It's official: Louisiana Superdome to feature corporate name

B-Rich

I'm glad Mercedes-Benz is getting their name out there in the cash-flush economy of New Orleans.

I'm pretty sure this is more about getting national media and television broadcasters to use the name than it is the people actually in New Orleans.

As you say, you can't get people who have lived in the city for decades to suddenly start calling an old stadium by a new name. But you can get ESPN.com to mention "Mercedes-Benz Superdome" in every game review, and the Monday Night Football crew to repeat it several times in every nationally-televised game.

Gothamite, excellent retort -- you got to it before I could.

Of course, admiral's post was really just another excuse for him to get in another sarcastic anti-New Orleans zinger..... <_<

He is just jealous of the awesomeness of our (well more yors, I still consider myself an outsider) city. I am wondering how they are going to handle the signage. Any signage that is visible from far away besides painting a huge logo on the dome is going to partially ruin the iconic shape that Curtis and Davis designed. A painted logo (like the United Center) would be good but ruin the way the dome reads as this stark white contrast to the skyline. Personally I'm thinking huge ass hood ornament on the top of the dome.

I'm a Saints fan that lives on the North Shore (locals know what I mean). I've never lived in the city, but I live with the metro area (St. Tammany Parish). So can I consider it my city?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I'm glad Mercedes-Benz is getting their name out there in the cash-flush economy of New Orleans.

I'm pretty sure this is more about getting national media and television broadcasters to use the name than it is the people actually in New Orleans.

As you say, you can't get people who have lived in the city for decades to suddenly start calling an old stadium by a new name. But you can get ESPN.com to mention "Mercedes-Benz Superdome" in every game review, and the Monday Night Football crew to repeat it several times in every nationally-televised game.

Of course, admiral's post was really just another excuse for him to get in another sarcastic anti-New Orleans zinger..... <_<

He is just jealous of the awesomeness of our (well more yors, I still consider myself an outsider) city. I am wondering how they are going to handle the signage. Any signage that is visible from far away besides painting a huge logo on the dome is going to partially ruin the iconic shape that Curtis and Davis designed. A painted logo (like the United Center) would be good but ruin the way the dome reads as this stark white contrast to the skyline. Personally I'm thinking huge ass hood ornament on the top of the dome.

I'm a Saints fan that lives on the North Shore (locals know what I mean). I've never lived in the city, but I live with the metro area (St. Tammany Parish). So can I consider it my city?

Sure, man, anywhere in metro NOLA counts.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Sure, man, anywhere in metro NOLA counts.

I agree. This region's heart is NOLA (no matter what Baton Rouge thinks). I still consider myself an outsider because I'm not originally from here and my main motivation for being here is school. Also I'm thinking of moving away at least for awhile come May, so while I'm fully immersed in the city, I still consider myself a bit of an outsider and not a true New Orleanian.

Just the other day I was wondering how the Superdome had gone so long without a sponsor. Then poof it happens. But yes it'll still be called Superdome. In St. Louis, the Ed Jones Dome is often just referred to as the dome because, as one person said, it's the only dome in town!

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I just saw a picture of the Saints Field with "Mercedes-Benz Superdome" on it. I thought the NFL prohibited sponsor names on the playing field.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Archived