Which Quebec Nordiques logo?

kiwi_canadian

What's wrong with this one?

1698.gif

No, no... Totally kidding - This should have never seen the light of day!!!

What the heck is that?

It was the QC logo for the upstart WHA2 league that never got the ground. Nordiques is TM, so they had to spell it Nordiks

canada.png

Considering the old 70's N-igloo logo is among the ugliest things ever created, I'd have to go with the Husky version hands down. Of course they should update the colour scheme and remove the wordmark to make it less dated, but over all it's vastly superior to the igloo.

Wow. Really? I think it's one of the coolest logos ever! It's so simple and minimalist.. I love everything about it. It's up there w/ the Whalers for me.

I say go with a new logo, but keep the old ones as an alternate. Everyone should just forget about that husky one...

Also, Quebec City will never again get an NHL franchise. Ever. Just my two cents.

You're from Quebec, right? I noticed you have the Moncton Wildcats logo as your avatar... why don't you think Quebec City will not ever get another NHL team? Too many cities (Portland, Seattle, Kansas City, Hamilton, Winnepeg, Hartford, Las Vegas, Milwaukee, Salt Lake City, Indianapolis, Norfolk, et al.) waiting in line?

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

I say go with a new logo, but keep the old ones as an alternate. Everyone should just forget about that husky one...

Also, Quebec City will never again get an NHL franchise. Ever. Just my two cents.

You're from Quebec, right? I noticed you have the Moncton Wildcats logo as your avatar... why don't you think Quebec City will not ever get another NHL team? Too many cities (Portland, Seattle, Kansas City, Hamilton, Winnepeg, Hartford, Las Vegas, Milwaukee, Salt Lake City, Indianapolis, Norfolk, et al.) waiting in line?

Nope, not from Quebec. Moncton is in New Brunswick, the province next door (but still part of the Quebec league), it's a whole different world over here. 1) You're right about the list of potential (better) cities for an NHL franchise. 2) There's also the fact that I don't think a second NHL team in Quebec is sustainable. 3) The NHL probably doesn't want more French in the game, and 4) by the time they get a stadium built, the Coyotes will have moved back to Winnipeg and there will be no need for another Canadian team (well, I can dream anyway...).

270.gif or 288.gif ?

If the team isn't called the Nordiques, what would be a potential name?

Well, the unused prototype screams "QMJHL" to me...

It screams "NBA" to me.

zq8qkfni1g087f4245egc32po.gif

Just riffing on your comment. I actually don't rate the Timberwolves' logo as particularly NBA-worthy. So I agree with you that the prototype Nordiques' logo is bad; it just isn't unprecedentedly bad in the annals of big-league sports.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Nope, not from Quebec. Moncton is in New Brunswick, the province next door (but still part of the Quebec league), it's a whole different world over here. 1) You're right about the list of potential (better) cities for an NHL franchise. 2) There's also the fact that I don't think a second NHL team in Quebec is sustainable. 3) The NHL probably doesn't want more French in the game, and 4) by the time they get a stadium built, the Coyotes will have moved back to Winnipeg and there will be no need for another Canadian team (well, I can dream anyway...).

Sorry, I meant to write "Quebec-area", as I do know that Moncton is probably closer to the U.S. (Maine)or Nova Scotia (coolest province/territory/state name EVER btw) than it is to Quebec City, but I figured you'd have some insight from someone who lives in the area, esp a city with a team in the QMJHL.

ps) Is there a lot of French spoken in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, P.E.I.? And how far, (in miles) do you think Q-City is from Montreal?

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

They're about 150 miles apart. A little farther apart than, say, Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

I think New Brunswick has the most francophones per capita outside of Quebec but I might be wrong. The rest of the Maritimes are more anglophone.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Sorry, I meant to write "Quebec-area", as I do know that Moncton is probably closer to the U.S. (Maine)or Nova Scotia (coolest province/territory/state name EVER btw) than it is to Quebec City, but I figured you'd have some insight from someone who lives in the area, esp a city with a team in the QMJHL.

ps) Is there a lot of French spoken in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, P.E.I.? And how far, (in miles) do you think Q-City is from Montreal?

I think The Admiral can help you here:

They're about 150 miles apart. A little farther apart than, say, Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

I think New Brunswick has the most francophones per capita outside of Quebec but I might be wrong. The rest of the Maritimes are more anglophone.

You got it. N.B. is the only officially bilingual province in Canada (whereas Quebec is the only officially francophone) - the ratio is probably 35-40% francophone vs. 60-65% anglophone. The other Maritimes provinces are mostly English, with little pockets of french communities here and there.

If I may add one more piece of "regional insight", it's that N.B. has a large enough Acadian/francophone population that the Montreal Canadiens are HUGE here. The Canadiens hockey club is part of the cultural/historial quilt here and wherever there are francophones in Canada. The Habs logo is like a religious symbol for francophones, I'm not kidding - it's way beyond a sport for some people.

The Nordiques, sadly, just don't have that. And I don't think many people will be trading their Habs gear for Nordiques stuff (no matter how cool their logo would be!). A Quebec City team might fly with people in Quebec City and the small communities around it (some of whom, by the way, are seperatists who see the Habs as a symbol of Canadian federalism), but a Quebec team will not, and will never have, the same reach or cultural impact. With two teams, francophones in and outside Quebec will have to choose - and they ain't gonna choose the Nordiques...

Hope that helps!

But lots of people did choose the Nords when they were around, which they would still be if the Aubut group had the private finances to replace the outmoded and crumbling Colisee (Canada's governments are smarter than ours and don't spend tax dollars on sports palaces; they use it to take care of the sick and the elderly or something). And if proud French-Canadians are feeling alienated by an increasingly Slavic and decreasingly magical Habs team, then a Nordiques redux could quickly make inroads by taking up the abandoned Flying Frenchmen torch and working to ingratiate themselves with their people.

Nobody's arguing that the Nords would ever fully supplant the Habs, because that's impossible, but there always were and still are enough hockey fans to field two teams on the Saint-Laurent.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived