Mlb Expansion To... New Jersey?

paynomind

They say that the Yankeees are up in arms about it, and that the Expos aren't within their consideration, so I guess they are looking for expansion?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1782924

Good gravy.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

:rolleyes:

Ain't gonna happen. If there's one thing Steinbrenner and Fred Wilpon can unite on, it'll be keeping a MLB team out of NJ.

It has all the problems Connecticut had (sticking a team in other teams' fanbases in a state that is mostly a suburb feeding large market cities) plus an already horrendous traffic problem. The Jets are leaving the Meadowlands partially because the location sucks (or at least that's what they're saying...)

In response to, uh, myself, I came across an interesting (and highy unsubstantiated) idea on a Yankees board that the Mets wouldn't oppose the new team because - get this - they themselves would like to seek a stadium deal in NJ.

I guess it's more concievable than an expansion team, but wouldn't it be a blockbuster if it was the Mets that were involved.

The last thing I need are my... uh... beloved Mets to move to Jersey.

But I doubt it would happen... the arguments opposing a team moving to NJ or just an expansion team in NJ say it all. Besides, with the fan base the Mets have back home in Queens (yay Queens... cough) and Long Island (it's more or less split between Yankees and Mets fans, really depends where you go) I don't see the Mets moving outside of Queens, let alone outside NY state. We may not be the most vocal of baseball fans like those of the Bombers, but for the most part, we remain loyal to our crappy team. Flushing without Shea Stadium right by Arthur Ashe Stadium is hardly Flushing at all. And think about the poor residents of Corona. If you didn't have to drive through Corona to get to Shea, noone would come into Corona and the Lemon Ice King of Corona would be done for. We wouldn't want to disrupt all that to give Jersey a team... they don't support their team (Nets) when they're 2x defending Eastern Conference champs... they would never even notice the crappy Mets.

And let's not forget about the Subway Series. Great time had by all.

Learn a lesson from the Nets. Move OUT of New Jersey, not INTO it. :D

(Contrary to my babbling on about Queens... I really don't enjoy it as much as one would think I do. Could be worse, at least it's not Staten Island)

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

I think it is bizzarre to think that fans are only fans when the team is in their backyard. Its not like Flushing-area people will all of a sudden become Yankees fans if the Mets move their staduim to the Meadowlands. Sure, its further away, but its not like they are moving to Portland or something. And so what if they build a stadium near the Yankees. Are real Yankees fans just gonna switch teams? I doubt that.

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Its not like Flushing-area people will all of a sudden become Yankees fans if the Mets move their staduim to the Meadowlands. Sure, its further away, but its not like they are moving to Portland or something.

Well, I wouldn't say they would ALL become Yankee fans (I probably would... but that's just because of my intense hatred for NJ) but they certainly wouldn't all commute to NJ to watch the team suck. The beautiful part about the Mets in Queens is people still show up and, somewhat support the team regardless of their record. Using the Nets as an example, theyre one of the best teams in the East, yet their fans still don't support them. The organization would lose a lot more than they would gain in ticket sales, fan base, merchandising whatever... all they would have is a brand new stadium... but would probably end up moving right back to NY in some form in similar fashion to the Nets.

And besides, the Mets rely heavily on the elderly Jewish community in Flushing and Forest Hills to buy tickets, show up and read their newspapers. People like my Grandfather are the foundation of the Mets organization lol.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Well Mets will be best off if they build out by where Shea is now, but it seems like the new Stadium is going nowhere, some one shoudl try to get the ball rolling again on it.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Well Mets will be best off if they build out by where Shea is now, but it seems like the new Stadium is going nowhere, some one shoudl try to get the ball rolling again on it.

Yeah... I was wondering whatever happened to the plans for the new stadium. I want my damn retractable roof, dang-nabbit.

I dont care about the roof.

I want a stadium whose bathrooms never flood over, whose escalators work, whos seats are not breaking, whose interior dose not feel like a dungeon.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Never will happen. First off the Meadowlands wouldn't work, right now there are 3 teams looking to leave the meadowlands (Nets to Brooklyn, Jets to Manahattan, and the Devils are looking for there own arena in Newark). Traffic to the meadowlands is horrible especially on weeknights. I went to the Devils game monday, I live about 30 min. away with no traffic. I left at 5 and barely made the 7 o'clock game.

Second, NJ is Yankees terrotory. I would guess the that most of the Yankees ticket holders are from New Jersey. Yankee Stadium is fairly easy to get to from NJ, you just cross the GW bridge. The Yankees would never let this happen and they are the most powerful team.

Really? The Yankees have pull in the league? Next thing you are going to tell me is that they have history... or a lot of money to spend!

ΓΔΒ!

Archived