2010 MLB All Star Game

JayJaxon

Arthur Rhodes isn't a closer, and relievers that aren't closers frequently get overlooked. I wouldn't take it to heart if that happens with Rhodes.

That's true but it's also pretty silly because the concept of a "closer" is pretty ridiculous itself. A hold is just as important as a save, and Arthur Rhodes is 14 for 14, a .28 ERA in 32 innings. Pretty impressive. Granted, his FIP is around 2.60, so he's been a bit lucky.

Holds are the biggest BS stat out there. If you come in with a three run lead, give up two solo home runs, record one out, then you get a hold. Rhodes may or may not be worthy of an all star selection, but damn, saying he is 14 for 14 on holds doesn't mean much.

It works both ways, if you come in with a one-run lead, the bases loaded and no outs and you manage to escape the inning only giving up a run you get a blown save despite what I think anybody would say is an admirable job of getting out of the inning.

And I think it's safe to say that in this instance, considering he's only given up a single earned run all season, he hasn't had any BS holds. In this case I don't think it's so insignificant.

Holds may be a BS stat, but no more-so than saves.

Wouldn't the previous pitcher(s) be responsible for those runs, and therefore the blown save?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope. Whoever is in the game when the lead changes gets the blown save. Now if he let up two runs, he would get the BS with no earned runs and the previous pitcher would get the Loss.

Both are dumb stats.

Arthur Rhodes isn't a closer, and relievers that aren't closers frequently get overlooked. I wouldn't take it to heart if that happens with Rhodes.

I've seen years when a random reliever gets picked, so its possible. In fact, there is some talk that Jason Berken could be the Orioles representative this year. Hopefully, he isn't and Nick Markakis gets the call. Unfortunately, I think he will get overlooked again because of his low HR and RBIs (because he's getting pitched around). It will be a shame since he's the only one on really deserves it on this pathetic team.

Saves and Blown Saves aren't perfect stats, but Holds is a brutally awful stat. And that's why the MLB doesn't officially keep it.

If I remember correctly, the Hold stat was the brainchild of a middle-relief pitcher (and/or his agent) to increase his pay, since he wouldn't be getting the same money that a closer got.

Saves and Blown Saves aren't perfect stats, but Holds is a brutally awful stat. And that's why the MLB doesn't officially keep it.

If I remember correctly, the Hold stat was the brainchild of a middle-relief pitcher (and/or his agent) to increase his pay, since he wouldn't be getting the same money that a closer got.

Cardinals color analyst and former relief pitcher Al Hrabosky is always complaining about the holds stat, referring to it as the creation of agents for arbitration leverage. I've never heard more specific than that, however.

With Jason Heyward, Chase Utley, and Placido Polanco all going on the DL (and all slated to start in the ASG) the NL team will look a little different anyway. Prado is sure to get the nod at second base now (and he deserves to start anyway) while David Wright will end up at 3rd and that last outfield spot is up for grabs. Heyward said he would like to go to the festivities anyway and I hope the other two decide to do the same because I plan on going out there.

Archived