What is the origin of this "logo" / font?

MarkAtnip

Greetings all,

I was wondering if anyone knew the history of this style of logo. It is used by several High School teams in this area and has been used by many college level teams as well. I believe that BYU is the only D-1 school to use it currently, although there are a few I-AA schools that have held onto it, and many lower level schools.

Given the number of teams that still use it, I would have to assume that it was the "hot" style for a while. Any history would be appreciated.

I have provided a few samples.

12613284-215.gifBYU

12613285-1f9.gifPenn

12613207-be5.gifCW Post

12613356-c21.gifEKU

12613288-473.gifAlbany

BroncosSig.jpg

Greetings all,

I was wondering if anyone knew the history of this style of logo. It is used by several High School teams in this area and has been used by many college level teams as well. I believe that BYU is the only D-1 school to use it currently, although there are a few I-AA schools that have held onto it, and many lower level schools.

Given the number of teams that still use it, I would have to assume that it was the "hot" style for a while. Any history would be appreciated.

I have provided a few samples.

12613284-215.gifBYU

12613285-1f9.gifPenn

12613207-be5.gifCW Post

12613356-c21.gifEKU

12613288-473.gifAlbany

Don't forget the Green Bay Packers. Actually, I have no historical information to support this, but I wouldn't be surprised if it WAS the Packers who started that style. Their logo is wicked old.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Green Bay doesn't have the mismatched "serifs" like most of these have. In fact, since Green Bay, Georgia, Grambling, etc lacks them, I didn't include their graphics here

Well, a G inside an oval doesn't really have anyplace for a serif without it seeming forced, so I think they still fit in this category.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Archived