Another day, ANOTHER new indoor lacrosse league

Viper

While the indoor lacrosse world has been focused on the impending launch of new leagues in Canada (CLaX) and the Eastern seaboard (NALL), the semi-pro Midwest Indoor Lacrosse Association, currently with just four clubs but apparently big plans for expansion in 2012, has quietly formed and launched in the nation's heartland, a region that has been largely bypassed by the other boxla leagues (with one notable exception).

Fortunately for me, one of MILA's "Original Four" clubs is based in metro Milwaukee (the others are in Grand Rapids, MI; Columbus, OH; and the far western Chicago 'burbs), so I will actually be able to check out this league for myself. Their season is only about a month long, though it may go longer in future seasons as more teams are added. Not sure how different the rules are in comparison to the NLL or Canadian ball. At this point all I can definitively say is that their team logos need some serious work.

CCSLC signature.png

Alas, their 2012 expansion list doesn't include Minnesota (it does include Detroit, St. Louis, Madison, a second Chicagoland club, and other markets as far away as Utah).

CCSLC signature.png

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get it.

How come there's suddenly a huge influx of lacrosse leagues popping up when the NLL has been contracting (not by choice I'm sure) and the MLL can't seem to keep teams in 1 market.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I don't get it.

How come there's suddenly a huge influx of lacrosse leagues popping up when the NLL has been contracting (not by choice I'm sure) and the MLL can't seem to keep teams in 1 market.

Because there are a bunch of semi-rich guys with larger than normal egos who think owning a professional sports team would be cool. They're always out there.

nav-logo.png

I don't get it.

Because there are a bunch of semi-rich guys with larger than normal egos who think owning a professional sports team would be cool. They're always out there.

Also, there's virtually zero market overlap between the leagues, so it's not as though they are competing against each other for fans.

CCSLC signature.png

Dragon Fish and Outlaws logos are def copies.

As is the Octane logo (borrowing the Oregon "O").

With the exception of Columbus, every single one of those logos is at least partially ripped off from someone else. Off the top of my head...

Milwaukee - wordmark ripped from the Bradenton Marauders (good choice, but bad idea)

Grand Rapids - I've seen that logo here a time or two; there's a "Simpsons" reference to it, but I'm not sure of the details.

Chicago - Oklahoma/Arizona Outlaws from the USFL.

St. Louis - I want to say an Australian football or rugby (NRL) club. Which one escapes me though.

Pittsburgh - University of Oregon.

Pa-the-tic.

nav-logo.png

Grand Rapids - I've seen that logo here a time or two; there's a "Simpsons" reference to it, but I'm not sure of the details.

The Grand Rapids Dragonfish logo is - save for the removal of a cigar clenched between the fish's teeth - a carbon-copy of the insignia used by "Grampa" Abe Simpson's World War II unit, the Flying Hellfish.

St. Louis - I want to say an Australian football or rugby (NRL) club. Which one escapes me though.

The lion's head is a slightly simplified version of the logo used by the defunct New Jersey Pride franchise of Major League Lacrosse.

I don't get it.

Also, there's virtually zero market overlap between the leagues, so it's not as though they are competing against each other for fans.

And I get it: The Mann Cup was just about finished when this started. I see that there's almost no overlap. I guess I just have no faith in it at all and just assume these people would pool their money for something that serves the sport better.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

The lion's head is a slightly simplified version of the logo used by the defunct New Jersey Pride franchise of Major League Lacrosse.

It seems to me to be a badly traced recreation of the Brisbane Roar logo from the A-League.

00033142-fullsize.jpg

liverpool-1.png

Some pictures from last weekend's Grand Rapids (yellow) vs. Milwaukee (white) tilt at the Brookfield (WI) Indoor Soccer Complex, from a vantage point you won't find at many NLL arenas.

(Note: The boxla goal crease is blue. The other markings around it are the indoor soccer goal crease and penalty spot.)

2011-09-10190658.jpg

2011-09-10201145.jpg

2011-09-10202029.jpg

2011-09-10203942.jpg

CCSLC signature.png

Archived