A new look for the Chicago Rush

rvrdgsfn

There's a fallacy that exists, one that implies to some people that this rendition of the Arena Football League is, due to the acquisition of its branding, somehow the same league as (or a revival of) the original AFL. It isn't, in any way, shape or form.

Those who were involved in the original AFL are for the most part long gone. The guys running this one are the clowns who ran AF2 back in the day, and ran it poorly. Compared to Jerry Kurz, David Baker as Commissioner was Pete Rozelle... and considering how Baker's actions decimated the original AFL, that's saying something.

These guys are finished. Arena Football, properly managed, can be a viable business. Unfortunately, these guys have no clue as to how to properly manage their product - and sadder still, they only need look at the original league's early history to learn how to do it. The only question is how long before they'll all realize they're finished. I give 'em 'til the end of the year, maybe after 2014, after which they'll fade into oblivion (and likely bankruptcy).

nav-logo.png

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stopped in Rockford this afternoon to check out the IceHogs' equipment sale (and more importantly, register to win a pair of Hawks playoff tickets). I overheard one of the Hogs' employees talking to a couple of loyal ticketholders about the Rush playing in Rockford this summer, and heard him say that since the team reverted back to league ownership, a third "home" game was being moved to the MetroCenter. I mentioned to him, "hey, you might be getting eight or nine home games next season", and his response was "I sure hope so. We were trying to line up five for this season, but we could only get the three."

So, I'm certainly inclined to think we'll see the Rockford Rush next season. You know, if there is a next season, which always needs to be taken into consideration in Zombie AFL. Still, the league will be moving from a 17,000-seat arena in Market #3 to a 6,500-seat arena in Market #158, and there's certainly no guarantee they'll even fill the latter, especially with ticket prices starting at $17. What an amazing failure.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

$17? They were $8 in Chicago just a couple of years ago. Before the collapse even, perhaps.

And of course the AFL will call them the Chicago Rush even if they play in Rockford. There's a Chicago airport there, y'know. :)

Honestly, the AF2's AFL (Zombie AFL works for me) should have stayed a mix of markets. Moving Tennessee Valley to Atlanta and Bossier to New Orleans and Tulsa to San Antonio (did I miss any?) can't possibly be a sustainable model for this league. They are AF2+ at best. But moving Chicago to Rockford would be something I just can't see them doing unless they are trying to pass it off as a suburb. It's just up the road from Allstate Arena, right past Sears Centre.

The af2 survivors bailed because the zombie AFL's business model (such as player salary and travel) was more than they could afford. Those markets weren't viable under the zombie AFL's setup.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Asking prices for Rush tickets at Allstate this season: $10-$100

Games in Rockford: $17-$67

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yeah, rams80, I think they went the wrong route from the start on their business model, knowing what they knew from the original AFL. Seems they're repeating history.

And nice to see the Zombie AFL is trying to pull a Toronto Bills on Rockford, Sodboy. (OT: You going to the Sox garage sale? I've gone twice before and found some interesting stuff.)

Sun-Times reporting it's likely the Rush will play the rest of this year's home schedule in Rockford. Arenafan reporting that Kurz told the players about the move Friday. They were none too pleased, to put it gently. Sunday's game against Arizona featured no video, no audio, no stream, no lineup cards, and an announced crowd under 5,000. That's how it ends.

Wow. What's the point of the league taking over if they aren't going to salvage the team?

If they really try to pass the Rockford Rush off as the Chicago Rush next year... nah, there's no way there's a next year. Too bad. Either way, R.I.P. Chicago Rush.

Archived