2010 MLB All Star Game

JayJaxon

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SP: Marcum, Weaver, Hernandez, Matusz, Price, Lester, Hughes, Liriano

How can Clay Buchholz not be among the eight best starters in the A.L. thus far? Kid's 8-3 with a 2.39 ERA (in the toughest division in baseball).

He probably should, at the expense of making it practically an all ALE starting set, be in there over Felix, it's more that he's the bigger name, and for a while, I was concerned he might be the only Mariner.

SP: Marcum, Weaver, Hernandez, Matusz, Price, Lester, Hughes, Liriano

How can Clay Buchholz not be among the eight best starters in the A.L. thus far? Kid's 8-3 with a 2.39 ERA (in the toughest division in baseball).

He probably should, at the expense of making it practically an all ALE starting set, be in there over Felix, it's more that he's the bigger name, and for a while, I was concerned he might be the only Mariner.

He should be in there over Liriano as well.

IUe6Hvh.png

I had some time to kill at the Rays-Braves game during the mini-rain delay.....

allstarw.jpg

Wait? It was raining in the Trop? :shocked: Oh, how they need to get rid of that crappy whatever the heck it is! :P Oh you were in Atlanta.

• 2 weeks later...

My ballot:

AL

1B: Miguel Cabrera

2B: Robinson Cano

SS: Derek Jeter

3B: Evan Longoria

C: John Buck

OF: Josh Hamilton, Magglio Ordonez, Alex Rios

DH: Vladimir Guerrero

NL

1B: Albert Pujols

2B: Martin Prado

SS: Hanley Ramirez

3B: Scott Rolen

C: Miguel Olivo

OF: Ryan Braun, Andre Ethier, Jayson Werth

BB52Big.jpg

I'm not really sure as to a full lineup yet, but I will say this: if Ubaldo Jimenez dosent start at the hill for the NL, it'll be a crime. There is no doubt in my mind that as of this point in the season, NOBODY has dominated the NL like Jimenez. Im just hoping the fact that he's from Colorado dosent put voters off.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I'm not really sure as to a full lineup yet, but I will say this: if Ubaldo Jimenez dosent start at the hill for the NL, it'll be a crime. There is no doubt in my mind that as of this point in the season, NOBODY has dominated the NL like Jimenez. Im just hoping the fact that he's from Colorado dosent put voters off.

managers pick the pitchers. hopefully charlie manuel thinks the same way we all do.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

managers pick the pitchers. hopefully charlie manuel thinks the same way we all do.

My guess is that he does. The only thing that could stop Jimenez from starting at this point would be that he pitched the Sunday before and they don't want him throwing on short rest. Other than that, he's pretty much a lock.

BB52Big.jpg

Ah, you're right, thanks for reminding me. I had a migraine yesterday and wasn't thinking straight :P but yeah, let's cross our fingers Manuel thinks the same as we do.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Arthur Rhodes isn't a closer, and relievers that aren't closers frequently get overlooked. I wouldn't take it to heart if that happens with Rhodes.

That's true but it's also pretty silly because the concept of a "closer" is pretty ridiculous itself. A hold is just as important as a save, and Arthur Rhodes is 14 for 14, a .28 ERA in 32 innings. Pretty impressive. Granted, his FIP is around 2.60, so he's been a bit lucky.

IUe6Hvh.png

Arthur Rhodes isn't a closer, and relievers that aren't closers frequently get overlooked. I wouldn't take it to heart if that happens with Rhodes.

That's true but it's also pretty silly because the concept of a "closer" is pretty ridiculous itself. A hold is just as important as a save, and Arthur Rhodes is 14 for 14, a .28 ERA in 32 innings. Pretty impressive. Granted, his FIP is around 2.60, so he's been a bit lucky.

Holds are the biggest BS stat out there. If you come in with a three run lead, give up two solo home runs, record one out, then you get a hold. Rhodes may or may not be worthy of an all star selection, but damn, saying he is 14 for 14 on holds doesn't mean much.

Holds are the biggest BS stat out there. If you come in with a three run lead, give up two solo home runs, record one out, then you get a hold. Rhodes may or may not be worthy of an all star selection, but damn, saying he is 14 for 14 on holds doesn't mean much.

It works both ways, if you come in with a one-run lead, the bases loaded and no outs and you manage to escape the inning only giving up a run you get a blown save despite what I think anybody would say is an admirable job of getting out of the inning.

And I think it's safe to say that in this instance, considering he's only given up a single earned run all season, he hasn't had any BS holds. In this case I don't think it's so insignificant.

Holds may be a BS stat, but no more-so than saves.

IUe6Hvh.png

Saves and Blown Saves aren't perfect stats, but Holds is a brutally awful stat. And that's why the MLB doesn't officially keep it.

Now, is an strong 8th inning of relief as important or at least nearly as important as a strong 9th? Yep. No doubt about it. But let's say it that way instead of bringing a joke stat into play.

Archived