New Football Helmet Design

AJM

I remember someone making this point, and it's rung true with me since then whenever I see anything about new helmet designs/head injuries in football: All these new helmets and such like seem give players the idea that they can now lead with their heads more often because there's a perception that there's less of a chance they'll get hurt (because the helmet is extra safe, etc). Back when there were no facemasks and only leather helmets, I'm sure it was far less safe. However, tackling was different too and players knew their heads needed a little more protection, so they didn't just try to spear the guy they were after. (They wrapped him up, etc.) Now, big hits get highlights and fame and so on and the media doesn't help by eating up those highlights.

I realize that's pretty rant-y of me, but I think it's as much a culture thing as it is an equipment thing.

You couldn't be more right. Better helmets only make the problem worse in the long run, unless they are accompanied by a change in the culture.

There's an economic theory that proves your point correct. Anyways, one parallel example to your point was the seatbelt. Accidents actually went up with the seatbelt. Yes, lives were saved because of it, but people also began driving more recklessly.

Interesting. I wonder if the same was true with the advent of air bags?

I agree. the more leeway you give the players, the more dangerous the sport becomes.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow.....that helmet looks terrible.

if people want to make football safer they'll make the players pull little flags from each other's waists to stop a play. Seeing that just isn't going to happen we'll just have to live with the fact that football is just a violent activity where injuries simply just happen. whats next? a foam body suit?

While this helmet design may lower the risk of concussions, there's no helmet anywhere in football (youth, prep, college or pros) that'll prevent head or neck injuries. Read the warning label on your mini helmets if you don't believe me.

The helmet design in this thread will probably go the way of the Edsel and Sega 32x/CD combo.

if people want to make football safer they'll make the players pull little flags from each other's waists to stop a play. Seeing that just isn't going to happen we'll just have to live with the fact that football is just a violent activity where injuries simply just happen. whats next? a foam body suit?

While I did start this post, I agree with you 100%. I mainly just found the helmet and stories interesting.

I feel that the whole discussion involving concussions should be chalked up to "occupational hazard". Sure, some steps should be taken to prevent defensive players from making tackles with malice, or intent to injure. However, injuries are part of the game.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

While I did start this post, I agree with you 100%. I mainly just found the helmet and stories interesting.

I feel that the whole discussion involving concussions should be chalked up to "occupational hazard". Sure, some steps should be taken to prevent defensive players from making tackles with malice, or intent to injure. However, injuries are part of the game.

Injuries will always be part of sports.

After all, no pain, no gain.

I think it makes great sense from a safety standpoint. However, the seams where the plates come together run right through wear teams' helmet logos would be placed. I suppose the stickers could be placed directly over the seam, but it may wrinkle after a collision. I don't think that teams would like to cut their logo.

Yeah, that'd be crazy.

Albert%20Pujols%20wide.jpg

yeah it would look pretty horrible take some getting used to

nners.png

FYP

Injuries will always be part of sports.

After all, no pain, no gain.

I'm sure Darryl Stingley agreed with your view. :rolleyes:

sp_obit_stingley_caoak502.jpgstingley-747232.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Gee, I'd take the higher risk of concussion as long as I wouldn't have to wear that thing. This is 2010, can't they make something safe and stylish?

No offense, but if you really think that, you're a :censored:ing idiot.

I wasn't really serious, just trying to make a point. It's ugly as hell.

Either (as was mentioned) an added thin "shell" layer covering the "plates" (like how the outer cosmetic layer of a bicycle helmet covers the styrofoam), or perhaps a thin layer made from fabric or silicone that has the colors and logos printed would be fine.

Heck, make the surface of the outer "skin" have enough grip to allow for decals.

yeah it would look pretty horrible

nners.png

What I'm suggesting is that they would not fit the decal to wrap the seam like that. They would simply apply the decal over the seam. If they can do this on a Revo Speed, I think they'll be okay applying a decal over this tiny seam.

22__1275511741_2842.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

That SF helmet really doesn't look that bad. Once you get used to it, you won't even notice the seams in there. It's like the button placket of a baseball jersey, as a previous poster mentioned.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived