League of the World

TimEOBrien

That doesn't look right having a giant swoosh in the middle

^This.

Also, I tend to find you force elements of a logo or flag into your concepts when often it isn't needed. In this case the chevrons. IMO the green and yellow on the collar/cuffs is enough to tie in the design with the logo.

Aside from this negativity - I really like the Club America concept and I think the 3rd kit is great.

Yeah Adidas has rights to the MLS till 2018, so I don't know how they would feel about Nike being a sponsor? But I love that my Timbers are 3x champs. And I do like the chevrons, they start to feel a bit forced in the goalie kits but I like this so far though...

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Adidas has rights to the MLS till 2018, so I don't know how they would feel about Nike being a sponsor? But I love that my Timbers are 3x champs. And I do like the chevrons, they start to feel a bit forced in the goalie kits but I like this so far though...

Let's pretend like Adidas backed out of the MLS deal in 2014 and now there is not league wide manufacturer and no league wide uni font.

TEAM: Man U

SPONSOR: Umbro

RELEVANT HISTORY: Man U spent most of the 2013 season in the top half of the Premier League but could never overcome Arsenal and Man City.

But for Man City, the 2013 campaign was both good and bad. Finishing at the top of the standings for a second season was somewhat marred by the ever volatile Mario Balotelli. Trouble on and off the pitch has left Man City no choice but to cut ties with the deft but daft forward. Rather than sign a larger contract with Juventus in his home country, Balotelli took a smaller contract with Man U, seemingly out of spite.

This signing led to Wayne Rooney leaving the club.

However, since joining the club, Balotelli has started to get his act together off the pitch and has been continuing his domination on the pitch. Man U has been the Premier League Champion in back to back seasons, 2014 and 2015.

UNIFORMS:

ManU_Display_1.jpg

TEAM: Arsenal

SPONSOR: The BBC

RELEVANT HISTORY: Over the past few season, Arsenal has been able to keep their most important vets while simultaneously restocking their club with some new, youthful talent. Robin van Persie may be getting up in age, but his playmaking abilities have aged like a fine wine, helping younger players gain confidence and experience.

Arsenal finished second in the Premier League in 2013 and 2014 and third in 2015, but their consistent play and youth movement have them eying their next Premiership title sooner rather than later.

UNIFORMS:

Arsenal_Display_1.jpg

América - fine, no problems with this set, just the away GK doesn't look like much of a GK kit with the hoop.

Timbers - I think the chevron idea is fine, I'm just not overly keen on how i'ts implemented here. Their inclusion is also a little baffling, even with that brief explanation about the three consecutive cups. I also think the huge Nike logo looks silly like this, if you used it in the more conventional way with their existing Alaska Airlines sponsor it'd be acceptable.

Inter - All fine except keeper kits don't look like keeper kits, moreso the home one. Keeper kits don't tend to contain elements like sashes or hoops.

OL - Pretty much perfect, the lime green would have made a better choice for third shirt with the red moved up to home gk kit.

Man Utd - Sponsor like this is terrible as discussed on the Timbers kit. Basic red-white-black is great for the home. White is fine for the away but all white doesn't look very United, breaking it up with black shorts would be better. Third shirt is meaningless given the other too and United in hoops looks wrong. Colour combinations for the gk kits look weird as well even though I'm pretty sure you've taken the colours from their most recent kits, maybe it's the folded collars throwing me off, also something gk kits rarely have. Or it could also be something to do with the home gk shirt looking like an old Arsenal away shirt ...

keown-van-nistelrooy.jpg

Arsenal - Terrible choice for a sponsor, the BBC is a publicly funded company and for them to be using that money to sponsor a football team would lead to national out cry, especially when they don't have a licence to show any live games. The kits however are all very solid, I personally dislike seeing Arsenal in white, due to it being their main rival's primary colour but they have had a couple of white shirts IRL very recently.

If I was to tinker with the concept as a whole I would have replace PSV with probably Benfica, that's all though without deviating too far from the original idea. Benfica is just more well recognised and has had a lot more success in their league and European football than PSV.

América - fine, no problems with this set, just the away GK doesn't look like much of a GK kit with the hoop.

Man Utd - Sponsor like this is terrible as discussed on the Timbers kit. Basic red-white-black is great for the home. White is fine for the away but all white doesn't look very United, breaking it up with black shorts would be better. Third shirt is meaningless given the other too and United in hoops looks wrong. Colour combinations for the gk kits look weird as well even though I'm pretty sure you've taken the colours from their most recent kits, maybe it's the folded collars throwing me off, also something gk kits rarely have. Or it could also be something to do with the home gk shirt looking like an old Arsenal away shirt ...

Arsenal - Terrible choice for a sponsor, the BBC is a publicly funded company and for them to be using that money to sponsor a football team would lead to national out cry, especially when they don't have a licence to show any live games. The kits however are all very solid, I personally dislike seeing Arsenal in white, due to it being their main rival's primary colour but they have had a couple of white shirts IRL very recently.

If I was to tinker with the concept as a whole I would have replace PSV with probably Benfica, that's all though without deviating too far from the original idea. Benfica is just more well recognised and has had a lot more success in their league and European football than PSV.

América's 2nd Keeper is based on this image.

Man U may seem a bit bizarre and perhaps some are bad choices, but I went with through their history for inspiration.

