The Packers on Broadway

Gothamite

Eric Simonson's new play Lombardi (about, you know, the football coach) comes to Broadway in October after an out-of-town tryout in Massachusetts.

Something for the uni fanatic:

3.154237.jpg

The uniforms look pretty good for 1965 - narrow pants stripes, the number font seems correct (by then they'd adopted the current one). I don't know enough about facemasks to pass judgment on that. But there's one small problem - they're wearing their stirrups like baseball players. You'd figure that a couple million could at least buy three pairs of low whites.... :P

From what I've read about socks in those days was that some teams actually wore stirrups and pulled white socks over them to mid-calf as stipulated in the NFL dress code. Some problems then were the socks sagging and some players used athletic tape to at the top of the sock to keep them from falling down because they didn't want to get fined. Placing the tape there led to some people believing that there team actually had stripes in that spot when actually there wasn't!

Eric Simonson's new play Lombardi (about, you know, the football coach) comes to Broadway in October after an out-of-town tryout in Massachusetts.

Something for the uni fanatic:

3.154237.jpg

The uniforms look pretty good for 1965 - narrow pants stripes, the number font seems correct (by then they'd adopted the current one). I don't know enough about facemasks to pass judgment on that. But there's one small problem - they're wearing their stirrups like baseball players. You'd figure that a couple million could at least buy three pairs of low whites.... :P

why do the two players have old style helmets and the one guy has a modern helmet?

Looks like a modern facemask to me, but as I said I don't know enough about such things.

From what I've read about socks in those days was that some teams actually wore stirrups and pulled white socks over them to mid-calf as stipulated in the NFL dress code. Some problems then were the socks sagging and some players used athletic tape to at the top of the sock to keep them from falling down because they didn't want to get fined. Placing the tape there led to some people believing that there team actually had stripes in that spot when actually there wasn't!

Wouldn't doubt it. Look at the tape holding up these stirrups:

3087024051_cdffbeb7ee_o.jpg

And I like how some players are showing all stripes while some are showing almost none.

'65 Packers:

3246461.jpg

Everybody in the pics I saw for '65 had the low whites, no stirrups visible.

Number 89 is Dave Robinson and his Broadway facemask looks too modern. This is one of his helmets courtesy of helmethut.com:

robin1.JPG

Had to throw this one in - fantastic color shot of two great unis. Note Cowboys were still wearing the triple blue sleeve stripe:

3414931.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

'65 Packers:

3246461.jpg

Everybody in the pics I saw for '65 had the low whites, no stirrups visible.

Number 89 is Dave Robinson and his Broadway facemask looks too modern. This is one of his helmets courtesy of helmethut.com:

robin1.JPG

Had to throw this one in - fantastic color shot of two great unis. Note Cowboys were still wearing the triple blue sleeve stripe:

3414931.jpg

No team to my knowledge ever wore them with the stirrups visible. Always low whites pulled over stirrups as far as I know.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3087024051_cdffbeb7ee_o.jpg

Great pic but I never knew the Packers wore stripes on their pants like that. And it looks as though they had the same striping as the Browns because I don't see the white outline around the yellow stripe on their sleeves.

3414931.jpg

As much as I hate the Cowgirls, it amazes me that the technology existed in those days to almost perfectly match colors for different textiles to give them such a nice looking uniform. Yet still in these days both they and my Saints are regulated to mis-matching metallics! I wouldn't mind seeing Dallas go back to this silver/blue rather than the green/blue they wear now.

That's great, thanks!

So, can anyone help identify this facemask?

LombardiBroadway_uniforms.jpg

It's just a modern version of that same half-cage Robinson wore back in the 1960s - with extra "oral protection" bars added. That might be a Riddell mask instead of a Schutt mask - you would need to see a side shot because the top bar on the Riddell masks have an extra bend compared to the Schutt mask. Easier to show instead of explain:

Riddell mask on the Jets replica:

image.png

Schutt mask on this USC replica:

image.png

The Packers used that "separated" stripe style on the pants from Lombardi's first year (1959) up through either 1962 or 1963; they also didn't have the white spaces around the stripes on the road jersey until the early 1980s - maybe late 70s. The Pack was pretty dismal in that era and wasn't on TV much where I was living.

The 1965 unis shot in HD!? My head a splode from all the awesome.

Dave Robinson face mask notwithstanding, first thing I noticed is...the jawlines on these actors are SO wrong.

Dan Laurie, bless him for how hard he's worked to get into this role, has a wider, fatter face than Lombardi did. There's flesh on Laurie's neck that just wasn't there with Lombardi.

Plus, the guy playing Jim Taylor has WAY too fat a neck. Hell, Jimmy was one of the most cut, in-shape guys on the team! He was one of very few NFL players in the 1960s that lifted weights all the time.

And how 'come their Paul Hornung doesn't have CURLY hair!?

(Yes, I know there's something wrong w/ me for noticing thise kinda details.) Nevertheless, I wish I was covering the Packers @ Jets game...I SO would've bought tickets to go see this.

Now on Facebook. And Twitter.

Archived