut down on the shades, then it might go back to looking flat again...

Edit, here it is with a little simpler colour scheme:

sharks%20primary.jpg

Here's the first primary jersey concept. I've cut the colours down to three, not including white and removed the yellow pupil (on Generic's suggestion, which I believe makes it look fiercer, so thanks for that):

sharks%20home1.jpg

I personally think the logo looks like sex on a stick, especially given my first concept (which I decided to use on the shoulder). C & C welcome, as always.

Like you have stated before, several teams have a plethora of colors in their scheme. If you are actively trying to be strict with the amount of colors then that is cool. But don't sell yourself short just because you think 4 or 5 colors is too much. I'm not saying use 10, but at least one more will not ruin your design.

Another thing to consider is that many teams have small doses of alternate colors that are hardly anywhere else in the scheme. One team that comes to mind is my Atlanta Braves. They are a navy and scarlet team. But on the tomahawk there is a touch of yellow. That yellow shows up nowhere else in the color scheme. But the logo works. Adding a hint of another color would probably work just fine here. I like the triangle that you added on the jersey as well. The logo looks more complete with it.

I like what you got so far. One problem is the logo may end up looking way too monochromatic. It's not a bad thing, but if you want to spice it up a little, don't be afraid to use another color. Remember, the San Jose Sharks use the exact same color scheme as you and they added the color orange. What you've got so far is good, but I think with one more color complement it will be a lot better.

Not disrespecting your design or anything, but it will be hard to rebrand the Sharks when they already have an outstanding identity.

I scrapped the whole logo as a primary, (although it might end up as the secondary mark, with a bit more work) and decided to go start from scratch. Here's the new primary:

sharks%20primary1.jpg

I was critical of the first attempt, but this one, you knocked it out of the park! It's a quality logo that I could see on a AHL team, and that's saying something. You went from flat and boring, to a logo with perspective and movement. Great job! I love this. I wish all people took criticism like you did. You didn't pout when someone (me) said it was flat and ugly. You put your head down and tried to come up with something better. Everyone needs to see what you did. I've seen too many people turn out crap after crap, and never take a step back and look at what they're doing. It's not how many concepts you can turn out, it's what you can do with a concept and do your best. You understand how to improve. Keep up the good work!

Thanks. I really appreciate that. I think I keep coming back here because the motivation to be among the best is what really pushes me to better myself. I'm hard on myself, but sometimes I need that extra push.

sharks%20primary1.jpg

Now that's a huge step in the right direction. I still think there are to many colors going on though, I count 7 including the white. 9ersteve brings up good embroidery production points, you might want to cut it down to 4 colors and make the outlines more bold. I think you could also incorporate some sort of shaped background, like the triangle or another shape.

To be honest, I agree with every comment (save the first couple that seemed a bit harsh). Regardless, I don't come here to be coddled, nor would I ever want to be, so I appreciate the honesty.

That said, how many colours does Rimouski use in the logo above? 5, not including black and white? How many colours does the Blackhawks logo use? I don't think all the colours need to be used, but if I cut down on the shades, then it might go back to looking flat again...

sharks%20primary.jpg

You're right the blackhawks logo uses a ton of colours but is uses a ton of colours not a tons of different shades of one colour.

I'm still counting three variations on the teal, two of which are so similar it's almost impossible to tell them apart, and the same applies with the grey, again to close to be worthwhile. Personally I'd ditch at least one teal and ditch the light grey you're using and replace it with white. I'd also look at making the highlights and shading a little truer to life. Right now you've shadows on the top and the bottom of the shark. Pick a direction for the light source and stick to it it'll make the piece stronger.

Great job on adding life to the shark though! This one has so much more energy than the original version, it's still got a bit to go but you've made a HUGE improvement to it so well done and keep at it.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Both the Aeros and Rimouski Océanic are bad examples of what you are trying to achieve. The Aeros are not a shark at all. It is the nose of a WWII bomber. And Océanic is a ship with a mouth. I do not think either designer/design team of those logos were trying to create a shark logo, which is what you are trying to do. And face it, like it or not cartoon logo's sell. And that is the name of the game.

all this time i though the oceanic logo was a deformed shark. i just noticed its a ship/shark hybrid. :blink:

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

sharks%20primary1.jpg

sharks%20primary.jpg

You're right the blackhawks logo uses a ton of colours but is uses a ton of colours not a tons of different shades of one colour.

I'm still counting three variations on the teal, two of which are so similar it's almost impossible to tell them apart, and the same applies with the grey, again to close to be worthwhile. Personally I'd ditch at least one teal and ditch the light grey you're using and replace it with white. I'd also look at making the highlights and shading a little truer to life. Right now you've shadows on the top and the bottom of the shark. Pick a direction for the light source and stick to it it'll make the piece stronger.

Great job on adding life to the shark though! This one has so much more energy than the original version, it's still got a bit to go but you've made a HUGE improvement to it so well done and keep at it.

9erssteve

I agree with flat because of the different shades of teal. I think you need either to use black (you used it in the eye) or a navy blue (in the eye instead of black) in some of the shaded parts (behind the eye and try it with the color on the nose and without the dark color also) to give it the depth you are looking for. It needs contrast.

Archived