Reported Potential Wha Team Names...

Brian in Boston

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of right now, "Detroit Demons" is still in first but has dropped to 28%. I'd appreciate it if you guys can help me swing the vote by going to http://www.senticore.com and voting for something other than Demons. Preferably "Sentinels" or "Cougars" but I won't tell you what to vote for other than not voting for "Demons". I'd hate to see what crap-tastic logo the Detroit Demons would have.

Come on now YzerFan19... soliciting people to help you "swing the vote" towards either of a pair of names that you prefer is only slightly more ethical than the behavior you've accused the team's owners of engaging in.

Let people vote for the name that they like... not the one that you would like to see come out on top.

Brian in Boston

Morality police to the rescue...

Agreed on the point that it is less-than-ethical. However, it was simply a request, and I doubt anyone actually cares enough to act on it. Those that did probably wouldn't have had enough effect unless they all voted for the same name, as splitting the votes up across multiple names wouldn't be enough for one of them to catch up with the leader. I was simply trying to have two wrongs make a right, with my request here cancelling out what I think the team owners have done. After the owners of the Colorado Crush got away with it, I thought some people here might be interested in seeing that these people didn't.

I'm not trying to "rain on your parade" YzerFan. It's just that "two wrongs" almost never "make a right". Plus, by engaging in this sort of thing you lower yourself to Senticore's level... and, given that you admit you didn't think the ploy would work to begin with, you're sacrificing your morals/ethics for no reason!

Leave that sort of subterfuge to Senticore. Believe me... you've already shone a "spotlight" on what they're up to. You've succeeded and they have failed. I mean, even if their team takes to the ice with the Demons name, we're all going to know what they were up to thanks to you.

Brian in Boston

i can't wait to hear what the dallas team will be named... this league is just another train-wreck waiting to happen, but at least in 20-30 years, when everyone is looking back on how the wha-brand is cursed, i'll be able to say that i had front-row seats for the wreck, and bought a tshirt :)

this is, of course, unless the name or logo is just completely unsupportable.

personally, i think the wha would be better off if it went straight-retro... plain stripes, simple "seals" quality logos, and god awful bright colors...

i want a team called the "dallas outlaws", and i want them to wear brown and neon orange... with a logo that's as corny as the old "calgary cowboys"

Possible slip up?

"The Toronto Toros (the name of the original WHA franchise) will play at SkyDome, and the Detroit Daredevils will play at the Pontiac Silverdome. Since the NHL still owns the Nordiques moniker, Québec is hoping to call its team the Nordics."

Could teens bring back WHA?

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS (NY)

Here's a big "what if.''

What if Wayne Gretzky had joined the WHA much earlier in its existence, before that upstart 1970s league knew a merger with the NHL was inevitable? Could a teen-age sensation have been enough to jump-start a league to economic viability?

The new WHA, which announced Thursday that at least seven teams will begin a 76-game schedule Nov. 1, might find out since the league's July 15 draft will have a minimum age of 17, not 18 like the NHL. So 16-year-old Sidney Crosby, the consensus No. 1 for the 2005 NHL draft after he scored 54 goals with 81 assists in 59 games for Rimouski Oceanic of the Québec Major Junior Hockey League NHL draft, is eligible.

The franchises, which have paid a $1.5 million entry fee, will have a $10 million salary cap plus a $5 million exemption for a "marquee" player.

Last year's No. 1 pick in the NHL, Marc-André Fleury, signed an incentive-laden three-year, $3.72 million deal with the Penguins.

"It's a very important day," WHA co-founder Allan Howell said. "Ownership groups that were looking and considering, stepped up today and signed on the dotted line and wrote their checks."

Québec City, Toronto, Hamilton, Halifax, Miami, Detroit and either Vancouver or Dallas are the initial franchises. If it is in Dallas, Howell said he hopes to have Dallas resident Brett Hull ? whose father, Bobby, is the WHA commissioner ? play for the team in the event of an NHL lockout.

The Toronto Toros (the name of the original WHA franchise) will play at SkyDome, and the Detroit Daredevils will play at the Pontiac Silverdome. Since the NHL still owns the Nordiques moniker, Québec is hoping to call its team the Nordics.

Howell also said he's optimistic he will be able to announce a team in Montréal by May 31, and up to four existing teams might switch leagues to join for the inaugural season.

For 2005-06, Howell said he's hoping to add four European teams, possibly including a team in Russia. So far, though, there's been no interest from prospective local owners to have a team in New York.

"In some situations in leagues we've seen, they say, 'We want to be in this market and we'll do whatever we have to do to get it, even if we don't have an owner, we'll finance it,' " Howell said. "We're not doing that."

The league announced the Detroit team's name as the Daredevils. Senticore says it was just a "suggestion" and they're picking their own name.

Does anyone else think Senticore sounds like the kind of name that would be attached to a Lex Luther kind of figure, a good guy by day but actually an evil empire builder by night? They'd also fund testing of radioactive shampoo on baby kangaroos.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Archived