Another day, ANOTHER new indoor lacrosse league

Viper

MILA's championship is this Saturday in Crystal Lake, IL. Milwaukee vs. Columbus at 11 am, Grand Rapids vs. Chicago at 2pm, and the championship game at 7pm. Needless to say, I'm planning on making a full day of it.

For anyone in Chicagoland that wants to check it out, the arena is a short distance off the Northwest Highway (US 14) on Ridgefield Road. I'll be in some Minnesota Swarm gear, so I'll be easy to spot. :)

CCSLC signature.png

Columbus didn't even show up at the event, so Grand Rapids got a bye to the finals while Chicago finally put the undermanned Marauders out of their misery, 26-1.

The Dragonfish then dominated the final, 13-7, taking the 2011 MILA championship trophy home to Grand Rapids.

I chatted a bit with the league commissioner and he said his plans are to get the league up to 12 teams (3 divisions x 4), possibly as early as next season, but schedule-wise it would be more like three separate 4-team sub-regional leagues, with no interdivisional play until the playoffs. I'm guessing the aligmnent will look something like this:

• East: Columbus, Pittsburgh, two teams TBD in OH/PA
  • Central: Grand Rapids, 3 teams TBD in IN/MI (the commish said Detroit was a likely candidate)
  • West: Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis, 1 more team TBD (the commish hinted it would be a second team in Chicagoland; I suggested "Chicago CrosseWind" as its name)

CCSLC signature.png

• 2 weeks later...

Two more expansion teams announced on MILA's Facebook page this week: The Cleveland Demons and, in one of the most bizarre city/nickname combos I've ever seen, the Detroit Coney Dogs, referring to a hot dog. (To make things even more confusing, their logo/wordmark refers to them as the "Coney Islands". When did Coney Island get moved from New York to Detroit?)

310308_260420970660987_206258872743864_741786_2088073676_n.jpg301924_260931227276628_206258872743864_742898_2146151464_n.jpg

CCSLC signature.png

Columbus didn't even show up at the event, so Grand Rapids got a bye to the finals while Chicago finally put the undermanned Marauders out of their misery, 26-1.

The Dragonfish then dominated the final, 13-7, taking the 2011 MILA championship trophy home to Grand Rapids.

I chatted a bit with the league commissioner and he said his plans are to get the league up to 12 teams (3 divisions x 4), possibly as early as next season, but schedule-wise it would be more like three separate 4-team sub-regional leagues, with no interdivisional play until the playoffs. I'm guessing the aligmnent will look something like this:

• Central: Grand Rapids, 3 teams TBD in IN/MI (the commish said Detroit was a likely candidate)
  • West: Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis, 1 more team TBD (the commish hinted it would be a second team in Chicagoland; I suggested "Chicago CrosseWind" as its name)

12 teams seems like a bad idea considering even the NLL has problems keeping franchises in business.

I'm glad to see more lacrosse coming to the midwest. Hope one comes to the Twin Cities.

Speaking of which but at the same time thread-jacking this to my preferred type of lacrosse, the 2013 NCAA Quarterfinals are going to be held at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis (in addition to the University of Maryland)

Carry on with your 2484 indoor lacrosse leagues ^_^

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

12 teams seems like a bad idea considering even the NLL has problems keeping franchises in business.

Well, it's not as though the MILA teams are paying any more than beer money to their players, or incurring massive expenses from renting major arenas, or having to fly their players in from all over the country (unlike the NLL, MILA clubs are pretty much all local players). The Milwaukee and Chicago teams both rent a rink in an indoor soccer complex for their games, and both only have seating for about 100 or so; I'd imagine the same is true of the other clubs. And as mentioned, it's more like three separate four-team leagues.

CCSLC signature.png

• 1 month later...

MILA announced another expansion team today, the Nebraska Fighting Perkins (based in Lincoln, and named for the Nebraskan inventor of Kool-Aid).

I'll be giving them their own thread in Sports Logos, as they may have the most whacked-out team identity in all of North American sports (as you'll see when you get a load of their logo).

CCSLC signature.png

MILA announced another expansion team today, the Nebraska Fighting Perkins (based in Lincoln, and named for the Nebraskan inventor of Kool-Aid).

I'll be giving them their own thread in Sports Logos, as they may have the most whacked-out team identity in all of North American sports (as you'll see when you get a load of their logo).

"Oh Yea!"

Archived