Funny Local HS Football Scores

vicfurth

If there's no way to score a single point in a game, the scoring system is flawed.

There's the point-after-touchdown opportunity.

I've always viewed the rogue as kind of a little league type scoring play, just so kids can't feel the humiliation of being shutout. In other words, a "participation point".

It's a Rouge, not a Rogue. But I have a feeling a lot of people here don't understand the how the point is awarded. It's not awarded for missing a field goal, it's awarded if the opposing team is forced into a touchback. In return for giving the opposition a point, they get the ball at the 35-yard line. It's not rewarding failure. It's paying for field-position.

1zqy8ok.gif

If there's no way to score a single point in a game, the scoring system is flawed.

There's the point-after-touchdown opportunity.

I've always viewed the rogue as kind of a little league type scoring play, just so kids can't feel the humiliation of being shutout. In other words, a "participation point".

It's a Rouge, not a Rogue. But I have a feeling a lot of people here don't understand the how the point is awarded. It's not awarded for missing a field goal, it's awarded if the opposing team is forced into a touchback. In return for giving the opposition a point, they get the ball at the 35-yard line. It's not rewarding failure. It's paying for field-position.

That's a perfect explanation.

bjays.jpg

859b2e1d-225e-4e60-9651-2aebe5e67109_zps4fd9e69d.jpg

Active Teams

Winnipeg Blue Bombers (1-2, T-1st, East Div.)

Toronto Blue Jays (45-49, 5th in AL East Div. 8.5 GB of wildcard spot)

In Iowa, we have 8 man football and that itself can be like outdoor Arena ball.

Some of the scores...

Adair-Casey 74, Ankeny Christian 14

Preston 94, Wyoming Midland 0

And one from the 11 man ranks...

Lisbon 90, New London 0

A bit off topic but...

Could something like the rouge be used in the NFL, combined with taking touchbacks to the 30, be used to encourage teams to keep more kickoffs in play now that they kick off from the 30. They would have to kick it higher or squib kick it so the returning team would have more time to set up blockers and thus maybe make the return play safer (the whole point of moving kickoffs to the 35).

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Not HS, but I was at a Penn State/Iowa game in 2004 that ended Iowa 6, Penn State 4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Penn_State_Nittany_Lions_football_team#Iowa

The second safety was intentional. Robbie Gould missed a bunch of field goals. He was awful in college. Now he's among the most accurate NFL kickers of all time. Go figure.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

A bit off topic but...

Could something like the rouge be used in the NFL, combined with taking touchbacks to the 30, be used to encourage teams to keep more kickoffs in play now that they kick off from the 30. They would have to kick it higher or squib kick it so the returning team would have more time to set up blockers and thus maybe make the return play safer (the whole point of moving kickoffs to the 35).

The only reason why the participation point rouge is OK in Canadian football is because they have a huge end zone. That, and the CFL is geared towards the offensive side of the ball.

Archived