2011 Winter Classic Concept

J Blackhawk

First concept post! :D

Here's the latest project that I've been working on...

The 2011 Winter Classic will see the Penguins and the Capitals take the ice in Pittsburgh.

For the penguins jersey, I went with a black base, then incorporated the diagonal text seen on the '67 and '92 jerseys. The two shades of blue come from the color palette the team used between '67-'80. I wanted to incorporate some gold as well, but it just became a little too distracting on the black and blue. The logo is basically the current primary with a color change and outline stroke. I may design something entirely original for this as well.

For the Capitals, I used the '95-'07 jersey set as a template. I changed the scheme to the current color set. I then used the current shoulder logo as a primary. I stretched it wider to follow the main line, and to kind of mimic the original screaming eagle they had used earlier. The shoulder patch is the '95-'07 shoulder patch with an updated color set to match.

winteclassic2.jpg

C&C greatly appreciated!

Why do we continue to sugar coat on designs? Honestly, these are ghastly. The colour scheme is perplexing. I could maybe see these working if it was a game on Halloween, but the Winter Classic is New Years Day and the big draw is seeing reworks of original jerseys on the players. It's the reason they also have an aulmni/legends game. I'm also wondering why what looks like an embossed lettering is on the Pittsburgh Jersey? And the sideways Caps logo just looks so awkward.

Why do we continue to sugar coat on designs? Honestly, these are ghastly. The colour scheme is perplexing. I could maybe see these working if it was a game on Halloween, but the Winter Classic is New Years Day and the big draw is seeing reworks of original jerseys on the players. It's the reason they also have an aulmni/legends game. I'm also wondering why what looks like an embossed lettering is on the Pittsburgh Jersey? And the sideways Caps logo just looks so awkward.

Because someone likes something and you don't, doesn't means someone is sugar coating anything. If I thought they sucked and needed work, I would give tips on how or what to change, but I don't. I also don't see anything ghastly about these.

I actually like these designs because they're something new. They're not the same cookie-cutter designs that we've been seeing for the upcoming Winter Classic jerseys that we see day in and day out. Bravo on thinking outside the box on this one, J Blackhawk.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I'm also wondering why what looks like an embossed lettering is on the Pittsburgh Jersey? And the sideways Caps logo just looks so awkward.

Well the lettering is actually identical to the lettering that was on the Penguins debut jerseys in 1967. I just really like the style, but clearly it's not for everyone.

And I agree about the Washington logo. I was just trying something a little different, but I just don't think it's practical. I'll have to do some retooling.

Archived