2012 Indoor/Box Lacrosse Thread

Viper

With the recent proliferation of indoor lacrosse leagues and teams in North America, and considering how many top players compete in more than one league, instead of an NLL-specific thread I decided to create an omnibus thread to cover them all (à la the European football thread).

The NLL season starts this weekend with a single game (Calgary @ Toronto). They have also just completely redesigned the league Web site, a massive improvement IMHO. They've even put their fantasy game back on the site, though it's still salary-cap based instead of a draft. (And yes, I've started a private league there called the Premier Indoor Lacrosse League, though unlike the United Lacrosse League, it is not CCSLC-affiliated. Still, for anyone who would like to join the PILL, its league ID is 82d1e0273482.)

This page contains links to the roster pages for all NLL teams.

Meanwhile the upstart NALL has hit a snag in the run-up to its inaugural season, though they still say they intend to launch in a few weeks.

CCSLC signature.png

Let's Go Swarm!

Also I like the new site on NLL.com, it's pretty nice

bjays.jpg

859b2e1d-225e-4e60-9651-2aebe5e67109_zps4fd9e69d.jpg

Active Teams

Winnipeg Blue Bombers (1-2, T-1st, East Div.)

Toronto Blue Jays (45-49, 5th in AL East Div. 8.5 GB of wildcard spot)

Uh-oh... sounds like the NALL may be coming apart at the seams before they've played a single game. Seems three of the five charter clubs want to move to a fall schedule, but their commissioner is having none of it.

They looked so promising, and yet now the NALL looks to do what I had previously thought impossible: Have their inaugural season become a bigger clusterf :censored: k than the MILA's debut campaign last year (which saw their best team fail to even show up for the championship round, and their Milwaukee franchise get thrown together at the 11th hour and fail to be the least bit competitive). And they're positively making the NLL look like a paragon of stability in comparison.

CCSLC signature.png

They do fumbler.

In Canada there is the Major Series Lacrosse in Ontario and the Western Lacrosse Association in in British Columbia.

The winners of each league's play offs play for the Mann Cup, Lacrosse's oldest and most prestigious trophy.

As for the NALL, not surprised. Like I said when it was announced, the NLL has a hard enough time, the sudden explosion of new leagues will all fail eventually, my hope is we find 1 or 2 new cities with a great fan base so that the NLL can expand there.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

They do fumbler.

In Canada there is the Major Series Lacrosse in Ontario and the Western Lacrosse Association in in British Columbia.

The winners of each league's play offs play for the Mann Cup, Lacrosse's oldest and most prestigious trophy.

As for the NALL, not surprised. Like I said when it was announced, the NLL has a hard enough time, the sudden explosion of new leagues will all fail eventually, my hope is we find 1 or 2 new cities with a great fan base so that the NLL can expand there.

Do the players in the MSL and the WLA also play in the NLL?

Do the players make enough money to survive or do they also have jobs?

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Many NLL players also play the two Canadian summer leagues after the NLL season is done. Most also have "real" jobs. In fact, one of the league's best goalies, Anthony Cosmo, has chosen to sit out this season because he says travel to and from Minnesota (where the Swarm picked him in the Blazers dispersal draft) would put too much strain on his work and family life.

Meanwhile, depending on who you ask, the NALL (rhymes with "fall") situation is either clearing up, or getting murkier than ever.

CCSLC signature.png

Many NLL players also play the two Canadian summer leagues after the NLL season is done. Most also have "real" jobs. In fact, one of the league's best goalies, Anthony Cosmo, has chosen to sit out this season because he says travel to and from Minnesota (where the Swarm picked him in the Blazers dispersal draft) would put too much strain on his work and family life.

Meanwhile, depending on who you ask, the NALL (rhymes with "fall") situation is either clearing up, or getting murkier than ever.

Lucky Bold was not spelt a different way otherwise it would sound a whole lot worse.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

They do fumbler.

Further to Viper's point: Hall of famer, and one of my all time faves, Jim Veltman was actually a teacher at a "rival" school.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

The NALL's manure has officially made contact with its circular oscillator, as lawsuits start flying.

The next step in the continuing saga of the yet-to-play North American Lacrosse League has been taken with the launching of a law suit by the group planning to move ahead with a January start against the group that has announced they will move to the fall. Both groups are calling themselves NALL at this point, so it becomes difficult to distinguish between them.

CCSLC signature.png

This is a precedent setter... I've never seen a professional sports league, anywhere, that deliberately self-imploded via lawsuits prior to playing a single game. These guys obviously didn't have a solid ownership vetting process and just slapped together whoever had the money to launch a team in their city, without getting them to "buy in" to the league's overall vision. The USFL was the same way to an extent, but in their case it took a few years and tens of millions in financial losses for the implosion to occur.

nav-logo.png

When I read this on ILIndoor today I literally "loled".

So now they can't even agree on when they are starting and they are suing each other? Way to go NALL, If I was drafted by the league I wouldn't bother to show up. What a joke.

While most of North America was glued to The Tim Tebow Show in Denver, the NLL opened its 26th season in Toronto with a mild upset, as the Roughnecks spoiled the Rock's championship-banner-raising party with a 12-9 win. It wasn't even that close. The Rock broke out to a 5-0 lead and could seemingly do no wrong, before Calgary lowered the boom.

CCSLC signature.png

While most of North America was glued to The Tim Tebow Show in Denver, the NLL opened its 26th season in Toronto with a mild upset, as the Roughnecks spoiled the Rock's championship-banner-raising party with a 12-9 win. It wasn't even that close. The Rock broke out to a 5-0 lead and could seemingly do no wrong, before Calgary lowered the boom.

I had the game streamed on my computer at work (working weekends suck, p.s.). The Rock went up by 5 so I went to scan some invoices and grab something quick to bring to the office to eat, when I came back it was a whole different game. I was like "what the hell?!"

Calgary is scary good.

So the NLL games are not televised?

We are fairly lucky in Australia most sport is Televised on Free to air or Pay TV either live or delayed.

The CBS Sports Network (a cable network, not to be confused with CBS Sports programming on, well, CBS) just landed a deal to televise a few NLL games and most of the playoffs, but their telecasts don't begin until April.

In the meantime, all games can still be streamed online, free of charge, via NLL.com.

CCSLC signature.png

We are fairly lucky in Australia most sport is Televised on Free to air or Pay TV either live or delayed.

The CBS Sports Network (a cable network, not to be confused with CBS Sports programming on, well, CBS) just landed a deal to televise a few NLL games and most of the playoffs, but their telecasts don't begin until April.

In the meantime, all games can still be streamed online, free of charge, via NLL.com.

Good to hear Free is my favourite price.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

The Toronto Rock have most of their games televised on TSN 2 as well.

but yeah, NLL.com is a great option, the quality is pretty good so far this year, (all 1 game, lol)

Can't wait for the Swarm season opener tonight! and does anyone know if the NLL still has a contract with Versus/NBCSN

No, they are on CBS Sports Network

Archived