Creating a full league question (not sure if right place to post it)

RoughRiders99

Mods, I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this, but I have a question that would apply to several members here. So if necessary, please lock or move it to another place. Thanks.

---

I've been noticing that several members here are starting to (or already did) create thier own league from scratch. I just wanted to know...what made you decide to choose that particular city or state to place in your league? Why would you pick those places? How would you align the league (divisions, conferences?) What kind of rules would you make up for said league? Does the MLB, NFL, NBA or NHL still 'exist' in your universe? Etc etc.

I'm just wondering because some of you guys came up with really creative ideas, such as placing a team that is not quite "popular" while some of you would still place a team where there's already an pro team there?

Just curious to see your insights!

Thanks!

RR99

In my case the league I created was in place of the NFL which started when I was a kid playing football with my GI Joes.

I initially had the same cities as the NFL but eventually changed it with some research.

I chose the bigger cities in the country because I wanted my league to be as realistic as possible.

I also have an NBA league called the NBL which I may start work on after the MLF is done.

I also have an NBA league called the NBL which I may start work on after the MLF is done.

Ooooh, exciting! For me, the only personal league I've posted is the Global Baseball League. The GBL forms in 2030 as competition to the MLB from around the world. I chose the capital or largest cities of all non-MLB countries because I wanted it to be as realistic as possible, like hugevolsfan. In the US and Canada, I chose cities that were more "interesting" but ones that I felt could still support a baseball team. (Cape Cod, Calgary, Brooklyn, Durham, El Paso, Albuquerque) Also, its not like we create these leagues in a week of two. Hugevolsfan had his league when he was little and mine was developed, expanded, contracted and when I finally was satisfied, branded. This whole process took 3 years from when I got the idea, to the completion of the project.

I hope other people post, especially ones who haven't posted their leagues yet.

Yeah, the reason why I was just asking because when I was looking at my fantasy leagues (NFL and NBA) and I asked a few of the members to give their teams a 'realistic' name and it just got me thinking, what if I 'expanded' the league from 10 teams to a full league like 24, 28, or 32 teams (a big what if). I've made a few logos here and there for a few members, so that's how the whole league thinking thing sparked for me.

And I was just wondering how I should select the cities and whatnot. And also another thing that somewhat bothers me is....does the MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL "exists" in our what-if universe because we all know that we always strive for making the league somewhat realistic or reasonable. Like for example, one of the members have a team based in Chicago in both NFL and NBA Fantasy (same person, one of my friends), so that throws me off a little bit.

Just a few examples of teams from my leagues:

NFL - Iowa Barnstormers, Arkansas Outlaws, Florida Weathermen, Chicago Winds, Ohio Blast

NBA - Iowa Reapers, Chicago Cyclones, Georgia Force, Rochester Royals, Ohio Spitfire

Yeah, the reason why I was just asking because when I was looking at my fantasy leagues (NFL and NBA) and I asked a few of the members to give their teams a 'realistic' name and it just got me thinking, what if I 'expanded' the league from 10 teams to a full league like 24, 28, or 32 teams (a big what if). I've made a few logos here and there for a few members, so that's how the whole league thinking thing sparked for me.

And I was just wondering how I should select the cities and whatnot. And also another thing that somewhat bothers me is....does the MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL "exists" in our what-if universe because we all know that we always strive for making the league somewhat realistic or reasonable. Like for example, one of the members have a team based in Chicago in both NFL and NBA Fantasy (same person, one of my friends), so that throws me off a little bit.

NFL - Iowa Barnstormers, Arkansas Outlaws, Florida Weathermen, Chicago Winds, Ohio Blast

NBA - Iowa Reapers, Chicago Cyclones, Georgia Force, Rochester Royals, Ohio Spitfire

those are actually teams in the red

spacer.png

I would say you are going a little heavy on the state names. Also, this isn't a problem but you want a good mix of alliteration and non alliteration and also a mix of animals/people and ideas such as force, blast, or spitfire. Those nicknames would never be found in one of the major leagues, but if you want an Arena Football or Minor League type league, go with it.

I know a few of those teams were based on real teams (beside the Georgia Force) and I was fine with that because if the Washington Nationals could bring the name back, why not us?

I wanted Iowa (my teams) to have the name Iowa because I feel Des Moines isn't quite "large" enough to have the moniker of Des Moines being part of the team name (beside hockey).

Plus, those other names were chosen by the members themselves, not me.

I recently created both the IRBC (global roller bowling congress of 128 teams) and the FALR (12-team American football league in Romania).

The IRBC was created out of old teams that I had created in high school along with brand new teams. When I first created it, I was going to have an all-star league with respect to the associations' leagues I had made. At the time though, it wasn't the truly global congress that I wanted, only having 96 teams in 4 associations on 4 continents (N and S America, Europe, Oceania/Australia). As I was adding an Asian association and a (eventually) South African association, the target number was 128, so that the IRBC World Cup Tournament (new idea which replaced the all-star league in the expanded IRBC) would be fully realized. Now, I had created teams for Asia before, but they weren't a united association like the one in the IRBC thread. I also had created teams for Africa as well, but none in South Africa. All in all, that was a fun thread to do and I'm glad for the feedback I got.

The FALR was a experiment to see if the response would warrant creating leagues such as that in other European countries.

sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

I have a 50-team soccer league that is on extended hiatus until I have time to fix some serious issues with the jersey template I'm using. (There is a bug in it that won't let it save properly in Inkscape, and I don't want to use a different template, so I'm having to go through and retrace all the templates. That takes more time than school allows at the moment.)

These are the rules I used in determining the franchises I needed to fill out 50 teams:

"The first step was determining which cities to award franchises. First off, I looked at a list of the 50 largest cities in the US, and compared it to a list of the 50 largest metropolitan areas in the US. Any city that appeared in both lists automatically got a franchise. Metropolitan areas containing more than one of the fifty largest cities only got one franchise, with the largest city being the official host of the metropolitan area....

"This left me with 14 franchises to award. If one of the remaining metropolitan areas did not contain one of the fifty largest cities, but in real life hosts a MLB, NBA, NFL, or NHL franchise, it was in....

"To determine my final five franchises, I first looked at my nine remaining cities and 6 remaining metropolitan areas. If a city was in a state that already had a franchise, it was ruled out. If a metropolitan area bordered or nearly bordered a metropolitan area with a team already, it was ruled out. This gave me five....

"Then I realised I miscounted! I needed another city! I had three metro areas that fit the qualification of coming close to another metro area with a team (Hartford, Louisville, Providence--not doing Riverside-San Bernardino because I don't want too many California teams). Of the three, Providence has gone the longest without a major-league franchise (yes, I'm counting the ABA), so that makes Team #50."

rATMcmK.png

Archived