Competition Entry

Davidson

Looks insanely professional, very well done! I watched without audio, so take that for what it's worth. However I was impressed.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

As someone who has never seen or heard of Tim Minchin, I feel like I may be able to give you a good feel of how I (or someone else in the "new audience") took the spot.

- To be honest, with the choppy cuts, the rewind/fast foward feel, and the zoom in/zoom out/pan left/pan right motion, he comes off as a bit of a spaz. For all I know, that may be part of his act, but I defintely got that vibe. And with all the crazy camera work, I only picked up on one or two of his gestures (playing a violin for sure). Maybe providing some animation as to what he is charading would help.

- Also, with the loud music playing, I didn't really get a feel for his style of comedy. Is he intelligent? Is he crude? Is he Dane Cook (I hope not)? Does he have a unique voice? Style and delivery are such key components to comedy I feel having a commercial without even hearing the comic is a bad decision IMO.

- Lastly, to piggy back the previous point, I really don't care what other people or critics have to say about a comedian. There are critics that say Lewis Black or Katt Williams are funny, but I couldn't disagree more. People rip on Daniel Tosh or Bo Burnham, but I love their comedy. Comedy is all about how well you can relate to the comedian and his topics....

So to summarize, I don't really have too much to problem about the actual production of the video, but there are few choices that I really don't agree with...

As someone who has never seen or heard of Tim Minchin, I feel like I may be able to give you a good feel of how I (or someone else in the "new audience") took the spot.

- To be honest, with the choppy cuts, the rewind/fast foward feel, and the zoom in/zoom out/pan left/pan right motion, he comes off as a bit of a spaz. For all I know, that may be part of his act, but I defintely got that vibe. And with all the crazy camera work, I only picked up on one or two of his gestures (playing a violin for sure). Maybe providing some animation as to what he is charading would help.

- Also, with the loud music playing, I didn't really get a feel for his style of comedy. Is he intelligent? Is he crude? Is he Dane Cook (I hope not)? Does he have a unique voice? Style and delivery are such key components to comedy I feel having a commercial without even hearing the comic is a bad decision IMO.

- Lastly, to piggy back the previous point, I really don't care what other people or critics have to say about a comedian. There are critics that say Lewis Black or Katt Williams are funny, but I couldn't disagree more. People rip on Daniel Tosh or Bo Burnham, but I love their comedy. Comedy is all about how well you can relate to the comedian and his topics....

So to summarize, I don't really have too much to problem about the actual production of the video, but there are few choices that I really don't agree with...

well, entrants are vert restricted with the footage you can use to make the commercial. you only get 3 extracts from different parts of his act. they are pretty small mp4s.

tim is ostensibly a musical songwriter/comedian. whilst much of what i have taken is from a monologue, i wanted to use his movement etc to compliment the the audio in a visual way that wasnt just simple cuts between tracks etc.

in this instance, i chose not to use the actual material itself as 1) this is a competition for fans who are familiar with his work and 2) i hate tv ads selling albums where they cut together a horrible medley of a few album tracks. i think you are better off making a statement about the artist and his style. using the title track from his album and cutting a bunch of his strange onstage moves together hopefully gives an indication that this is a quirky performer. or a spaz...?

again, this is a uk dvd release and minchin is pretty well known over here. were this for a us market where he is a relative unknown, you would indeed need to sample material.

id have to disagree about your critics point. its a fact that people respond better to the opinions of trusted critics (especially personal friends) than to most marketing spiel. were this not the case, you wouldnt see quotes. it is however essential that the quote source is referenced. this is why the quotes he has selected are from the telegraph and timeout and not razzle or the star on sunday etc.

here are a couple of songs if you have 15 minutes spare.

Archived