Quick Question Regarding Team Names

RoughRiders9

So my friend and I were talking about and coming up with a few team concepts (mostly for baseball) using our friends names as team names. But we've run into a little argument (not heated, just more of a formal disagreement) on which first/last name should be home/away.

I think our first name should be the team name, while our last name should be the location (city/state) name. Like for example (John Smith is the name), Smith would be the city, John would be the team nickname.

My reason: John is from the Smith's, while John is a given name.

My friend has the opposite idea: John is the location name, while Smith is the nickname.

His reason: pretty straightforward, John is the first name=city, Smith is the second name=nickname.

What do you guys think?

IowaOaks.png

I am in agreement with your friend, and I am only basing my decision to do so on the fact of merchandising and marketing the team. The "Johns" really doesn't give me any other creative ideas on the name except, sadly, someone who pays for a prostitute. Sorry. The "Smiths" however has possibilities like a shortening of "blacksmith" and giving several logo options with hammers and anvils and fire, etc. That is just my honest, unbiased opinion. Take it as you may.

UniJ

I am in agreement with your friend, and I am only basing my decision to do so on the fact of merchandising and marketing the team. The "Johns" really doesn't give me any other creative ideas on the name except, sadly, someone who pays for a prostitute. Sorry. The "Smiths" however has possibilities like a shortening of "blacksmith" and giving several logo options with hammers and anvils and fire, etc. That is just my honest, unbiased opinion. Take it as you may.

UniJ

It's hardly fair to base your decision off one example. What if instead of John Smith he'd used something like Hunter Houston, Ray Montgomery, or Raven Baltimore?

This is a rather silly question.

Unless your name actually is John and you plan to make your mascot a man waiting to pay for a prostitute.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Take it on a case by case basis. Don't limit yourself to all one or another. Some work better as last name first, others work better as first name first

UniJ

It's hardly fair to base your decision off one example. What if instead of John Smith he'd used something like Hunter Houston, Ray Montgomery, or Raven Baltimore?

Ohhh, I must've misunderstood the question. I thought that John Smith WAS the example, sorry. Then yes, it's up in the air for me too.

Archived