League of the World

TimEOBrien

TEAM: Galaxy

SPONSOR: American Apparel

RELEVANT HISTORY: After a down season in 2012, The Galaxy have decided to hit the restart button in 2013. Adding to this was the decision by David Beckham, after one last stint in Milan in 2013, to retire after the 2014 season and become an ambassador to American soccer.

Beckham had already managed to get some quality talent from Itlay, England and the Netherlands for the 2013 season, but their regular season success (the 2013 Supporters' Shield) was marred by dysfunctional play during the playoffs, most of which was accredited to a lack of familiarity between all the new players.

Beckham's biggest coup was to convince Man U star and fellow Englishman Wayne Rooney to leave his homeland and sign a long-term deal with the Galaxy. Rooney was more than willing to do this because he felt betrayed by the Balotelli signing in Manchester. A few other European players joined in 2014 and 2015 leading to the Galaxy's new nickname, "Inter LA".

While LA has been successful, team captain, Landon Donovan, left the squad in disgust in part due to the "Internationalization" of the club. He is currently playing for Everton, but rumor has it, he wants to join Portland in the near future.

This success, however, has been muted by the stellar play of the Timbers who have prevented the Galaxy from winning anything since the Supporter's Shield in 2013.

UNIFORMS:

American Apparel got cheeky (as is their want to do...) with their influence on the Keeper Change kit, creating something their models might wear as opposed to a keeper, but they did not break any rules and the kits colors aren't too far off from a standard keeper kit so Del Mondo allowed it but may try to legislate out such shenanigans from happening in the future.

Galaxy_Display_1.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I'm giving this a BUMP because I've been gone for two days and haven't posted anything here. I was going to start back up today with Group B but my internet is acting very strange, I have all but one of the last 10 teams finished, but I cannot upload images to my photobucket without it taking forever.

I'm hoping I can get this fixed today, but the last time I tried to fix the problem I lost my phone line for the better part of two hours. :censored:ing Comcast...

TEAM: Barcelona

SPONSOR: None (as it should be)

RELEVANT HISTORY: Barca has dominated La Liga for years. Messi is clearly the best, most dominant footballer in the world. Barca has won La Liga and Copa del Rey in 2013, 2014 and 2015. Many people claim this dominance is the reason Ronaldo left Real Madrid.

However, Real has been improving by locking up Galácticos left and right and look to truly challenge Barca next season (and possibly in the elimination round of Del Mondo).

UNIFORMS:

Barca_Display_1.jpg

TEAM: Olympique de Marseille

SPONSOR: Michelin

RELEVANT HISTORY: Marseille has not won much of anything over the past few years in Ligue 1, but have fared very well in international play. As this team continues to mature, they will be a force in Ligue 1 but this tournament may be this team's coming out party (international play is their strong suit...).

UNIFORMS:

Marseille_Display_1.jpg

Milan: Swap the green kit with either of the goalkeeper kits and you've got yourself a fine looking set. Milan have never had a green shirt in their history whereas both colours of the goalkeeper kits have been used before.

Barca: Home and away and great, make the away gk a third kit and you've got a great set on your hands, the colour and sash design just don't suit a gk kit.

OM: Everything bang on the money.

TEAM: Juventus

SPONSOR: Kappa

RELEVANT HISTORY: Juve won Seria A and the Supercoppa Italiana in 2015 but their biggest victory came in 2014 when Serie A capitulated and allowed Juventus to wear three stars on their jersey even though they officially had only won the Serie A 28 times.

Fan support, egged on by a disgusting Nike marketing campaign that undermined Serie A's position, led the league to fold up on it's previous stance. While initially viewed in the football world as a pathetic appeasement of a megalomaniacal company and a rabid fanbase, the final details of the deal showed that Serie A still had some teeth.

Juve could wear the stars if:

A.) They built a permanent exhibit to the match fixing scandal in their on site museum.

B.) They pay ?100,000 per season for sportsmanship/anti-cheating/anti-racism campaigns until they get their actual 30th title.

And finally, Serie A banned Nike from creating team apparel and uniforms that would be used by players, coaches or staff. They could still create contracts with individual teams for licensing rights, but no Serie A (or B...) teams can wear any Nike products on or off the pitch.

UNIFORMS:

Juventus_Display_1.jpg

Juve: No matter how many comments me or other people add to how absurd it looks using a manufacturer as a sponsor logo looks you keep doing it! The Kappa logo looks fine on the pink third shrt (maybe a little large still but a vast improvement) on the rest it just doesn't look credible.

Toluca: Everything looks fine here, I just wish the name panel on the back had some follow through on to the front of the shirt also.

TEAM: Real Madrid

SPONSOR: BBVA

RELEVANT HISTORY: Real hasn't won much of anything in La Liga recently but has been improving drastically by locking up new Galácticos left and right and look to truly challenge Barca next season (and possibly in the elimination round of Del Mondo).

UNIFORMS: The BBVA logo on the primary kit is made of a highly reflective but white material, so at certain angles, the kit appears solid white, but with light shining on the front, the logo is clearly visible.

They also have the only V Neck collar in this batch of concepts.

Real_Display_1.jpg

So now that the uniform unveilings are finished, the tournament can get underway.

The final standings of the groups are as follows, with the top two moving onto the elimination round:

DelMondo_Tables_2.jpg

The groupings for the Quarter Finals are as follows. Teams have been reseeded so that the team with the most points plays the team with the least points from the group stage. The higher seed hosts the lower seed:

DelMondo_Tables_3.jpg

(1. Barca 2. Real 3. Juve 4. Ajax 5. PSV 6. Arsenal 7. Timbers 8. Inter)

My only question would be is there interest in voting on the finals. I can just simulate a winner but I figured I might pick uniforms for each game (like so) and let people vote for a winner based on which uniform they like most. Not many people posted comments along the way, but a lot of people have viewed this thread, so I figured people might like to vote for their favorite unis...

• 1 year later...

Archived