Washington Wizards redesign

New_Member

After seeing the possible leak of next year's Wizards logo, I liked to inclusion of red, but found the recoloring of the Wizard's logo pretty ugly. I've always thought the much maligned gold alternate from a few years back actually was a pretty good design and think it would make a good template for an identity change. This set would be pretty vanilla but a whole lot DC. The main wizard logo would be jettisoned and the "DC" alternate logo (seen on the back of the shorts) would be the main logo.

wiz.jpg

I like the idea behind this...but you need some blue, and you need to clean it up a bit.

I agree you should try to add some blue in, possibly some blue stripes?

also, These remind me of the Houston Rockets, I guess it's just the colors, because they don't look too similar

2043050vl19qK6.gif

Not bad, but I agree with the others that said that adding blue trim (outlines, maybe) in some capacity could make these look a little better.

I have a feeling whatever they come up with is going to take a while to get used to. Surprisingly, it only took me a few days to "like" the primary logo recolor (if that is indeed what they are doing). But the jerseys and court are going to be a whole other story... I'm bracing for the worst.

I think having a corny name has worked (IMO) for the last 14 years because their colors were kind of cool. Now they will have a corny name with boring colors. How the hell are they going to make this work?

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

This concept is not meant to be paired with the logo "leaked" a few days back. Blue is not part of this identity. The leaked logo merely served as an inspiration. The logo on the back of the shorts would be the main logo, with no blue in it at all.

I created these uniforms to be just red and white. I tried having black as a third color (as with the DC United) but the whole set looked too Imperial German and had a sinister look that does not mesh well with the Wizards name, if you know what I mean. I also tried royal, and then navy blue, which came out OK for the roads, but didn't look as good as the red and white set. Plus none of the third color options worked with the white jerseys at all.

Besides, I favor red and white as they are the colors of the city. Blue doesn't belong (although it makes sense for the Nats and Caps as those identities evoke the city as a national capital, making America's colors appropriate as team colors).

As for confusion with the Rockets, I think this identity is distinct enough. It draws the eye horizonally, while the Rockets is very vertical.

So...

Is it too simple? Is a third color needed? Is an outline needed around the team name and number? (I like the minimalist look and think the original's drop shadow was goofy) Was it a mistake to remove the stars from the front and side that were on the original gold jerseys? (Ditto, to my previous comment)

Is it too simple? Is a third color needed? Is an outline needed around the team name and number? (I like the minimalist look and think the original's drop shadow was goofy) Was it a mistake to remove the stars from the front and side that were on the original gold jerseys? (Ditto, to my previous comment)

Yes, personally I think it's too simple. Just my opinion. I do realize that there are some existing NBA uniforms out there that only use two colors, but for some reason this particular concept isn't working for me. I am too used to seeing this franchise use blue, as that is the only color that has always been in their color scheme (at least as far as I can remember).

It works in the minimalist sense though. It doesn't look that bad, I just don't think it looks good in only red and white. I might be biased because I like their existing colors.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I think if you did use blue, then you would run into the same problem with the clippers, pistons, sixers, nets, hawks... I know the nets and hawks aren't quite the same, but there is a blue and red overkill in the league. Kind of irritating though as Washington makes the most sense for the red, blue and white colour scheme.

Even though red is by far the most overused color in the NBA, I really like these. Adding another color would actually wreck everything that's good about these IMO. Cleaning them up would be nice though.

In addition to adding some blue trim on the letters and numbers, I'd make the shorts on the away uniform blue with white trim. I'd keep the home uniform all white though. But I would change the back shoulder stripe to blue so that the white stars would have a more flag-like background.

Also, would you consider moving the "dc" secondary logo to the front of one of the legs because in its current location it looks like the shorts come with a really funky bunghole.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Archived