New Football Helmet Design

AJM

TC isn't the first to make that silly point...

That thing is hideous looking. I'm sure it would prevent more head injuries, but I can't see this being worn by todays players.

That side piece looks real odd, it's just slapped on; there's no real room for any helmet decal.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure Darryl Stingley agreed with your view. :rolleyes:

sp_obit_stingley_caoak502.jpgstingley-747232.jpg

Jack Tatum was (and still is) a bitch.

Actually he died last month. I'm no Tatum fan but as I remember it that was not a dirty hit.

The dude was flat out a dirty player period. He always led with the helmet even if a guy was already down. I have no respect for a punk.

Tatum hit was about as dirty as it gets. Guy going over the middle uncatchable ball preseason game, C'mon man.

So DBs were/are pausing to determine whether the ball is catchable, and they don't hit as hard in preseason games? C'mon, man.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I remember someone making this point, and it's rung true with me since then whenever I see anything about new helmet designs/head injuries in football: All these new helmets and such like seem give players the idea that they can now lead with their heads more often because there's a perception that there's less of a chance they'll get hurt (because the helmet is extra safe, etc). Back when there were no facemasks and only leather helmets, I'm sure it was far less safe. However, tackling was different too and players knew their heads needed a little more protection, so they didn't just try to spear the guy they were after. (They wrapped him up, etc.) Now, big hits get highlights and fame and so on and the media doesn't help by eating up those highlights.

I realize that's pretty rant-y of me, but I think it's as much a culture thing as it is an equipment thing.

You couldn't be more right. Better helmets only make the problem worse in the long run, unless they are accompanied by a change in the culture.

There's an economic theory that proves your point correct. Anyways, one parallel example to your point was the seatbelt. Accidents actually went up with the seatbelt. Yes, lives were saved because of it, but people also began driving more recklessly.

Interesting. I wonder if the same was true with the advent of air bags?

I agree. the more leeway you give the players, the more dangerous the sport becomes.

Yup, it's called moral hazard. In a market system predicated upon maximizing individual gain, allowing more of a social safety net tends to tends to accompany higher use to the margin of that safety net. We've thoroughly discussed the helmet example, but the best examples are in health insurance and savings rates. When people tend to have any type of insurance, they tend to be a little bit more reckless and risky because they know they won't have to carry the full burden of the costs, thus leading to higher chances of negative externalities and utilization of services. Of course, this doesn't necessarily apply to market systems built on maximizing communal well-being, but that is almost strictly based on culture.

That being said, concussions are no less of a serious issue in rugby despite the lack of helmets.

galaxy.png

I remember someone making this point, and it's rung true with me since then whenever I see anything about new helmet designs/head injuries in football: All these new helmets and such like seem give players the idea that they can now lead with their heads more often because there's a perception that there's less of a chance they'll get hurt (because the helmet is extra safe, etc). Back when there were no facemasks and only leather helmets, I'm sure it was far less safe. However, tackling was different too and players knew their heads needed a little more protection, so they didn't just try to spear the guy they were after. (They wrapped him up, etc.) Now, big hits get highlights and fame and so on and the media doesn't help by eating up those highlights.

I realize that's pretty rant-y of me, but I think it's as much a culture thing as it is an equipment thing.

You couldn't be more right. Better helmets only make the problem worse in the long run, unless they are accompanied by a change in the culture.

There's an economic theory that proves your point correct. Anyways, one parallel example to your point was the seatbelt. Accidents actually went up with the seatbelt. Yes, lives were saved because of it, but people also began driving more recklessly.

That's probably the most senseless thing I've ever read. Not so much the "statistic", but you acting like you truly buy that there's some sort of psychological change when driving with a freaking seatbelt on.

A SEATBELT? You're serious? lol People just started doing 90 all of a sudden because a piece of cloth made them feel invincible, right? Come on now... actually think about that. Have you ever...ever driven more recklessly due to wearing a seatbelt? No. You haven't. No one else has either, unless they're just completely braindead and lack common sense. And yeah- someone else mentioned air bags. Let me guess, cars with anti-lock brakes are causing drivers to powerslide all over the place because they think they can stop so much better, eh? Again- think about what you're saying, Bill Nye.

That's like saying safeties on guns made guns more dangerous because now people just play with guns all the time thinking there's nothing to worry about. Aim them at your friends! It's cool! Safety!

