Football shirt concept mistaken for real design, gets counterfeited

Viper

Let me be clear - I have never said that he has a legal responsibility, nor is he willingly aiding the forgers.

But we all of us should agree not to violate the IP of others, if we care about the principle.

I don't think you're getting it. And I still think you're taking it way too far. This isn't a case of me "delving" into the Nike database or posting next season's unreleased catalog. All the information was readily available on the internet through a video they posted for a very short period of time. Also, every template for the World Cup Nike teams were registered on the European trademark and patent website.

Seriously, Goth, go HERE and enter "football shirt" into the "indication of the product" box and enter "Nike International Ltd." into the "owner name". You will find all of the kit templates readily available, registered and displayed since mid November 2009, months in advance of the kit launches.

In the video, they showed the home kit, along with a few tees and track jackets (which later changed slightly). All you needed to know about the home kit was there. This is a screenshot from the video:

USA-world-cup-2010-nike-shirt-leaked.jpg

I then proceeded to photoshop the home kit. I hazarded a guess at the away kit and made both a blue and red one as I was unsure what it would be. The away kits were complete guesses based ENTIRELY on the Nike video of the home kit. As it turns out, the blue and red kits were VERY close to the real thing. If you look at my photoshops, the only differences are a slight difference in the outlining in the sashes on the red and blue kits. Also the Nike swooshes are off, as well as a lack of gold outlining on the crest.

My photoshops:

USA_jersey_2010_home.jpg

usa-world-cup-shirt.jpg

USMNT_2010_3rd_shirt.jpg

The real shirts:

2011-ussoccerstore-banner9.jpg

Incidentally, everyone presumed that because I photoshopped both a blue and a red shirt, that the red one had to be the third kit. So when it actually launched in March of last year, you can imagine my surprise.

This wasn't a case of any wrongdoing. Anything I wanted to know was readily available to me on the internet in multiple mediums of information.

Let me be clear - I have never said that he has a legal responsibility, nor is he willingly aiding the forgers.

But we all of us should agree not to violate the IP of others, if we care about the principle.

I don't believe posting, showing, someones leaked IP is stealing it and constitutes a violation. Recreating it for the purposes of selling it is, but thats not what Hontas did.

And after reading his explanation of what exactly he did, he really didn't do anything wrong at all. He just saw a public image and speculated on what wasn't public yet.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Archived