theweatherman's Nike NHL

theweatherman

Hi all. I joined these forums a while back, but had no skills whatsoever. Thus, I honed my skills in Illustrator for quite some time and have returned with a bit of design skill. Now, I present to you my first true concept series: The Nike NHL. This is more of a hypothetical series of what I would like to see personally, not what I think will happen to the NHL. This is my first series, so please give me some constructive criticism, it will definitely help me develop! So without further ado, here is the series (begins next post)...

Concepts so far (1/30)

ATLANTIC DIVISION:

Ottawa Senators (updated)

Team 1/30: Ottawa Senators

With Ottawa (the team I follow), I wanted to revitalize their classic look. In my opinion, the Sens' design over the past few years has been cluttered and the team has not developed an strong solid identity like the other Canadien teams have, sans the Jets. I kept this design simple, as I wanted to create a timeless and solid look that could be used for decades.

OttawaPresentation.png

I think this is a pretty decent concept, but pay attention to which directions things are going. The sleeve numbers on the back are upside down and if the sleeve stripes on the back went in that direction, it would create a zig-zag pattern that wouldn't match up, rather than the angled striping that I think you intended.

Otherwise, I think it's a clean and effective concept, and really good for a first attempt. Adding pants, socks, and helmets also help the presentation. Black pants would look great, red pants not-so-much. Having the whole thing together can make or break a concept.

I think it's a step backwards in the logo department, and I'm still a fan of including the barber pole in the Sens' future, but that's simply my opinion.

Pay attention to the little details, and you'll have a great series here. I look forward to seeing the rest.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Three major issues:

- The number think hockey week mentioned

- The numbers on the front are unnecessary

- Add a thicker black outline to the NOB and numbers and this concept will instantly become much better.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

There you go, much better with the striping and the numbers. Watch your shades of black, too; they appear to be lighter on the hem stripes/collar front than the sleeve stripes/collar back.

I'm not sold on the overall design. Seems a bit too simplistic. But other than that, the only nitpick I have is to put a white outline around the front logo on the red jersey; that'll help set it off against the red.

I'm not a fan of the old logo over the new one. The bronze makes the colors seem drab and washed out. I'd also move the Nike logo to the left side of the chest, to avoid being in the way of the 'C' I'd also agree that it's just a tad simplistic for the Sens.

I agree with Patchey. The new logo is a lot better than the old one and would look a lot better on your jerseys.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

So based on what you're hearing here, try again and get a little more crazy. Maybe not a lot, but at least a little. If you're really sold on your striping, maybe make it a lot thicker, a la the old Colorado Rockies. Idk, I'm just throwing ideas at you.

Never get discouraged by comments and criticism, that's the best thing you can get here. It's when you post and can't get anybody to say anything that you have to worry.

Play around a bit, see what pieces of advice you like, and keep running with this.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

So based on what you're hearing here, try again and get a little more crazy. Maybe not a lot, but at least a little. If you're really sold on your striping, maybe make it a lot thicker, a la the old Colorado Rockies. Idk, I'm just throwing ideas at you.

Never get discouraged by comments and criticism, that's the best thing you can get here. It's when you post and can't get anybody to say anything that you have to worry.

Play around a bit, see what pieces of advice you like, and keep running with this.

Will do! I really appreciate the advice you and everyone else have given me. A new concept will be forthcoming.

Archived