Four Major US Broadcast Networks

njmeadowlanders

I work as a director for a CBS affiliate in La Crosse Wisconsin, they have seen some logo upgrades over the past four years that I have been here.

When I started in 2007, this was their current: 2je1dp3.jpg

In early 2008 they upgraded their look to this: 2mhwfnq.jpg

And in 2010, they dropped the word Channel from "NewsChannel 8" and branded themselves as "News 8" and we currently use this logo: k2lgjt.jpg

The current one is a huge upgrade in my opinion.

Station Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WKBT

Funny, the local TV station in my area just recently did the same exact thing. Went from "News Channel 4" to just "News 4". Are other stations doing this? For what reason I don't know, it just doesn't seem necessary to me.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I work as a director for a CBS affiliate in La Crosse Wisconsin, they have seen some logo upgrades over the past four years that I have been here.

And in 2010, they dropped the word Channel from "NewsChannel 8" and branded themselves as "News 8" and we currently use this logo: k2lgjt.jpg

Being channel 8 I feel like they are missing out on a big opportunity to make a cool logo. As they have it now, the CBS eye looks slapped on as an after thought. Why don't they use a more rounded and symmetrical font for the 8 and put the eye right in one of the openings? Combining both aspects and avoiding a clunky look. Just my design opinion haha

I agree about FOX. I'm not a fan of the logo or the channel. I've always seen it as the 3 major channels and FOX. Something about it doesn't seem as successful as the rest. Maybe that the first thing I think of is Simpsons, Family Guy and American Idol, while the other channels are more sophisticated? Better shows, better design teams, and all around better experience.

That's probably because the "Big 3" have several decades on FOX. For as young of a network as FOX is, I'd say it's doing pretty well against the Big 3.

Indeed. Fox is always one of, if not the, top rated network(s). They're not as established as NBC, ABC, or CBS, but they're doing just fine.

Well according to Wikipedia, FOX doesn't want to be thought of as a network in the same vein as CBS, ABC and NBC.

What? Sure they do, and they are.

Sort of... Fox is usually included when someone is referring to "major networks" or "big four," but it's never included in when someone says "big three," which is fair IMO. Fox wasn't around until after cable had become mainstream and missed the heyday of network television.

Well according to Wikipedia, FOX doesn't want to be thought of as a network in the same vein as CBS, ABC and NBC.

What? Sure they do, and they are.

Sort of... Fox is usually included when someone is referring to "major networks" or "big four," but it's never included in when someone says "big three," which is fair IMO. Fox wasn't around until after cable had become mainstream and missed the heyday of network television.

Yes I realize that it wasn't around the "heyday" but nobody refers to the Big 3 any more. Fox is the highest-rated network in the 18-49 demographic every year since about 2004, and the highest in household ratings the last couple years. It's is fully ingrained as a major network. There's a Big 4, no Big 3.

If anything, there isn't even a "Big 4" any more.

But anybody who says Fox doesn't consider themselves a major network in the same vein as CBS, ABC, NBC is kidding themselves.

Funny, the local TV station in my area just recently did the same exact thing. Went from "News Channel 4" to just "News 4". Are other stations doing this? For what reason I don't know, it just doesn't seem necessary to me.

The reasoning for dropping "Channel" from NewsChannel 8 here was as simple as television news is a dying business. We're trying to brand ourselves as more than just a TV Channel. We have a strong website that gets a bunch of hits in our city. Strong users of Social media, and broadening the horizions of what we can do with an Android APP. I'd assume this is why others would be doing it as well.

illwauk posted a very nice concept for an updated ABC logo, and andrewharrington threw together a very nice mockup of it.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=81036

Also, is it wrong that for the longest time I thought ABC was the American equivalent of the BBC or CBC?

Also, is it wrong that for the longest time I thought ABC was the American equivalent of the BBC or CBC?

Heh... I guess not. Chalk it up to another instance where the US is oblivious to a convention that the rest of the world seems to follow. Then again, we didn't have a true state-funded network until PBS was established in 1970 and by then, the ABC name was already spoken for. Although I suppose they could've gone with "USBC."

Archived