Lewiston MAINEiacs no more

nash61

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5iGF2Rt4MlF9q9CBWV7uQOfvIG2mA?docId=7015399

QMJHL buys Mainiacs and prepares to dissolve franchise, announces Sherbrooke team

(The Canadian Press) ? 45 minutes ago

BOUCHERVILLE, Qc ? The Quebec Major Junior Hockey League will have one fewer franchise next season after the league bought out the Lewiston Maineiacs in order to dissolve the team.

League commissioner Gilles Courteau announced the move on Tuesday following a vote from the QMJHL's board of governors. Financial terms were not disclosed.

The existing Lewiston players will be claimed by the league's other 17 teams in a dispersal draft.

"I am truly sad for Maineiacs fans," said majority owner Mark Just in a statement. "For those that supported the team over the past few years, I would like to thank you. Nonetheless, mounting financial losses became too much to bear for our ownership group."

The league also announced that Sherbrooke, Que., has been awarded an expansion team to start play in the 2012-13 season.

The Maineiacs, the QMJHL's only American team, made their debut in 2003 when the Sherbrooke Castors moved to Lewiston, Maine.

They won the league championship, the Presidents' Trophy, in 2007 and advanced to the Memorial Cup, where they finished 1-3 and did not advance to the playoffs.

"I am disappointed for the fans in Lewiston," Courteau said in a statement. "The Maineiacs enjoyed some very good moments, including a President Cup championship in 2007. I know that Mark Just and his ownership group did all that they could to save the franchise, but the situation was no longer viable."

The Sherbrooke group is led by former QMJHL and NHL all-star goaltender Jocelyn Thibault. The team will play its games at the city's Palais des Sports Leopold-Drolet.

"The QMJHL is very excited to welcome Sherbrooke back into its fold," Courteau said. "With strong local ownership, I am convinced that major junior hockey will once again flourish in Sherbrooke."

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I guess that's one way to keep your word that Lewiston isn't moving to Sherbrooke.

Now leaves only 8 teams from the US in the CHL and none in the QMJHL.

The league also announced that Sherbrooke, Que., has been awarded an expansion team to start play in the 2012-13 season.

The Maineiacs, the QMJHL's only American team, made their debut in 2003 when the Sherbrooke Castors moved to Lewiston, Maine.

Someone misplaced Occam's Razor again.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Holy cow.. really?? wow that's indeed terrible to see one major junior hockey franchise dissolved in ordered to get a new expansion team to play the next season after that. has this ever happened for the WHL or OHL or QMJHL before?? I wonder....

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Holy cow.. really?? wow that's indeed terrible to see one major junior hockey franchise dissolved in ordered to get a new expansion team to play the next season after that. has this ever happened for the WHL or OHL or QMJHL before?? I wonder....

In 1994, the QMJHL's Vernon College Francais folded at the end of the season. The Halifax Mooseheads started play (as an expansion team) at the beginning of the next season (1994-95).

In 1994, the QMJHL's Vernon College Francais folded at the end of the season. The Halifax Mooseheads started play (as an expansion team) at the beginning of the next season (1994-95).

Hmm ah I see.. that would be Verdun College Francias.. wonder of VCF is connected to the Halifax franchise or different organizations completely? just curious on this as I do research on team histories and trying to connect all the dots (got all the WHL teams connected, QMJHL teams almost all connected leaving only the OHL to try to connect all current teams with defunct teams and other old teams from many years back, I need to find a OHL book (or OHA book for that matter to do more research on...)

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Archived