Where did all the bowl fans go?

HedleyLamarr

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone who attended a bowl game for the 1st time this year, hear are my thoughts.

1. The Liberty Bowl (57K attendance) had a perfect storm of two cities within driving distance and a New Year's Eve game. Memphis is not a vacation destination but a great place for a weekend trip. If it was South Carolina vs. Houston the attendance would be lower I bet simply because air travel is so expensive.

I went to the South Carolina/Houston Liberty Bowl back in 2006...we had 57k there. Most people drive to bowl games at all costs if possible simply for tailgating and getting around the city they are in. We did. Some fanbases are just going to travel well, no matter the distance...which ultimately affects their bowl selection some years. I was at the Capital One Bowl a few weeks ago and even though I knew Nebraska traveled well, it was pretty wild to witness it. So many of them were also driving (but Disney factors into that).

As far as Memphis goes, it's a great city (actually, just Beale St) for a bowl game...we had a great time. However, the stadium is crappy and so is the area that surrounds it.

What a coincidence; I didn't realize SC and Houston played in the Liberty Bowl a few years ago. I just picked two teams farther away to make the point.

As far as the stadium, can't really defend it. I will say it has some charm since they will never build one like that again! The most embarassing part is the minitron video board. That's the name my friend and I gave it.

And the area around it has been cleaned up since 2006. All the old fairgrounds buildings were torn down except for two small ones. The parking lots were redone and a new grass tailgating area was installed. Kind of putting lipstick on a pig, but it has made an improvement.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I'm sorry for learning words :(

Big words are cool, but it isn't hard to read a sentence and detect how pretentious one is attempting to be. You broke the limit for one post.

I find your injudicious acumen inane and supervacaneous. His intentions, at least in my initial assessment, appeared chaste and inculpable. The stigma you're attempting to grievously inscribe could do with reevaluation, lest this becomes a pissing contest.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived