baseball uniform template

JayJaxon

Hours of work have resulted in this:

Template_Mark_1.png

I would like to get some feedback on this. But I must let you guys know that I don't plan to release it for quite a while. I still have a lot to do with it and before I get the feedback I want to make some things clear on why I went the direction I did with some things.

This is my answer to Marc Okkonen's template on the Hall of Fame uniform section. Some of you know that I have been in contact with Mr. Okkonen about working on an updated baseball uniform book. Part of what we have discussed has been the template to be used. I didn't want to use his template and he didn't want me using it. So I have been working on trying to find the proper player model then convert it into a working template. I have tried many things and with this one, I really feel like I have the one I want. After talking it over with Mr. Okkonen he feels this would be the best one to use as well. So the basic pose is not going to change.

He does not have much of a face to speak of. I don't plan to do much with it. Marc Okkonen never put a face on his templates because he wanted the focus to be on the uniform. I completely agree with this and while there are facial features, there will be no real face. Now later on down the road I don't see an issue with adding one. But for now he will be faceless.

I am presenting the template with high socks because the socks are a part of the uniform. I have no interest in the pajama look so I have no plans to add those pants right now. But in the future I may do that.

I have no plans to add a back part. It is twice the work just to show a name and a number. For concepts I would just add a box to the side showing what the name and number look like on the back. This saves space and time.

What I want from you guys is your opinion on what you think works about this and what you think can be better. What would maximize the presentation of this guy? Are there some things I should add or take out? I value your opinion so let's hear it. I also want to use this thread to add updates as I do them to show the progress I am making. Thanks for looking.

I really like this template. One thing that jumps out at me though, is that his feet are way too big (and now that I mention it so are his calves).

If you fix those things, I dont really see much wrong with it.

I e-mailed you in-case you needed any help with Rockies uniform or patch information, but I didn't hear back from you. I dont know what you have, but I do know a fair amount about the Rockies.

RockiesSig.png

A few things based off of the Utley-styled one that you let me use. Since the main focus is the uniform, I'm going to assume the glove color will remain standard, as well as the skin color and the spikes. With the spikes, they look a little to "blocky" for lack of a better term, maybe a few more smooth curves would help the shape. Will you be adding the vest jersey option seeing as there are some teams using those; also BP? As for the face, I think that if you carried over the sunglasses from the Utley template, it would complete the look without having defined facial features. Finally, what about pants piping; would that be a similar box to the name and number?

I know there are a lot of questions here, but these just came from comparing the two templates. Hope this helps.

-Mike

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

You know the funny thing about this template is that it's me. (Well, the bottom part) I have big calves and big feet (not that big) But it's funny you mention that.

I may have gotten your e-mail and I usually respond pretty quickly. I'm sorry I didn't. As far as the Rockies go, they are a new team so I have everything on them. What I am really looking for is anything that can't be found on this site.

I will work on shrinking the feet and calves a little.

crkraider22, I do plan to have an option for every type of jersey. That includes BP, sleeveless, and pullover. If it was on a major league baseball field, I want it included. For the first time since I started making templates, I have gone without the pants piping on the full body version. It would be easy to add the display box next to the template though. I plan to do that. The glove color can change if I need it to. So can the skin color. Since you are familiar with my Utley template, you know that I have pre-existing colors for the skin and the bat. So will be the case with this template. The only thing that won't be optional to change will be the baseball. I will work on those spikes.

I like the template a lot, but you might want a version where the socks aren't shown, or can have alternate sock treatments. Nice work with the shading. I agree that the shoes look a little out of proportion, but not dramatically. Great work.

The pose is nice, but I think you've gone way overboard with realistic wrinkles and distortion. It's so Anime-looking that you've taken the focus off documenting the uniform and made the entire reference an illustration.

If this is to show of your illustration skills, this is fantastic.

If this is to use as a uniform reference, it needs to be simplified so the focus goes more on the uniform itself.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The pose is nice, but I think you've gone way overboard with realistic wrinkles and distortion. It's so Anime-looking that you've taken the focus off documenting the uniform and made the entire reference an illustration.

If this is to use as a uniform reference, it needs to be simplified so the focus goes more on the uniform itself.

Good points all around. Do you suggest that I lighten the shadows and wrinkles or just get rid of them all together?

Good points all around. Do you suggest that I lighten the shadows and wrinkles or just get rid of them all together?

That's a start. I think that since this is a uniform reference you can get a little leeway as far as anatomical accuracy. The simpler the better.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I think it looks to "cartoony" it kinda reminds me of those old "Rescue Hero" action figures . There seems to be too much detail and shadowing on the pants. IMHO if it is to be a vehicle to display the uniform and logo design less is more.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Your templates are sick. One thing I was curious about was, do you have this template (and the one leaning on the bat) without stirrups? Where the pants go all the way down to the cleats?

EDIT: The template is great, but 2 things I noticed: The feet and calves seem to be disproportionate to the rest of the body. They seem huge.

EDIT 2: Since the focus is about the uniform, i.e. Piping, logo, colors, I would be careful with the shading and muscle definitions. If this uniform book is about not just the logos, but how the uniform is worn, the uniforms are not that snug to show shadows and definitions.

Potentially, I would add a half turtle neck collar to the undershirt since it is generally worn under most of the uniforms: 3893.jpg

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Archived