Cleveland Barons Logo Redesign

TheClevelandHockey

So, in my cyclical moments of thirsting for Cleveland sports past I decided to redesign the old AHL Barons logo. I'm not good with photoshop, so the drawing is crude but I think the overall idea is obvious. What do you think?

BaronComp.jpg

(In case it needs to be said the right picture is their old primary logo)

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

A good start, but I wouldn't use Copperplate for the name.

I tried to find a font in my severely small CS3 library. I tried making it thicker but it lost the similarity from the original logo. What would you suggest?

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

2dc79e59.jpg

Here's a quick sketch I did before class. The darker color is supposed to be red. (NHL Barons color scheme.)

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

I had meant for my sketch to a primary.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

2dc79e59.jpg

Here's a quick sketch I did before class. The darker color is supposed to be red. (NHL Barons color scheme.)

So, you're trying to have this logo have the state outline of Ohio, plus and I'm assuming - a more modernized "B", while finally having a star that obviously points to the location of Cleveland?

Not bad. I'm working on something similar in Paint right now, though it's more simpler with an outline of Arizona and a star where the city of Phoenix is. Because that kind of a logo would need to have more detail for a hockey concept, here would be my questions...

-Are you simply updating the font of the original Cleveland Barons logo (your avatar), or are you going for something brand new?

-Have you though of using the secondary logo of what Neo had suggested as the primary, but have the tip of the cane be the substitute for the star in your first draft, and simply build the state of Ohio around that alternate logo - making it your "primary?

Just some suggestions.

2dc79e59.jpg

So, you're trying to have this logo have the state outline of Ohio, plus and I'm assuming - a more modernized "B", while finally having a star that obviously points to the location of Cleveland?

Not bad. I'm working on something similar in Paint right now, though it's more simpler with an outline of Arizona and a star where the city of Phoenix is. Because that kind of a logo would need to have more detail for a hockey concept, here would be my questions...

-Are you simply updating the font of the original Cleveland Barons logo (your avatar), or are you going for something brand new?

-Have you though of using the secondary logo of what Neo had suggested as the primary, but have the tip of the cane be the substitute for the star in your first draft, and simply build the state of Ohio around that alternate logo - making it your "primary?

Just some suggestions.

The idea is on the away jerseys, the Ohio outline with the "B" in the middle and for home, the "B" with Ohio in the middle. It's an update more than a redesign for this one. Also, I like the old Barons NHL logo but I'm leaving that tricky lettering etc. alone, lol.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

2dc79e59.jpg

Just some suggestions.

The idea is on the away jerseys, the Ohio outline with the "B" in the middle and for home, the "B" with Ohio in the middle. It's an update more than a redesign for this one. Also, I like the old Barons NHL logo but I'm leaving that tricky lettering etc. alone, lol.

Interesting. Well, I imagine that the B will not be connected as it usually would from the sound of what you have planned. Regardless, it'll be interesting to see what you do with this. And I would imagine you'll stick with their initial colors of red/black/white?

CLEBaronsLogoHomecopy.png

Like I've said, pretty bad with photoshop.

I made the "B" in paint. Still having trouble figuring out how to get the effect I had on the paper.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

Yeah, you probably want to instead add the effect of the back of the B fading, since I would imagine you're trying to show speed with your logo. I would continue working on making sure the font of the B works with the rest of your logo, Times Bold and Gazelle Fritz would work, and maybe even Seattle too.

Lettering

You can copy the image and then post it onto an existing Paint file and tweek it from there. That's an awesome resource I use for lettering and numbering my jerseys.

BaronsLogo2.png

Still screwing with the lines.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

HomeCLE1.png

Update on the jersey and logo.I liked the stripes like the Ohio flag I saw on a another members concept and thought it would look good here.

Please point out any glaring inconsistencies on the numbers and stuff. Still figuring out how to use the template.

Also, which wordmark is best?

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

I am never a fan of using a state in the logo if there are more than one team in that state.

To be fair the Barons had the logo waaay before the CBJ even existed. That and Ohio is just such a nice shape.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

Consistency is the main issue here. I like the wordmark (the second and third ones), but that jersey font and the B within the state of Ohio just don't fit. You probably want to stick with a modified or typical block version when it comes to your jersey font and see what you can do to mix the speedy-B with the B of the wordmark, which would improve the concept a lot.

I am never a fan of using a state in the logo if there are more than one team in that state.

To be fair the Barons had the logo waaay before the CBJ even existed. That and Ohio is just such a nice shape.

But they merged with the North Stars and no longer exist, and when they did exist it was for 2 seasons. Not really a whole lot of legacy and history to fall back on.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

But they merged with the North Stars and no longer exist, and when they did exist it was for 2 seasons. Not really a whole lot of legacy and history to fall back on.

You are correct when talking about the NHL incarnation of the Barons. However, the Cleveland Barons were an AHL franchise from 1937–1973. It was the AHL Barons that used the "Mr. Peanut" logo...

Cleveland_barons_old_ahl_200x200.png

The NHL Barons used this logo...

6076.gif

May God bless you all and fill your hearts with faith, hope, and love!

Archived