Beveling a Logo

epper

Hey guys.

I'm working on a logo for a client who runs a contracting company. The basic concept of the logo is down, but he's asked me to add a beveled, 3D effect. I started by looking at this Bisons logo, seeing as I used the same typeface. But I'm having a heckuva time getting the Hammer-T and the bottom serif of the C to look right.

ntc.png

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

(ps. It's not the final colour scheme...just used bright colours for initial drawing.)

Epp,

What about something like this-ish? Gradient the bottom of your "c", inver the left handle bevel on your hammer and add a tad more shading?

ntc.jpg

Definitely an improvement. I guess the 3rd shade what what it really needed, and the hammer is much better.

Thanks Jimmy!

What's really messing this up is that the lighting isn't consistent even on the second. If you figure out where the lighting is coming from, some of the issues will be solved. Of course you do have the issue of the rounded corners and using hard lighting. If you use a gradient, it doesn't look good with all the other hard edges. To use a hard edge on a rounded corner doesn't look good either. You're also going to have to take a serious look at your angles and where they are meeting up as some of them are giving you the awkwardness to the logo. Do you have to stay with this font or could you use another? If so, a different font might help you. Of course you could completely cheat and just draw this out, export it as a png and then bring it into photoshop and bevel it there. At least that will give you an idea of what it could look like.

Archived