Ivy League Aussie rules

Discrim

Twice, I've released a set for Philadelphia's City Six. One of those six is the University of Pennsylvania, better known simply as Penn. That got me wanting to switch focuses slightly...so yes, I've wanted to release an Ivy League set for a while now. As you may notice, each set includes one of the Ivies' quirks, the respective school's coat of arms. We start wondering what Brown University can do for you.

ivyaflbrown.png

I'd considered a home jumper that would've been simply solid brown, just back numbers. Settled for a low-contrast bearclaw with a purpose. The COA was the clash's basis, and all eight have a nonconference jumper that includes some shade of green somewhere, to represent ivy.

Next, the school whose football program was Vandy before Vandy...Columbia

ivyaflcolumbia.png

The home and clash designs were originally gonna be the other way around...anyways, the Sydney Swans inspired the home jumper (substituting the Empire State Building for the Opera House), and the Fitzroy/Brisbane Lions are what the clash is based on. Since Columbia's in New York, I figured it was only right if I included pinstripes on at least the third, which has the least green of the "ivy" jumpers. Only the faux laces on the front, which I basically included for kicks.

Numero tres, one of the first institutions founded so that any student could receive instruction in any study...Cornell

ivyaflcornell.png

Yeh, I'd strongly considered just solid red here. And you see the school crest there? Though it's tough to see, that quotation on the crest graces the clash jumper...hey, I thought it was interestingly worded.

Fourth, the alma mater of the signalcaller who had the misfortune of replacing Dan Marino...

ivyafldartmouth.png

What do you do when you already have a green team? In Dartmouth's case, add more green. The home jumper is based on the rugby team's shirt, which I saw on TV last summer (that one Rugby sevens tournament), which was pretty damn striking...just all green with a big ass D. Anyway, the clash is based on their longtime football helmets. One of my favorite old St. Kilda jumpers was the basis for the third.

the rest after the jump.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Arguably America's most prestigious university...it needs no introduction. Now pahk the damn cah.

ivyaflharvard.png

Yeah, I thought Harvard's official crimson would've been darker. Maybe I shoulda used Bama's crimson. Anyways, the home is basically one of the directions I'd expect Harvard to go. The clash is khaki. Yes, khaki. Lastly, the ivy set is crimson with a green sash outline.

The little school that started this idea, Penn

ivyaflpenn.png

Hey, when it works, it works. For those of you who remember it, Finally...the ivy vee has returned to the Creamer Boards!

The visitors in what is considered the first college football game, the origin of Michigan's winged helmets, hell, a basketball offense bears its name.

ivyaflprinceton.png

If you've ever seen Princeton's football jerseys, then you can guess what the home is based on. The clash and ivy are based on the school COA, the former more straightly than the latter. I was thinking about

Lastly, eternal rivals. The Hatfields had the McCoys. The Packers have the Bears. Arsenal has Spurs. Juventus has all of Northern Italy. Brazil has Argentina. The Dodgers have the Giants. Cambridge has Oxford. Federer has Nadal. And Harvard has Yale.

ivyaflyale.png

Most people dislike Yale's current logo, it seems. Oh well, I aint most people. In any event, there ya go.

Speak now or fall asleep...I think that was it.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Love when you roll out sets like this.

Most of these are pretty damn good, as expected. My favorite two jumpers is probably Dartmouth & Yale's nonconference jumpers. Perfect use of multiple shades of green & then the coat of arms just translates really well to these type of uniforms. Didn't like the use of green on Princeton's nonconference (IMO, orange & green are great together. Orange, green, & black? Not so much.), but that's a minor quibble.

The coat of arms deal went for everything. You don't normally see a school's coat of arms used, but this was pretty much a perfect use of it. All in all, the series is great, as usual.

Really cool series. I gotta say, I like Dartmouth the best. I think the bear logo on Cornell and the lion logo on Columbia look kind of out of place. And I can't say I'm a fan of the writing on Cornell's away guernsey, but maybe that's just me. But overall, I really like this series. It's always nice to see Aussie rules concepts.

tacobell.jpg

Yes, I root for teams all over the place. And I apparently favor birds.

I know you mentioned it, but you really should change Harvard to crimson. Cornell's red is fine, as long as it is red it works for Cornell. But Harvard doesn't look like Harvard if it's not crimson. Also, the quotation works well for Cornell. It's not abstruse at all, everyone in Ithaca knows the "I would found an institution..." line.

Tf9TG.jpg

Archived