Primary - manchester_united_1972-1974.gif

Change 1 - manchester_united_1957-fa-cup-final.gif+manchester_united_1922-1926.gif

Change 2 - manchester_united_1936-1937-change.gif

Keeper 1 - manchester_united_1971-1972-change-o.gif

Keeper 2 - manchester_united_1968-european-cup-final.gif+manchester_united_1948-1949-change.gif

Arsenal, the white is because I always loved this kit.

And I may not've gotten all the teams right (I don't follow much club soccer. I also call the sport soccer, so...) but I L.O.V.E. my PSV concept, so their staying this time around, haha.

(and if people haven't gotten it yet, this was an exercise in doing uniforms and teams I love all over the world... with a twist.)

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

América's 2nd Keeper is based on this image.

Man U may seem a bit bizarre and perhaps some are bad choices, but I went with through their history for inspiration.

Primary - manchester_united_1972-1974.gif

Change 1 - manchester_united_1957-fa-cup-final.gif+manchester_united_1922-1926.gif

Change 2 - manchester_united_1936-1937-change.gif

Keeper 1 - manchester_united_1971-1972-change-o.gif

Keeper 2 - manchester_united_1968-european-cup-final.gif+manchester_united_1948-1949-change.gif

Arsenal, the white is because I always loved this kit.

And I may not've gotten all the teams right (I don't follow much club soccer. I also call the sport soccer, so...) but I L.O.V.E. my PSV concept, so their staying this time around, haha.

(and if people haven't gotten it yet, this was an exercise in doing uniforms and teams I love all over the world... with a twist.)

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

I can appreciate using old kits as a reference point, but using kits from the 20s 30s that have no real historic meaning to the club isn't really the way to go. The best way is to look up things like important league championships or European trophies, founding kits are also another good one, but could cause trouble as well. The green/yellow halved kit would have been a more meaningful third kit to United than a hooped kit that was worn for one season in the 30s when they were languishing in the third tier of football.

Try not to do this for Liverpool or Dortmund though, both of their original colours are the same as their modern rivals (blue) so wouldn't be a good choice.

As for inspiration behind keeper kits, the América one is a good choice after all. But I think for the United (and other teams) try looking at some of their previous gk shirts instead of outfield, a purple or green shirt would have been best since they were worn while one of the greatest goalkeepers ever played for them, Peter Schmeichel.

3531645257_153b2fd071_o.jpg

1251624_display_image.jpg

Edwin van der Sar also wore a purple gk kit following in his gloves.

I'm just glad to see someone doing some soccer concepts here so I'm spending a lot more time critiquing you on the finer details, please don't take them as being too harsh.

I'm just glad to see someone doing some soccer concepts here so I'm spending a lot more time critiquing you on the finer details, please don't take them as being too harsh.

No, I love this back and forth. It's comments that have one inconsequential or highly subjective sentence in them that suck.

I was doing this so I could justify going all over the world of futbol while learning about some teams (Dortmund, PSV, PSG...) and come up with concepts for teams that I like (Portland, AC Milan, Arsenal...).

This is why I included three US teams. I wanted to do some MLS concepts, but I could give a :censored: about the Houston Dynamo. I like having a theme or reason for my concepts: A whole league, all bad teams, a real life tournament, etc. That way, I focus my energy and create an artificial goal to accomplish. I was a journalism major, I like working under deadlines.

So, if I were to give Del Mondo's official explantion for a larger MLS presence than La Liga or Bundesliga, I would say that the committee wanted to increase American interest and they wanted (because of the 20 team format) 5 of the teams to be from the US and Mexico. They were going to select Deportivo Guadalajara, but Portland's storyline, popularity and third title convinced them to go with the Timbers.

Dortmund - Except for the sponsor again being a manufacturer label in the center of the shirt I have absolutely no qualms with any of these kits, all fit in well with BVB's history, I especially like how the hoop on the home encompasses the number.

One more problem with Adidas being the principle sponsor as opposed to the manufacturer of the shirt is that they actually own a stake in Bayern Munich (a private company owning more than half of a club is prohibited by the DFB) so a clash of interests would result there as opposed to just making their kits which is perfectly fine.

One more problem with Adidas being the principle sponsor as opposed to the manufacturer of the shirt is that they actually own a stake in Bayern Munich (a private company owning more than half of a club is prohibited by the DFB) so a clash of interests would result there as opposed to just making their kits which is perfectly fine.

Oops... haha. More info I just didn't know. Oh well. I'll wrap up Group C tomorrow.

TEAM: Ajax

SPONSOR: Amstel (Ajax received a slight dispensation on the location of their ad because of history and the creativity shown.)

RELEVANT HISTORY: Ajax is another young team maturing into it's prime together. Ajax won the Eredivisie again in 2014 and the KNVB Cup and Johan Cruijff Shield in 2014 and 2015.

UNIFORMS:

Ajax_Display_1.jpg

(and when I earlier said, "I L.O.V.E. my PSV concept, so their staying this time around," I actually meant this Ajax set. I got PSV and Ajax mixed up...)

(and when I earlier said, "I L.O.V.E. my PSV concept, so their staying this time around," I actually meant this Ajax set. I got PSV and Ajax mixed up...)

I can see why you liked it so much, the home and away are great, Ajax are one of the most traditional teams around in terms of their home kit so for someone relatively new to the world of soccer and kits it's impressive you stuck how well you stuff to the essentials. The Amstel logo looks a bit weird as it is, would be better IMO totally inside the red band like the Abn-Amro used to be. Away is one of the nicest colour schemes Ajax have used in their recent history too, so good job there. Home gk kit again would work better as a third shirt, but the away is good.

Archived