NBA Awards Watch

NJTank

The only one I really got an issue with is Kevin Love.

True he was a better player then last year, but even last year he was still borderline all-star, so did he really make all that much of a leap in his game? Also I don't feel like a player should ever been both in the most improved player conversation and the MVP conversation, but that's just how I interpret the award just based on past winners. I'd give it to Kris Humphries who went from being a injury prone bench player, to a being a solid 10 and 10 player towards the end of the season. He went from averaging 8.4 points a night and 8.8 boards in November to 14.2 points and 14.8 boards a night in March.

Otherwise I think its pretty much spot it.

Wasn't it a contract year for Humphries? I'm thinking that would explain his jump in production.

It was but still considering his reputation coming into the year, and how he ended it I'm not going to attribute it to his contract being up alone. If he keeps up the kind of play he had at the end of the year, he's going to be seen as one of the leagues top big men.

I'm still in the George Karl for Coach of tte Year wagon personally. I think Thibodeaux might well get it, and deserves recognition for the job he's done. But Karl has turned a collection of misfits and rejects into a decent playoff team. Thibodeaux got a couple of good free agents added onto Derrick Rose, who hit a stellar run of form.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The Coach of the Year award should be more about "who did the best job this season" instead of "who did the most with the least" as it has turned into recently. I don't really mind Karl getting the award, because the award itself is a joke, but I think Thibodeaux is a much better choice than Karl or Doug Collins (the other name I keep hearing for some dumb ass reason).

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

That's fair enough as a point of view, and as I say I have some sympathy with Thibodeaux's case as well, but surely by that criteria, the COY award would just be an extension of the Larry O'Brian Trophy? Is Erik Spoelstra the 5th best coach in the league? If your going to have a coach of the year award there should be some attempt to decide how much of a teams success came through coaching, IMO.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Tom Thibodeau has taught Derrick Rose, Carlos Boozer, and Kyler Korver how to play defense. That deserves coach of the year on its own. The guy is an animal. The number one defense in the league doesnt come accidentally, and it is 95% Thibodeau's doing (1% Joakim Noah, 1% Luol Deng, 3% Ronnie Brewer as well) he deserves it without a doubt

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Archived