Having Some Trouble...Illustrator

Cola

Okay, I am trying to achieve a certain effect by using gradients...however, I just can't get it right. I am wanting my background to appear a lot similar to this one (client request):

OCMA-event-flyer-727198.jpg

However, I can't get the lower gradient of the orange to roll into the nightsky gradient of the turqoise into midnight blue...smoothly. It seems almost that my gradients should fade into blank space- but I can't even figure out how to achieve that at the moment.

Can anyone give any tips? I'd appreciate it.

You could copy/paste your background shape and make three separate gradients, then lay them over one another. The first is teal in the center fading to white at the top and bottom. The next is dark blue on the top fading to white at the bottom. The last is orange on the bottom fading to white at the top.

You can layer them, making sure to adjust them so that the orange and dark blue overlap the teal sufficiently, then set them to overprint and view them in the overprint preview (for a printed piece), or just set the transparency mode to 'multiply' (for a web image). Having separate gradients can make it easier for the prepress designer as well.

Realistically, though, a prepress designer is normally savvy enough to take your three color gradient from Illustrator and separate it so that you get a smooth print. If you need a good preview for an on-screen image, you might get results using my process above.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Appreciate it...I think that achieved what I was looking for.

On the topic...do you (or anyone) know of any sites with some inspiration for flyer/print work? I'm having some designer block right now and was wanting to come up with a few different options. It's kind of some freebie work for a friend of mine running a small town charity festival.

Thanks again.

Appreciate it...I think that achieved what I was looking for.

On the topic...do you (or anyone) know of any sites with some inspiration for flyer/print work? I'm having some designer block right now and was wanting to come up with a few different options. It's kind of some freebie work for a friend of mine running a small town charity festival.

Thanks again.

Inspiration Sites:

Behance.net

Abduzeedo

Creatica

logo.png

This is going to sound weird, but go to H&FJ (www.typography.com) and look at the specimen slideshows for each font. There are some great layout ideas, type treatments and color schemes there, especially on the newer ones.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived