Team Colors

BJBerthiaume

OK, that works for the red and pewter, but where did they get the original oarnge from?

Good ol' "Florida Orange". I'm not sure how they came about the actual original creamsicle shade (paging ColorWerx!!!!), but I wouldn't doubt that since orange is one of Florida's two state colors (the other being blue--and now y'all know how the Univ. of Florida Gators got their colors), that had something to do with it. Now what's interesting is that I remember reading that originally they intended to trim it with a darker orange...ended up being red instead.

Actually that might not entirely be true with how Florida got their colors. UF got their colors of Blue and orange from the two schools that merged to create the University of Florida.

At least that's the story according to the UF website: third paragraph down.

1910 » Orange And Blue Chosen As Official Colors » UF acquires its colors from the two schools that united to form the new school. The University of Florida at Lake City had school colors of blue and white and East Florida Seminary in Gainesville had orange and black.

I also heard PSU got their colors from faded uni's turning the colors in the sun. Not sure if it's true.

Some people think that the San Jose Sharks two primary colors are Teal and Burnt Orange. While this is stated on the main website, and while the Sharks have always had burnt orange in their logo (hockey stick) they made it a full accent color with the updated logo. The Sharks eyes have also become burnt orange. However, the majority of Sharks fans have always considered Teal and Black as their two primary colors, with Teal being the primary as far as I can remember.

Some feel that the Sharks are moving to Black as their primary b/c that's what they at home games in the playoffs. I'm not sure this is true either, but I have heard the rumors. I'd prefer the Sharks to go back to a gray/ metallic silver on the uniforms. They can keep the orange on the logo. But it's not so much the orange as it piping/striping on the home and away uniforms... to me they just look like minor league baseball uniforms.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toronto Maple Leafs adopted their name and colors in 1927 after the St. Pats were purchased by Conn Smythe. He kept the green uniforms for one final season out of respect for the fans before changing to blue and white, meant to represent the sky and the snow of the Canadian landscape.

Crystal Palace F.C. (English League Championship) played their first games in 1905 with a set of uniforms donated to them by Aston Villa. They kept Villa's same claret and blue color scheme right up until the 1970s when it evolved to a more distinct red and royal blue.

Italian team Juventus chose black and white stripes apparently when the team owner traveled to England and watched a Notts County game. He thought they looked good and applied the same colors to his own club.

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

Notre Dame (from the athletics website):

"At the time of its founding in 1842, Notre Dame's original school colors were yellow and blue; yellow symbolized the light and blue the truth. However, sometime after the Dome and Statue of Mary atop the Main Building was gilded, gold and blue became the official colors of the University."

Archived