Hitting Your First Home Run

GriffinM6

I'm starting my second year of softball tomorrow night, I've never got past a single, lol.

One day I really hope to hit a home run.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting my second year of softball tomorrow night, I've never got past a single, lol.

Good luck - in my experience, hitting a softball for distance is exponentially harder than hitting a baseball for distance. Granted I wasn't a power hitter in the first place, but softball really is a completely different animal. It's a ton easier to make contact, but hitting for power was almost impossible. Although, I think that's kind of the point of softball...it forces you to rely less on power and more on contact hitting and strategy.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Good luck - in my experience, hitting a softball for distance is exponentially harder than hitting a baseball for distance. Granted I wasn't a power hitter in the first place, but softball really is a completely different animal. It's a ton easier to make contact, but hitting for power was almost impossible. Although, I think that's kind of the point of softball...it forces you to rely less on power and more on contact hitting and strategy.

I have to agree with you. I've seen 1 homer ever in softball, and this guy hit it like it was a baseball.

I've been going to the cages weekly hitting the softballs in hope that my placement control becomes consistent. I assume I'll never hit a homer, but boy would that be awesome if I could.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I have to agree with you. I've seen 1 homer ever in softball, and this guy hit it like it was a baseball.

I've been going to the cages weekly hitting the softballs in hope that my placement control becomes consistent. I assume I'll never hit a homer, but boy would that be awesome if I could.

That was actually my problem, and seemed to be the general consensus about why softballs are so hard to hit. I was used to hitting a baseball. The size of the ball is different, the speed is different, and the trajectory is different. You have to swing completely differently to get good contact.

Ever see a baseball player bat against a fastpitch softball pitcher? It's a circus act. In middle school, our baseball team kept making fun of the softball team, how the field was so much smaller and how their sport was so easy. Coach said fine, we'll have their pitcher throw some to you guys... about 5 of us tried to hit around 10 pitches each. Nothing remotely close to what would have been a base hit - whiffed about 75% of the time and either popped up or fouled back the other 25%. We didn't have much to say after that.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

That was actually my problem, and seemed to be the general consensus about why softballs are so hard to hit. I was used to hitting a baseball. The size of the ball is different, the speed is different, and the trajectory is different. You have to swing completely differently to get good contact.

Ever see a baseball player bat against a fastpitch softball pitcher? It's a circus act. In middle school, our baseball team kept making fun of the softball team, how the field was so much smaller and how their sport was so easy. Coach said fine, we'll have their pitcher throw some to you guys... about 5 of us tried to hit around 10 pitches each. Nothing remotely close to what would have been a base hit - whiffed about 75% of the time and either popped up or fouled back the other 25%. We didn't have much to say after that.

lol, that's a great story.

I donno what it is about softball....it has to be the easiest to give up nice juicy pop ups to the opponents.

Gym class softball is the only time I've cleared the fence for a home run. We used those big squashy softballs that would go like hell if you hit them right. I cleared the fence AND the creek on the other side. One of the girls decided should could hop the creek to get the ball...yeah, she couldn't.

Archived