Football shirt concept mistaken for real design, gets counterfeited

Viper

At first I thought this was another case of a club supporter having a hand in his team's new look, à la Mockba. Turns out it's a bit more complicated than that:

"While I had this mock-up made, I thought I'd try the design with another club," Michael explained, "so I thought of clubs large enough that had striped shirts and were made by Nike, namely Inter Milan and Atletico Madrid.?

The day after posting his proposed designs for both clubs, Michael noticed that the Atletico mock-up had already amassed thousands of views. A site moderator explained why: Spanish media believed it to be the actual design of Atletico's next shirt.

"I laughed,? said Michael of his reaction. ?It was insane to see that something I made in a handful of minutes was being circulated as the real deal."

CCSLC signature.png

A very similar thing happened to me, except the design was real. I was the one who leaked the USA World Cup kits and they started popping up all over eBay. Just like this guy, I leaked them through a Photoshop template. It was very strange to see happen.

A very similar thing happened to me, except the design was real. I was the one who leaked the USA World Cup kits and they started popping up all over eBay. Just like this guy, I leaked them through a Photoshop template. It was very strange to see happen.

That would be why leaking designs isn't exactly good policy...

That would be why leaking designs isn't exactly good policy...

Except I'm not one of those guy's working for US soccer or Nike at risk of losing a job over it. I held no personal liability. I'm just a fan amongst all the rest curious to see the new kits. While the eBay sales were a result of my leak, its not my responsibility to police the counterfeit market.

Except I'm not one of those guy's working for US soccer or Nike at risk of losing a job over it. I held no personal liability. I'm just a fan amongst all the rest curious to see the new kits. While the eBay sales were a result of my leak, its not my responsibility to police the counterfeit market.

You had no professional liability. Perhaps no legal liability.

Personal responsibility? That's where we differ. It might not be your responsibility "to police the counterfeit market", but it is incumbent upon all of us not to feed it.

You had no professional liability. Perhaps no legal liability.

Personal responsibility? That's where we differ. It might not be your responsibility "to police the counterfeit market", but it is incumbent upon all of us not to feed it.

I think you're taking it too far. At no point did I leak my own Photoshops with the intent that I'd be feeding the counterfeit market. Whether I leaked the shirts prematurely or not, they were going to be released "officially" by Nike at which point counterfeit production would begin. That's just the nature of the internet. Would you say the same to a recruit at an NCAA school who leaks upcoming jerseys?

Yes, I would.

People with access to official designs prior to release have an obligation to keep them private.

I didn't mean to imply that you intended to aid the counterfeiting market, but there can be no doubt that you did. A premature leak can allow counterfeiters to get the jump on production, which can make a huge difference. Their market is even larger if they can get product out before the authentic merchandise is released to stores and their bootleg shirts are the only ones available.

A premature leak can allow counterfeiters to get the jump on production, which can make a huge difference. Their market is even larger if they can get product out before the authentic merchandise is released to stores and their bootleg shirts are the only ones available.

So what?

Incumbent implies that I have an obligation to do something. Obliged to whom?

p4Ut2be.png

"So what"?!

Well, you either value intellectual property rights or not. If you don't, there's nothing I can say that will convince you.

the only obligation you have to not share a design is if you sign an NDA and to a lesser degree is if something is clearly marked as confidential...other than that it's up to the content owner to keep their ip secure.

Those of us who respect intellectual property have a moral obligation not to willfully violate it or aid those who would.

I used to think that respecting IP was a no-brainer in a community such as this, but I've long since realized that is not the case.

And again, if you don't respect that property, there's nothing that I can say which will change your mind.

^confused as to what's going on there - the flag/jersey are of Equatorial Guinea? What's with the "edited Senegal" shirts?

The lower shirt has a tree watermark identical to the one used on the Senegal shirts. Someone who manufactured them assumed that Equatorial Guinea would get Puma kits according the their newest template. The simplest explanation would be that it was based on a mockup.

Does anyone know where I can buy one of these? Atletico are my spanish team and those jerseys are nothing short of awesome.

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

I kind of agree with Hontas to an extent. It's not as though he works for USA soccer or Nike. In my opinion, one of the best things about these boards, and the Internet in general, the the public finding out about company secrets early on. Yea, the counterfeit market is a terrible side-effect of that, but it really shouldn't be a deterant from the passing of information we enjoy on the Internet. Don't let criminals effect how we share information.

I'm not a "So what" guy when it comes to IP, but the crime is being commuted by the counterfitters, not Hontas.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Archived