Anyway- on to the helmet:

Guess what, fellas? The NFL doesn't care how "horrible" you think the helmet will look. And... it's a helmet. They've been ugly for years, decades. Just because you haven't adapted to something doesn't make it bad. I'm sure the leather helmet wearing vets thought the big plastic helmets looked pretty ridiculous, too. So they should have stuck with the leather? Of course not.

So they'll have to adjust the logo. So? Change happens... it's not the end of the word to see things evolve. Dry your eyes!

That's like saying safeties on guns made guns more dangerous because now people just play with guns all the time thinking there's nothing to worry about. Aim them at your friends! It's cool! Safety!

You just undermined your whole point here. Accidental deaths are way up, and many people believe it's because kids think it's 'safe' to play with a gun that has the safety on.

I feel very uncomfortable without a seatbelt on, and as a result, I drive with much greater caution. Just because you don't believe in the marvels of psychology doesn't mean that it's hogwash.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

These are ridiculous stats. Saying drivers drive more reckless due to a seatbelt is like saying people are more likely to jump off buildings with a leather jacket rather than a t-shirt. And then bringing up the stat that "Oh funny you say that- suicide rates are up!" doesn't prove anything.

It's stupid. And not only that- but actually buying that most people started using seatbelts because of a law is silly. So any stat that escalates is purely coincidental. Especially with the accidental death thing. If seatbelts made people feel so safe, they wouldn't have had to force people to wear them. People that didn't wear them when they thought they could die aren't going to start to avoid a 30 dollar fine or whatever it may be.

It is clearly hogwash in this instance. Not all- because I get the point trying to be made- the seatbelt was just a terrible analogy.

That's probably the most senseless thing I've ever read. Not so much the "statistic", but you acting like you truly buy that there's some sort of psychological change when driving with a freaking seatbelt on.

A SEATBELT? You're serious? lol People just started doing 90 all of a sudden because a piece of cloth made them feel invincible, right? Come on now... actually think about that. Have you ever...ever driven more recklessly due to wearing a seatbelt? No. You haven't. No one else has either, unless they're just completely braindead and lack common sense. And yeah- someone else mentioned air bags. Let me guess, cars with anti-lock brakes are causing drivers to powerslide all over the place because they think they can stop so much better, eh? Again- think about what you're saying, Bill Nye.

Anyway- on to the helmet:

Guess what, fellas? The NFL doesn't care how "horrible" you think the helmet will look. And... it's a helmet. They've been ugly for years, decades. Just because you haven't adapted to something doesn't make it bad. I'm sure the leather helmet wearing vets thought the big plastic helmets looked pretty ridiculous, too. So they should have stuck with the leather? Of course not.

So they'll have to adjust the logo. So? Change happens... it's not the end of the word to see things evolve. Dry your eyes!

I agree in general with your side of this but...while driving home to Dallas on I-20 in 2000, a sudden blizzard struck (no, really, in northeast Texas) and the road got very dangerous. Everybody was in the right lane, flashers on, going about 20. So Joe Idiot in his Jeep Cherokee comes blowing by in the left lane going at least 50 if not faster and he may as well have had a sign saying, "Stupid slowpokes. This is why I got ABS and four-wheel drive!" About 30 minutes later we saw the Jeep again...on its roof in a ditch along the highway with emergency vehicles clustered around it. <_<

And there are counterintuitive examples. For example, supposedly - and I say that because IMO those presenting these stats have an agenda - red light cameras in Georgia have led to increased accidents at some intersections. Apparently people are jamming on their brakes to stop and avoid the ticket. But if they do that and get rear-ended, the problem isn't them stopping, it's the knucklehead following them too close (who probably planned to blow the red light as well and was thus doubly surprised by the sudden stop).

I'm all for red light cameras because at least here, they only ticket drivers who enter the intersection after the light is red. Think about that...light's red and they haven't even crossed the first white line. That deserves a ticket. Ignorance may also be contributing to accidents because people unfamiliar with how it works may be hitting the brakes for yellow lights not realizing they're good if the light turns red while they're crossing the intersection.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Honestly, who cares what the helmet looks like? Helmets have been evolving in every sport for as long as I can remember. The Bike/Riddell style dominated the 80s-2000s before the current one came into vogue. I think that a part of the helmets and facemasks changing is that it helps to give each era a bit of a different feel, just like uniform changes do (Although some of those are downright horrible, the NYG uniform being a perfect example).

Archived